JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   getting cold feet (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2681011-getting-cold-feet.html)

ChicaChels September 23rd, 2013 10:14 PM

getting cold feet

I did this with my last pregnancy, too....we planned on naming Hunter "Maverick" the whole time..then i chickened out because of peoples' reactions to the name

Do you think it's a good name? His name will be Maverick Jude...im wanting to order letters for the nursery but I am so hasty!

ashj_1218 September 24th, 2013 08:24 AM

Re: getting cold feet

I do think it's a great name. I cant find a single negative thing to say about it. I am sorry others do. It's strong, masculine-sounding, comes with a variety of nicknames, has a second more "classic" sounding middle name if he so chooses when he is older, sounds fine for a doctor or lawyer.

I think everyone is always going to have an opinion. I get comments on all three of my kids names. Liam's usually the common factor (oh, that's really popular right now). Kieran is usually "that's unique" (aka: ugly. Lol). And Josephine is either "old-fashioned" or "why would you shorten such a pretty name to Jo, why not Josie (I hate it)."

You really won't win them all over. But once it's tied to a kid, a cute little face, people will be less inclined to give an opinion.

Momtothe6thpower September 24th, 2013 10:05 AM

I love the name and would totally use it!!

I understand the feeling though. I loved the name Romilly with my last but didn't think I was brave enough to use it. I really thought I would go with Camilla but we didn't make a final choice until she was born and she was definitely a Romilly. There was no backing out once I saw her and I'm so glad we waited to decide because had I not used it I think I would have always regretted it.

ChicaChels September 24th, 2013 08:52 PM

my best friend absolutely HATES the name and constantly remarks about it saying things like "what are we going to do about this 'maverick' situation?" or "so have we come up with any other names to over ride the maverick phase?" it's bugging me. i love the name but she keeps telling me shes going to call him Rick if i name him that...i do NOT want anyone calling him rick. Our intent is to call him Mack or MJ

~mama2monkeys~ September 25th, 2013 05:12 AM

The next time she brings it up, I'd bluntly tell her that the name ISN'T going to change. And to stop bringing it up. You and DH like it, that's all that matters ;) I think it's a great name!!

redbirds September 25th, 2013 08:37 AM

Pfft on your BF!!! Maverick is an awesome name. She needs to keep her mouth shut, and I think part of her reason for constantly bringing it up is so she can get your goat. When she carries a baby and goes through all of the m/s and aches and pains, deals with the fevers, the diapers, the teething, the teen angst, etc... THEN she can name her baby. You just have to tell her it is what it is and if she doesn't like it, she can just keep comments to herself and RICK is not an option.

I love it!

Thunderlily September 25th, 2013 10:59 AM

Maverick is what we plan to name this baby if it turns out to be a boy :-) I LOVE the name and what it stands for! Your friends comments is one reason we don't share names until AFTER baby is born - we are the ones picking the name, nobody else has a say in it.

ImagineOctober September 25th, 2013 11:50 AM

Maverick is NMSAA, but I think you should definitely use it if you love it. My BFF hates my #1 boys name, but I just roll my eyes at her and tell her she already got to name 3 kids. I would definitely never waiver because someone else/others disliked a name, only if myself or my DH weren't in love with a name.

mlbsnb September 25th, 2013 01:56 PM

I love the name Maverick! Don't worry about what 'common folk' think...us namers know it's Fantastic! :)

Jlynn September 25th, 2013 06:14 PM

I love Maverick Jude! Use it!! Once baby is here the name will grow on everyone.

BamaLove September 26th, 2013 07:34 PM

I really like the name :)

ChicaChels September 26th, 2013 08:26 PM

We didn't really tell her we planned on using it, she just asked bc it was our top choice for hunter. Thank you all for the support. I'm 99.9% sure we will use it.

Spider123 September 28th, 2013 07:32 PM

My adult son's rommate is named Maverick and he loves his name, so it passes that test. I hope you use it!

adi&co. September 29th, 2013 01:43 AM

Love the name Maverick! It's one of those that I can see on any age of a person, baby to successful adult, kwim? I love how you added the simple one syllable jude as the middle name too. makes it a very strong name without being a total mouthful. fits very well together!

ChicaChels September 29th, 2013 04:54 PM

my mom was Judy Ann..she passed away when I was 17 so i wanted to do something for her. My daughter's mn is Ann so i feel like this is a good way to work in her first name :wub:

what would you call a kid named maverick? does rick seem like a natural nn? im really stressed about that..i hate it

adi&co. September 29th, 2013 06:00 PM

I would totally call him Mav

Spider123 September 29th, 2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adi&co. (Post 27690580)
I would totally call him Mav

That's what my son calls his roommate.