JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   In search of a girl name! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2681725-search-girl-name.html)

mkljmom September 26th, 2013 07:25 PM

In search of a girl name!

I know it is a little early, but we are clueless on our girl name. . The ones I like, he does not and vice versa. My 4 year old wants to name it Sassafrass and call her "Sassy".

Owen is my husband's, his father and grandfather's middle name. We are pretty set on using Owen for the girl middle name, unless I get brave and use it as a first name. I might spell it Owyn to make it look feminine. <- BE HONEST. I am the hardest person on the planet to offend, what does everyone think about Owen/Owyn for first name for a girl?? If ya like it, then middle name suggestions?

Names we have thrown around but not in love with them...
Molly
Natalie
Mallory
Presley
Isley
Melanie
Matilda (nn Tillie)

I'm really funny about it going with my other kids' names. (I'm from a family of 7 kids, the girls were 'A' names and the boys were 'D' names) I would like a name ending in 'ie' or 'y' if we can find one that we like!

Siblings-
David Maxwell (Max)
Lucy Rose
Kirby Grace
Jaycie Faith

BamaLove September 26th, 2013 08:16 PM

Re: In search of a girl name!

I really like the gender neutral names alot :) I think if you are happy with it then go with it. I really like Owyn for a girl though.

mkljmom September 26th, 2013 08:19 PM

Thank you! It is growing on me:). I think if I use it for a first name, I would want a definitively feminine middle name. Nothing jumps out at me so far. Any middle name suggestions for Owyn?

ducksaresnazzy September 26th, 2013 08:42 PM

i like Mallory Owen, from your list. you could call her Molly for short. i love the idea of using Owen for a first name, but am not really lovin' the "y". having a more boyish name is unique enough, she doesn't really need the creative spelling.

first name suggestion, Owen middle name:
Carly
Marcie
Harlie
Paisley

middle name suggestions for Owen:
Cecilia
Jillian
Madeline

Momtothe6thpower September 27th, 2013 01:37 PM

I have the name Elowen/Elowyn on my list (that I will never use) of favorite names. It has an Owen connection while still sounding very feminine.
There's also Rowen.

y and ie endings...
Romilly nn Milly
Adelie
Sadie
Cassidy
Finley

mkljmom September 27th, 2013 08:23 PM

hmmm...I kinda like Elowen/Elowyn. I will ask DH. Molly seems to be the one we keep coming back to but I don't *love* it. My other kids' names we just *knew* when we found the right one. I guess we just haven't found it. I really like Millie, but a good friend named her daughter that last year.

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom is my favorite book. She was an amazing woman. I really like Corrie, but DH is not a fan. I don't think Corrie Owen sounds good either so I guess that is out.

mkljmom September 28th, 2013 07:16 AM

A new one we are talking about....what do you think of the name Story?

Story Owen? Molly Owen?

lol Idk why we are spending so much time on this since there is only a 50% chance it will be a girl. I guess it is better to be prepared!

redbirds September 28th, 2013 08:02 AM

I'm not fond of Owen/Owyn as a girl's name, and I'm pretty easy going with gender-neutral names. However, I do love Elowen! :wub:

Also, how about:
Bryony
Ellery/Ellory
Ainsley
Kelsey
Everly
Gilly/Jilly (Gillian/Jillian)

My DD's swim teacher was Story and she was very energetic and sweet. It's an OK name, not one I'd choose for my kids, but I wouldn't roll my eyes, either ;)

ChicaChels September 28th, 2013 11:38 PM

I wouldn't se owyn but I've always thought the name was more feminine. I like the spelling with the Y. My daughter is Brylie and I think Brylie owyn sounds nice, too. :)

adi&co. September 29th, 2013 01:54 AM

I'm not a fan of story owen. I don't think it flows well, just my opinion.

stephanie owyn
kaylie owyn
brynnlie owyn
sadie owyn
sydnie owyn
sassafrass owyn, (heehee!)

Carwen*Angel September 29th, 2013 06:43 AM

Love the idea of Owyn for a girl.

You could run with the Sassy idea - Saskia. I think Saskia Owyn sounds nice.

Other ia names would work I think - Lydia, Kezia, Nadia, Samia, Talia, etc.

Otherwise I would go for a three-syllable -y ending name - Melanie, Melody, Emily, Bryony/Briony, Mallory, Coralie, Amity, Cassidy, Valerie, Verity, Harmony.

Momtothe6thpower September 29th, 2013 01:10 PM

Corrie reminded me of Colbie. I love Colbie for a girl but Colbie Owen would scream all boy to me. I think Corrie Owen would to.

Story can be a nickname for Astoria. It's not my favorite but it's not bad either.

I really like Molly Owen.

mkljmom September 29th, 2013 02:07 PM

i&co.;27688986]I'm not a fan of story owen. I don't think it flows well, just my opinion.

stephanie owyn
kaylie owyn
brynnlie owyn
sadie owyn
sydnie owyn
sassafrass owyn, (heehee!)[/QUOTE]

LMBO...Sassafrass Owen! We lovingly call her/him sassafrass already ;)

Sadie and Coralie are growing on me...I also like Delaney/Delanie...keep the suggestions coming!

I like Brylie but we know like 3 of them!

moxiemommie September 29th, 2013 02:35 PM

If mines a girl, zoey rose, but I like Jule ( jewel but were doing 4 letter theme- or)I also love Lyla.

moxiemommie September 29th, 2013 02:44 PM

I love Ellowyn. You can call her ellie for short and it adds a feminine touch to owyn, I like the name I considered it for my boys. Ellowyn. Yep. Love it! Hopefully dh will too for you!

mlbsnb September 29th, 2013 02:44 PM

I am not a fan of Owyn at all. The y is God-awful. Misspelling names to make them look more feminine is a really bad trend that is going to go down in flames - just like all bad trends do.

I love the name Owen.....for a boy. I generally like unisex names, but not Owen. Owen is very burly and strong sounding IMO (and it means young warrior, which adds to its masculinity).

What about Rowen / Rowan? It has Owen in it but seems softer to me.

I don't mind using a male name as a middle name. Molly Owen is my favorite! A solid classic that won't make people gag in years to come!

Few other ideas -

Coralie Owen
Roxie Owen
Everly Owen
Sadie Owen
Felicity Owen

Feel the beat October 10th, 2013 06:19 AM

Owyn Isabelle was may first thought!

Lilly Owen/Owyn
Carly Owen/Owyn
Milly Owen/Owyn
Sadie Owen/Owyn
Jenny Owen/Owyn
Briony Owen/Owyn
Macie Owen/Owyn
Rosie Owen/Owyn
Stephanie Owen/Owyn
Valerie Owen/Owyn

nan2b October 11th, 2013 09:02 AM

I just love the names Emmarie and Aubrynne....however my daughter nixed them.....

GingerMomof3 October 24th, 2013 06:06 PM

Owen/Owyn wouldn't be one of my picks for a girl, but I totally understand wanting to use a family name and if you like it, then go for it :)
Here are some combinations that came to me:
Kady Owen
Owen Grace
Gracie Owen
Everly Owen
Brinley Owen
Carly Owen
Jolie Owen
Owen Mae or Mae Owen
Paisley Owen

ashj_1218 October 24th, 2013 06:38 PM

I think Delaney Owen sounds really good! I love the honoring if the middle name. I would just do it in it's pure form in that case, although I am not opposed to Owyn.

I also think Sadie fits with your other names really well. That's only the second time I have heard of a girl named Kirby. One of my best friends growing up was a Kirby. :)