JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Baby name Oscar (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2684156-baby-name-oscar.html)

Brookem October 7th, 2013 12:48 PM

Baby name Oscar

Our surname is crazy hard to pronounce and spell so we need to offset that. It's similar to "Bordignon" and it sounds nothing like it looks.....

What is the FIRST thing you thought when you read "Baby name Oscar"?

UncetainMommy October 7th, 2013 01:05 PM

Re: Baby name Oscar

My first thoughts, "Oh that sounds nice, I wonder if my SO would go for it."

adi&co. October 8th, 2013 12:30 AM

I thought "I love it!"

momology October 8th, 2013 09:20 AM

I like it :) It isnt my style but I think its cute.

Karen182 October 8th, 2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brookem (Post 27709536)
Our surname is crazy hard to pronounce and spell so we need to offset that. It's similar to "Bordignon" and it sounds nothing like it looks.....

What is the FIRST thing you thought when you read "Baby name Oscar"?

Honestly? "the Grouch".

It reminds me of an old man. I have trouble seeing it on a child. It also comes across as an ethnic name in my opinion. I've had several Oscars come through my classroom, and they were all Hispanic.

ducksaresnazzy October 8th, 2013 09:47 AM

i thought of how Leonardo DiCaprio does not have one.

as a name, i like it. it's unique.

topato October 8th, 2013 11:01 AM

it's been on my list, but as oskar, which is the german spelling.

Brookem October 8th, 2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen182 (Post 27711827)
Honestly? "the Grouch".

It reminds me of an old man. I have trouble seeing it on a child. It also comes across as an ethnic name in my opinion. I've had several Oscars come through my classroom, and they were all Hispanic.

Yeah, the grouch thing I will just have to combat. The ethnic thing has crossed my mind also (my sister thinks it's incredibly Hispanic as well) and with our last name it has me wondering..... But the old man thing I don't get??? They were babies at one time too! It's funny to me that people only think of names as old man names. It kind of makes it more appealing to me :). Some day people are going to say "Amanda? That's for an old lady!" Hahaha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by topato (Post 27712091)
it's been on my list, but as oskar, which is the german spelling.

I love Oskar! just don't want him to be constantly correcting spelling of his first and last name.

Feel the beat October 9th, 2013 06:38 AM

Love it!

topato October 9th, 2013 09:02 AM

"I love Oskar! just don't want him to be constantly correcting spelling of his first and last name. "

yeah, we have a pretty crazy last name too, extremely german and hard to spell, which is why we passed. i actually talked my dh out of lots of very german sounding first names-- his long time favorite was sigmund. it didn't make sense to me to give our kid a name that made him sound like his family just moved to the states from germany, when really, he's a complete mutt, and maybe an eighth german in total.

btw, we went with harvey clark BECAUSE it's an "old man name". we're actually brainstorming another one that's similar in style, in case we end up with a second ds.

adi&co. October 9th, 2013 09:43 AM

I have to correct everyone on my first and last name. when people ask my name, I just spell it. honestly he'll get use to it and it won't be that terrible of a thing. it doesn't bug me that I nobody ever says either of my names right. it's quite amusing actually

My2miracles October 9th, 2013 10:03 AM

I love the name Oscar! I don't think of The grouch at all or an old man.

Mrs.Julie October 9th, 2013 05:57 PM

No one can ever spell our 4 syllable superfluous last name. Im used to it and its no issue. Just choose the name you love :) The first thing I think of with Oscar, is the cat. Its a very nice name.

Brookem October 10th, 2013 12:01 PM

Thank you everyone! I am rejuvenated about the name. We still have 14 weeks to go so things could always change but for now it's looking like Oscar is a pretty strong contender!

CityLover October 16th, 2013 05:59 AM

The grouch :) It just comes to mind first.
That said, that wouldn't actually bother me. I think it's a cute name.

padilladania October 17th, 2013 08:27 AM

Love :)

ashleyind November 18th, 2013 03:56 AM

I thought.. i love it!:)

Rainbow Momma November 18th, 2013 08:16 AM

i first thought, thats my boss's fiance's name! but then i thought i liked it:)

melaniek85 November 28th, 2013 06:36 PM

I think Oscar the grouch, but I also know a little baby named Oscar, it's a cute name.

Solveig November 29th, 2013 09:50 AM

I love the name Oscar. We are/were considering it as a middle name if we have another boy (pregnant with twins). We would spell it Oskar though which is the traditional spelling in my home country.