JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   I need a girl name! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2688702-i-need-girl-name.html)

AtomicMama October 28th, 2013 08:35 AM

I need a girl name!

DH and I are waiting on #3, and while it's still early, the name fight is already pretty heated. We don't want to find out the baby's gender, but we cannot decide on a girl name to save our lives.

We have:
Samantha Jean (Sam)
Maximus Derek (Max)

For a boy, we will either use:
Calvin Michael (Cal)
Leonidas Michael (Leo)

But we can't get anywhere on a girl's name. We had agree on Callaway originally, but we are second guessing it because it takes Calvin off the table if we have a boy in the future (and we would like one more after this baby).

He loves Althea, and I just can't get on board with it. I struggle pronoucing it correctly, and it just feels weird on my tongue.

I like classic names like Elenor, Louisa, Helena, or Eloise. I also love Quinlyn, but DH says no way.

So...what would YOU name my baby girl :lol: I need all the help I can get! We also have no middle name. I'd like to use a family name (either Catherine or Rose), but it isn't necessary. And it doesn't have to have a 3 letter nickname.

GingerMomof3 October 28th, 2013 09:54 AM

Re: I need a girl name!

My tastes sound like yours, I like classic names also. A lady here suggested for me to Google popular Victorian names and there were a LOT of names on the list that I LOVED. That might help you out also. But I love discussing baby names so here are some that popped up in my head:
Instead of Callaway , so you don't rule out Calvin as a possibility in the future, I think the name "Carrington" is pretty and is similar.
I also like: Everly, Abra, Olivia, Fiona, Bianca, Clara or Claire, Gracelynn, or Gracen, Eliza (that's the name we plan on going with if we were to have another girl. I could go on and on, but those are a few that I thought of first :) I'm like you tho, Althea just doesn't roll off my tongue very smoothly.

Stickybean19 October 28th, 2013 10:09 AM

hmm idk cuz I like unique names, so idk if I will be much help but here are some my SO discarded
Tiana
Xada ( pronounced exzada)
Lilly
Zahara
Candace

those are just a few... we decided on Chloe Mae and Clayton Michael

AtomicMama October 28th, 2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerMomof3 (Post 27763873)
My tastes sound like yours, I like classic names also. A lady here suggested for me to Google popular Victorian names and there were a LOT of names on the list that I LOVED. That might help you out also. But I love discussing baby names so here are some that popped up in my head:
Instead of Callaway , so you don't rule out Calvin as a possibility in the future, I think the name "Carrington" is pretty and is similar.
I also like: Everly, Abra, Olivia, Fiona, Bianca, Clara or Claire, Gracelynn, or Gracen, Eliza (that's the name we plan on going with if we were to have another girl. I could go on and on, but those are a few that I thought of first :) I'm like you tho, Althea just doesn't roll off my tongue very smoothly.

I love your list! I actually really like Carrington, and Carrie is a super sweet nickname, too. I love Bianca and Fiona, but they've been vetoed by DH already, haha. I'm going to test out Eliza, too, I love it! Thanks for the suggestions!

topato October 28th, 2013 03:10 PM

what about theadora? it's old fashioned, and it's got the "thea" element that althea has.

(theadora is one of my all time fav names!!)

also, one i thought of when reading the names you like is estelle.

white.house October 28th, 2013 03:22 PM

Oh, I like Carrington!

Althea IS really hard to say, it doesn't seem to roll off the tongue easily. What other names does he like? It's hard for me to gauge what his style is...

I love Eloise!

Here are some other suggestions that I think of when I see your list:
Isla
Adeline
Matilda
Cassie/Cassandra
Madeline
Stella

ducksaresnazzy October 28th, 2013 06:34 PM

Colibri (cole- ih- bree) is pretty, and i know you said this wasn't important, but you could call her Bri.

AtomicMama October 28th, 2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild&free (Post 27764619)
Oh, I like Carrington!

Althea IS really hard to say, it doesn't seem to roll off the tongue easily. What other names does he like? It's hard for me to gauge what his style is...

I love Eloise!

Here are some other suggestions that I think of when I see your list:
Isla
Adeline
Matilda
Cassie/Cassandra
Madeline
Stella

He pretty much ONLY likes Althea, and whenever we talk names that's all he'll say.

I love Eloise, and his grandma is Eloise, so I thought it was perfect! He disagrees.

I also love Matilda and Madeline and I've brought up Cassandra a few times with no luck. I just have to keep wearing him down, I guess. Or get him to at least move past Althea.

ladybugmomma October 28th, 2013 10:37 PM

What about Vivian? I love it. And Viv would go nicely.

smithwillsam October 29th, 2013 03:23 AM

What is think about the names........

Vivian
Eloise
Colibri
Isla
Adeline
Matilda
Cassie
Madeline
Stella

They names are good and cool, It sound very well.

melaniek85 October 29th, 2013 09:23 AM

Arelta
Arenda
Clara
Eleanora
Lenore
Viola
Elsa
Elsie
Helena
Lena
Alma

My2miracles October 29th, 2013 12:41 PM

Yeah I'm not a fan of Althea either. It just doesn't role well.

Claire & Clarice were top of my list if ds had been a girl.

Dorothy (Dot)
Clara
Clarrissa
Molly
Jillian
Louisa
Mabel
Darcy
Marcy

AtomicMama October 29th, 2013 01:26 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions :) I'm going to have to read DH the list and see if he could get on board with any of them!

amberbanegas October 29th, 2013 10:05 PM

Sofia? (So-fee as a nick name)
Margaret? (Margo, Marg, Margi)
Alaina
Charlotte Rose
Scarlett
I like ODD "made up" names, My DH likes classic names:)

adi&co. October 29th, 2013 11:20 PM

WHAT AMY YOU'RE PREGNANT?!?!?! We are no longer friends! I can't believe you didn't text meeeee!!!

AtomicMama October 30th, 2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adi&co. (Post 27767446)
WHAT AMY YOU'RE PREGNANT?!?!?! We are no longer friends! I can't believe you didn't text meeeee!!!

I'm SUCH a bad friend!! We aren't telling ANYONE in real life until January, and I consider you an IRL friend, and I just didn't even think about it! We are making a huge announcement in January. Ugh! I feel terrible now!! But seriously, not even my family or his family know (or will know) until then.

Rainbow Momma October 30th, 2013 10:46 AM

The classic names i really like are Nora and Rose

adi&co. October 30th, 2013 07:39 PM

ok fine I forgive you :) <3 i'm so excited for you!!

mlbsnb November 5th, 2013 03:02 PM

With classics like Samantha and Maximus (which are fantastic btw) I like:

Caroline Rose

Cecelia Rose (Celia or Cece or Cecily)

Hannah Rose

Annette Rose (Annie)

Amelia Rose (Mia)

Susannah Rose (Susie)

Chelsea Rose (Sea)
Tallulah Rose (Tally/Lula)

Meredith Rose (Edie)

Frances Rose

Katherine Rose (Kate)

Helena Rose

Lauren Rose

Delilah Rose (Lila)

ashleyind November 18th, 2013 04:52 AM

Claire, Fiona, Olivia, Violet would be my pick:) So many pretty names here!! I love all the suggestions.. why doesn't your hubby agree?!!lol:D