JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Love this name, but do I need to change spelling? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2705310-love-name-but-do-i-need-to-change-spelling.html)

Valerie123 January 26th, 2014 06:13 PM

Love this name, but do I need to change spelling?

I was a foreign exchange student and my roomate was Cambodian. Her name was Srey (pronounced sir-RAY with the "sir" being a very soft sound).

Here's audio:
How to Pronounce Srey - PronounceNames.com - YouTube

At 17, I was sure I'd use the name if I ever had a girl. My roomate thought that was a great idea- as the name meant "girl" and apparently is quite popular (and she loved her name- its just so pretty!)

Well, my husband isn't sold on it. Our rules for naming are no more than 3 syllables, easy to spell, not on any top 100 lists, and: when someone reads it they intuitively can pronounce it.

It is the last rule he says this name is breaking. So the question is: did you get the right pronounciation? If not- any suggestions for a spelling change?

I've thought of "Serey" as "e" before "r" is traditionally pretty soft.
Sirey I think looks like Sir-ee

Ugh! Good thing is I still have 8 months to convince DH I'm right, lol. His top picks aren't bad, though: Joan or Annabel. I love both of those, too. Truth is, I love most girl names :p

ashj_1218 January 26th, 2014 06:40 PM

Re: Love this name, but do I need to change spelling?

I got it right away. And I'm not one to know how to pronounce things. I think with there being no vowel, it makes it likely to be said correctly, since the S is diminutive when it's followed by a recognizable sequence (if you followed that AT all!). It's pretty, very unique.

amberbanegas January 26th, 2014 07:16 PM

I heard the name (Sa-Yuri) //Not sure how to spell it// And it is similar to Srey. I thought Sirey would be a sure win… No way ANYONE could say it wrong like that.

CaylaDixon2014 January 31st, 2014 01:29 PM

I like the name

butterfly721 February 1st, 2014 09:02 AM

I think it is pretty and very unique. I don't think you need to change the spelling.

I also really love the name Annabel.

ducksaresnazzy February 1st, 2014 04:43 PM

i pronounced it in my head as "swrey". the lack of a letter between the "s" and "r" threw me off. i personally would spell it "Seraye". i'd tack the "e" on the end because plain "Seray" or even "Srey" when i first saw them they looked like masculine names.

momology February 7th, 2014 07:40 AM

I think it is very pretty. I could see leaving the spelling or maybe Serae or Seraye? Very unique :)

katie27 February 15th, 2014 12:28 PM

Sounds like the name Soraya. Maybe you can use Suray? Or Soray? For the same sound? Surey looks like Suri/Surrey to me.

GalaH0614 February 15th, 2014 01:55 PM

I got it and think you should not change it.

LadyG630 February 15th, 2014 06:13 PM

I have a student who pronounces her name that way. She is Hispanic and spells her name Saray...

My2miracles February 17th, 2014 10:58 AM

The lack of letter between the s & R threw me as well. I was close but would pronounced it as a 1 syllable work instead of 2. I can't write it phonetically lol but it would have sounded more like sr ay.

I think it's very pretty and that some of the other spellings would be easier for people to process. I think my favorite is Serae.

JaeSung February 17th, 2014 03:29 PM

I'd have pronounced it as one syllable too. Sounds masculine to me. Not sure how I'd change the spelling.

Valerie123 February 18th, 2014 08:57 AM

It is one syllable- The SR is like the SR in Sri Lanka.

Srey has a lot going on with three sounds in one syllable. Kinda like the word "screech."

I talked to my old roomie: she recommended Serey for an Americanization. It takes the SR and makes it into a full syllable. Serey is also an actual Cambodian name, meaning "beauty"

So, going to go with that, methinks! Although I also like the "Serae" spelling that was suggested, too. Srey is very feminine to me, but that may be because I know a woman with the name. Will have to think about whether "Serey" is masculine looking.

Thanks all, for your input! It has been really helpful.

My2miracles February 18th, 2014 10:40 AM

Your original post had it as 2 syllables --- Sir-ray so I'm not sure why you are now saying it's only 1. Sir ay to me is 2 syllables. Not knowing I would pronounce it like gray with an s instead of a g. 1 syllable. I would not pronounce SR like SRI. Not to mention to me Sri Lanka is pronounced Shree Lanka.

All that being said, I think it's a pretty name. It's ok to go with the original spelling of Srey. Just know that she will spend a lifetime correcting people. If your ok with that go with it. I have an easy to pronounce American name & live in America and get my name misprounounce all the time. I deal with.

Kristin (nothing tricky at all just Kris tin) but I get Kristine, Kirsten, Kyrsten, Christian - you name it.

Valerie123 February 19th, 2014 07:43 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing. In the original post I tried to be clear that sir was a sound, not a syllable. But, I posted an audio link because I knew my explaination was a bit confusing.

In English we don't really have any words that start with the "sr" sound. So that is why I spelled out the pronounciation as "sir".

I'm sorry if my last post came across as rude in any way: that wasn't my intention at all.

But you are 100% correct: Srey does rhyme with grey... Wish I'd have thought of that one- it is a great way to get the idea of the sound across. So, if I do go with Srey I'll def. use that explanation instead!