JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Honest opinions on my names. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2714542-honest-opinions-my-names.html)

wishfulgal March 30th, 2014 07:31 PM

Honest opinions on my names.

So we thought we had settled on a girl named for our baby due in May. We were pretty settled on Summer Elizabeth. But now we are having some second guesses due to "summer" being such a common word when referring to the season (I can't wait for summer" or "It's been such a long, hot summer.") I have always loved the name but have never personally known anyone by that name. I think it is really pretty but I just don't know if it comes with too much baggage.

Our other choices are:

Molly
Sadie
Claire

Thoughts? Opinions? Do you know anyone with the name Summer? Was it confusing?

robinerikson March 31st, 2014 10:14 AM

Re: Honest opinions on my names.

The only girl I know with name Summer is the girl from the movie "500 Days of Summer". :) Anyway, I'd go for Sadie.

Sylvera March 31st, 2014 11:26 AM

My husband and I were also planning on naming our daughter Summer (if it's a girl, of course). I think it's a beautiful name. ;) That said, I'm perhaps a bit biased, lol. I've never heard of it being confusing and everyone who I have told seems to like it.

With that said, of your backup names, I think I would go with Claire... just personal preference!

AmyLM March 31st, 2014 02:08 PM

I knew a girl named Summer and it wasn't confusing at all. I'm not a fan of the name, though. It's just a little odd to me for people to use seasonal names; Autumn, Summer and I know a little girl named Snow. Summer certainly isn't a name I roll my eyes at though.

I like your other names a lot with Claire being my favorite. My dd#2 is named Claire. I really like the name Sadie and would use it myself but we had a dog named Sadie.

Baby3September March 31st, 2014 04:49 PM

My 2 year old daughter's name is Summer Grace and I think it is beautiful!!! Summer is my favorite girl name in the world. I find it such a pretty, feminine, and happy name. We've never had any confusion with her name. Well, one time I said something like, "She needs shoes for summer... like summer time", but whatever, certainly not enough of a hurdle for me to not use my favorite girl name. I get compliments on her name all the time! It is also not overly used. She is the only Summer we know.

wishfulgal April 1st, 2014 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby3September (Post 28024019)
My 2 year old daughter's name is Summer Grace and I think it is beautiful!!! Summer is my favorite girl name in the world. I find it such a pretty, feminine, and happy name. We've never had any confusion with her name. Well, one time I said something like, "She needs shoes for summer... like summer time", but whatever, certainly not enough of a hurdle for me to not use my favorite girl name. I get compliments on her name all the time! It is also not overly used. She is the only Summer we know.

I can see myself beginning to refer to the season as "summer time" just to avoid confusion. I do think it is a very pretty name and have loved it every time I hear it.

neon April 1st, 2014 06:54 PM

Love Summer!

Spottts April 2nd, 2014 07:58 PM

I like Summer. I knew someone with that name growing up and it wasn't confusing.

From the list, "Molly" is a widely known/used nickname for Ecstasy. Just putting it out there in case you didn't know. It's a great name though. I had suggested the name Molly to DH and later that same night on a tv show heard the reference to the drug by that name. DH had a big "I told you so" moment over that one.

ImagineOctober April 2nd, 2014 11:34 PM

I like Summer best from those you've listed. I had a Summer in my school program, never was an issue with the word summer. I like Sadie best out of the others.

Hopingfor1soon April 3rd, 2014 01:15 PM

I love Summer! Super cute!

I have known plenty of girls named Summer, June, Autumn, April, even a Winter and have never had any issues with confusion. If you love it I would stick with it.

That said if you change your mind I really like Claire as well!

My2miracles April 4th, 2014 10:49 AM

I like the name Summer. Out of the other names, I like Claire the best.

lizbitz16 April 4th, 2014 08:53 PM

Claire Elizabeth is beautiful and timeless!

KellBell2621 April 5th, 2014 11:56 AM

First, you have excellent taste in names.. Molly, Claire, and Sadie were all on my list for my daughter lol...l really like Sadie the best though. But if you love the name Summer go with that! Pick whichever you truly like

palmetto_moon April 8th, 2014 01:08 PM

I love the name Summer Elizabeth. I think it's perfect!

Momtothe6thpower April 8th, 2014 03:42 PM

I love all your choices! I don't find Summer as a name strange or confusing at all.

chubbyclouds April 9th, 2014 01:05 AM

i actually have a classmate named summer before but the bullies in school teases her every time its winter or spring.

Shades of Grey April 15th, 2014 09:58 AM

One of my best friends in HS was Somer. It wasnt weird or confusing other than she had to correct the spelling of her name often. I like Summer most of the names on your list.

Kayakgirl May 7th, 2014 07:52 PM

I think Summer is a beautiful name. As far as people making any associations with the season, I don't see how that could be a bad thing. The thought of summer makes me smile and think of warmth. My daughter's middle name is Sunshine, which some people think is silly, but how can Sunshine not make you smile? Same as Summer!

catmom11 May 8th, 2014 12:11 AM

I only know a movie character named summer and have not met anyone yet with such name. Among the other three, I like Claire. :)