JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Is there anything that's wrong with my girls names? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2716059-there-anything-thats-wrong-my-girls-names.html)

futuresinglemommytobe April 11th, 2014 10:23 AM

Is there anything that's wrong with my girls names?

I showed my list of favorite girl names to someone and they said "These names are horrible." I'm just wondering what exactly is wrong with them, or if it's just personal taste, (ie she has much different taste then I do)

Abigail
Amelia
Cassidy
Ella
Elizabeth
Elaine (will be oldest daughter's middle name.)
Hazel
Jenna
Linnea
Lydia
Lily
Melody
Natasha
Rose

AmyLM April 11th, 2014 01:04 PM

Re: Is there anything that's wrong with my girls names?

I think it must be just personal preference. I would ask what they think a "great" name is. Everyone has their own naming style. I like most of the names on your list and even have a few on my own list. Plus, I might borrow some of yours and ask what DH thinks of them!

futuresinglemommytobe April 11th, 2014 02:28 PM

I figured it was just personal taste, just wanted to make sure that the names weren't too horrible.

Adding to my girl's list:
Lorelei

What names did you borrow from my list?

AmyLM April 11th, 2014 04:16 PM

Jenna, Melody and Natasha are some that I hadn't considered. We just found out we are having another girl (3rd!) and names are getting difficult so, when I hear or see a name I like, I write it down and dh vetoes it! I really like the name Natalie but we have a good friend with that name and don't really want to name our baby after anyone so, Natasha might be a compromise to that. :)

happy-ness April 12th, 2014 01:32 AM

I don't see anything wrong with your choices at all although if your personal preference is for trendy modern names they're probably not going to be your cup of tea. Personally I like almost every name on the list, I love Abigail, Rose, Amelia, Elizabeth & Lily, they're really pretty and I've considered all of these for my own if we have a girl.

Spottts April 12th, 2014 05:52 AM

Nothing is wrong with those names. I've considered a number of them. I'm hoping to get DH to love Lorelei.

The only one that doesn't seem to "fit" is Cassidy, to me, because I know it as a last name so it doesn't make me think "girl" which all of your other names do. It is still a nice sounding name, though and I wouldn't bat an eye over hearing it used as first name.

MusicFanatic79 April 12th, 2014 04:43 PM

You have a few of my favorite names on your list (Lydia, Lily, Amelia). Nothing wrong with those. Personal tastes.

Shades of Grey April 12th, 2014 05:57 PM

Nope there is nothing horrible on your list. They are not my style either, but they certainly arent bad!

Baby3September April 13th, 2014 05:36 AM

I agree, your list looks great. My favorites from your list are Melody and Lydia. Picking a name is so hard!

robinerikson April 14th, 2014 07:28 AM

I agree, it was just personal taste. Your list is awesome, except for "Cassidy," I consider it as a last name or a boy's name. :)

AmyLM April 15th, 2014 08:55 AM

I have a niece named Cassidy and a good friend with a little girl named Cassidy so, I see it as a little girl's name....a cute spunky little girl. :)

My2miracles April 15th, 2014 10:28 AM

All great names. That person was not only nuts but very rude!

Becca M. April 15th, 2014 10:39 AM

Names are just personal preference. Definitely nothing wrong with what you have picked out!

partyofeleven April 17th, 2014 11:38 AM

Nothing horrible about those names. Most of them have held up strong through many generations. They have a traditional, vintage feel to many of them. Most of our girls have names along that vein and some even from your list. :)

Naming is very personal. Not just the style of names, but particular names too. There are some lovely, old-fashioned names that I love but then I don't love because of some specific connection I've made with them along the way.

I am totally stumped for girls names this time. I'm going to look over your list again. :)

palmetto_moon May 2nd, 2014 04:27 PM

Your names are fine! People just have different styles and tastes and what makes a great name to one person is horrible to another. I learned my lesson about being overly worried about what others think when I would let my opinion be swayed by someone online making a negative comment, only to look in their siggy and see that their children were named names I'd never want to consider. Just different styles is all! I loved many of the names on your list. Just pick what you love. These boards are great for making sure that there isn't some serious flaw you've overlooked or something you hadn't thought of or to make sure that like...all 23 people who posted aren't ALL saying "Horrible!" but overall, no one name will be loved by everyone, and if it is, it won't be for long, b/c it will be too popular for some. Just pick what you love!

Kayakgirl May 7th, 2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyLM (Post 28038522)
I really like the name Natalie but we have a good friend with that name and don't really want to name our baby after anyone so, Natasha might be a compromise to that. :)

I also loved the name Natalie but my cousin had a little girl named Natalie about a year before my DD was born so I chose the name Nadia. Natasha is great too and I considered that for my 2nd, but hubby didn't like it.

And for the original poster, some of the names on your list aren't my cup of tea (for instance Lily, Abigail and Ella are too popular around here so I wouldn't pick them personally), but they are by no means horrible. I hope whoever said that to you was joking - and I'd be real curious to know what she considers good names.