JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Ella (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/444885-ella.html)

djr January 27th, 2007 09:44 PM

names, names, names....
i dont know what to think,
OK so usually my style of names is not in the the top 50
BUT i am in love with the name ELLA....
it is very popular!!! How do you feel about the name? like it dislike it?
Would you use a name even if its very popular? I just dont want her to have 4 other Ella's in
her class and have to go by Ella R.
tell me your thoughts????
oh' another question....
my family always uses a family name for the middle name, and i want to do that honoring my grandmother and her name is Viola..
does that sound bad? Ella Viola
thanks ladies....
Please give me honest opinions, i can take it!!! :wub:

Acadia January 27th, 2007 10:18 PM

Okay, I'll be honest, I promise. ;)

My style is not "trendy" or Top 100 either! I agree that Ella is pretty though. And I used to like it quite a lot.

Unfortunately, I won't use it now. I don't want a daughter to be "Ella R." like you said (even though if she were mine she'd be "Ella D."). And really, the way I am, I wouldn't care if it were in the top thousand! I don't want my kids to ever meet another person (at least no one else in our hometown) with the same name. My DF's name is (or was, when he was born) "unique". It's Damien. He does get his fair share of "devil" comments but he loves his name. My name, on the other hand, is Lauren Michelle. Talk about an 80's trendy double whammy! Every other girl was named Lauren or Laura and the rest had the middle name Michelle. I got stuck with both. :angry2: So I do not want my kids to ever have that.

Now I would have to say I dislike it because of the popularity.

Ella Viola is okay for a combo ... I don't absolutely love the sound but it's okay, and you won't use the middle name much anyway.

Katzchen January 27th, 2007 11:09 PM

Ditto to most of what Lauren said, except I was Kate/Kathleen in a grade with 5 Katies, another Kate, two Katherines and a Katelyn.

I would probably find another name (like Stella or Tessa) that has a similar vibe.

As for Ella Viola, it doen't have the best ring to it, but if it honours a loved one and you like it, go for it!

::er!ca:: January 28th, 2007 06:57 AM

I do like the name, even though it is popular. If you do use it there is a great chance that there will be more than 1 Ella in her class room... but really, I don't see that as a big deal. She will still be Ella. I'm not a fan of Ella Viola, but since it honors family you should use it anyway.

I prefer Ellia over Ella

djr January 28th, 2007 08:27 AM

THANKS LADIES....
erica i like ellia, guess i havent thought of that...

***Andrea January 28th, 2007 09:18 AM

I think it's pretty. I hear it alot on JM, but I don't think it's that common IRL, at least not where I live...

Ellia is really pretty too!

Melanie. January 28th, 2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

My name, on the other hand, is Lauren Michelle. Talk about an 80's trendy double whammy! Every other girl was named Lauren or Laura and the rest had the middle name Michelle. I got stuck with both. :angry2: So I do not want my kids to ever have that.[/b]
I'm Melanie Dawn and was almost Crystal Dawn.
Talk about 80's, I hate my name.

I love Elle and I'm going to use a variant with Elle as the nickname.

Any of these could work for you:

Ellia
Elliana
Elaina
Eleora
Elwyn
Elise
Elin
I think maybe even Elizabeth could be an Elle, Ellie, or Ella.

suthernWVswthrt January 28th, 2007 02:09 PM

I LOVE the name Ella...I considered it for a middle name for Meredith. It is popular but chances that you'll actually have more than one in a class isn't that high. My name is Emily...and that's super popular but I don't run into a lot of people with this name. So just because it's popular doesn't mean it's popular in your area.

I don't like Viola...and I don't really think it goes with Ella. What about Ella Violet? Still similar.