JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   New here... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/448740-new-here.html)

Krystal January 31st, 2007 06:11 AM

Ok, unfortunately DH and I really like all the "popular" names. Any help would be appreciated!

Boys..
Liam
Owen
Ian

Girls..
Chloe
Addison
London
Fiona

Acadia January 31st, 2007 08:01 AM

Well if you're trying to find a more "unique" name that you and DH still like, I recommend starting here: http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/.

Read "Name Fashion" under Articles, Advice, and Ideas to find out why names like that are popular now and what the next cycle of "trendy" names might be. Maybe you'll like one of the ones that are slated to be popular in 10-20 years (Doris, Elsie, Blanche, etc), and then your kid would be "ahead of the curve", so to speak. That might mean fewer problems since the other people with that name will be in a different age group!

Below "Name Fashion" read "Alternative replacements for some tired and/or trendy names". It's a chart listing, obviously, all the alternatives to names like Caitlin, Alexis, Addison, etc. Aside from your own names just look at all the "trendy" names listed, and check out the alternatives. See how they're alike and how they're different, and maybe you'll be able to find another you like.

For your names it lists:

BOYS:

Liam - Eliam, Elam, Leir, Eamonn, Kieran, Egan, Leland
None listed for Owen and Ian yet.

GIRLS:

Chloe - Cleo, Noa, Zara, Esmé, Daphne, Phoebe, Romy
Addison - Madigan, Adeline, Adelyn, Maitland, Murren, Maren, Marian, Marianne, Ellison, Morrigan, Mattea, Madden, Madeley, Matheson, Mattingly
None listed for London or Fiona yet.

Also click on "Other Name Lists" and check out "Sick of Regular Names?". They're meant to be very unique but some of them are very similar to the trendy names. See what you can find. If nothing else it will help you learn better what you like and what you don't.

Good luck!

::er!ca:: January 31st, 2007 08:03 AM

Welcome :)

I love Liam, it is so adorable! Owen is growing on me but not a name I'd use on my own child. I love Addison, it is my daughter's middle name. I also think Chloe is adorable!

annasmom January 31st, 2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Well if you're trying to find a more "unique" name that you and DH still like, I recommend starting here: http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/.

Read "Name Fashion" under Articles, Advice, and Ideas to find out why names like that are popular now and what the next cycle of "trendy" names might be. Maybe you'll like one of the ones that are slated to be popular in 10-20 years (Doris, Elsie, Blanche, etc), and then your kid would be "ahead of the curve", so to speak. That might mean fewer problems since the other people with that name will be in a different age group!

Below "Name Fashion" read "Alternative replacements for some tired and/or trendy names". It's a chart listing, obviously, all the alternatives to names like Caitlin, Alexis, Addison, etc. Aside from your own names just look at all the "trendy" names listed, and check out the alternatives. See how they're alike and how they're different, and maybe you'll be able to find another you like.

For your names it lists:

BOYS:

Liam - Eliam, Elam, Leir, Eamonn, Kieran, Egan, Leland
None listed for Owen and Ian yet.

GIRLS:

Chloe - Cleo, Noa, Zara, Esmé, Daphne, Phoebe, Romy
Addison - Madigan, Adeline, Adelyn, Maitland, Murren, Maren, Marian, Marianne, Ellison, Morrigan, Mattea, Madden, Madeley, Matheson, Mattingly
None listed for London or Fiona yet.

Also click on "Other Name Lists" and check out "Sick of Regular Names?". They're meant to be very unique but some of them are very similar to the trendy names. See what you can find. If nothing else it will help you learn better what you like and what you don't.

Good luck![/b]

Ohhhh Mattingly!!!!! Being a huge Yankees fan, I love this name, but my DH isn't going for it.

MamaBx3 January 31st, 2007 08:51 AM

Welcome to the Board ! :smile:
My bf and I have the same problem ! We like a lot of the really popular names . :rolleyes:

From your lists I like :

Liam
Owen

Chloe

I really like Addison but see it more as a boys name .

Good luck !

**Jenn** January 31st, 2007 09:38 AM

It all depends on your area as to what is really popular. What may be popular in one area isn't necessarily popular in another. My son's name is Liam and I don't hear it at all around me. If popularity doesn't bother you than go with what you love. Personally we decided on the name Liam for our first son well before we even got pregnant so I really don't care if its popular or not.

From your lists I like:
Boys..
Liam :wub:
Ian

Girls..
Fiona
[/quote]

nbbang January 31st, 2007 10:34 AM

I really like your boys names--I have those on my list too! My favorite is Owen, then Liam, then Ian. I have never met a kid in my area with any of those names, so to me, they are not considered too popular (like Jack, Cayden is everywhere).
For your girls names, my favorite is Chloe. Addison is just way too trendy and rising, plus there are so many baby Madisons, I personally wouldn't use it. I don't like London as a name. Fiona could grow on me!

Kristel81 January 31st, 2007 10:57 AM

I like Liam, Ian & Fiona! :)

jayjay January 31st, 2007 12:58 PM

Out of those, I only like Fiona! :)

*PurpleMidnight* January 31st, 2007 01:35 PM

Out of your names I like
Boys..
Liam
Ian

Girls..
Chloe

~Danielle~ January 31st, 2007 02:50 PM

From your list I like..

Liam

Girls..
Chloe
London

Jeb-O January 31st, 2007 03:02 PM

Liam and Addison... then again I like Liam Addison together for a boy.

suthernWVswthrt January 31st, 2007 03:34 PM

I like:

Owen
Addison :wub:
London

April62005 January 31st, 2007 04:42 PM

I love Chloe and Owen! They're names that have been aroud (not made up, lol) but you don't hear them too too often...

Best of luck!

TanyaD February 1st, 2007 07:54 AM

I like Owen & Chloe from your list...those are the only 2.

mlee February 1st, 2007 08:08 PM

I like Owen and Fiona.

maymay February 2nd, 2007 07:04 PM

Quote:

Ok, unfortunately DH and I really like all the "popular" names. Any help would be appreciated!

Boys..
Liam
Owen
Ian

Girls..
Chloe
Addison
London
Fiona[/b]

Love all your names! You don't hear London or Fiona very much...and how fun is it to say "Fiona!" :wub: :wub:

LondonAndAthensMommy February 22nd, 2007 12:46 AM

I don't think London is that common, thats why I chose it..

Quote:

Boys..
Liam
Owen
Ian

Girls..
Chloe
Addison
London
Fiona[/b]

my little one is london..

Quote:

Quote:

Boys..
Liam
Owen
Ian

Girls..
Chloe
Addison
London
Fiona[/b]

Love all your names! You don't hear London or Fiona very much...and how fun is it to say "Fiona!" :wub: :wub:
[/b]

jag-mama February 22nd, 2007 03:04 AM

Boys..
Owen :wub:

Girls..
Chloe :wub:
Addison :wub:

~Danielle~ February 22nd, 2007 08:40 AM

From your list I like..

Boys..
Liam

Girls..