JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Is the name Meredith Reese really that awful!? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/455708-name-meredith-reese-really-awful.html)

suthernWVswthrt February 5th, 2007 04:50 PM

After getting so much crap for Sydney's name the last time around...I decided this time I wasn't going to tell anyone Meredith's name. I only told a few close friends...almost all of them spelled her name Merideth...which really bothered me because I didn't think it was a hard name to spell. I was talking on the phone last night with my grandmother and I accidently let it slip that her name was Meredith. My grandmother nearly had a fit. She was already upset the last time that I had chosen my other grandmother's name for Sydney's middle name. So the fact that I had chosen yet another family name from my dad's side made her furious. So went on and on about how it was an awful name and my child would never look like a Meredith. I tried to tell her that it's also a variation of Mary...which was great grandmother's name on her side of the family but she just wouldn't listen. So all today I've been getting phone calls from family members commenting on the name. My aunt called and she was like "so you're naming your daughter Meredith?" I told her yes and she goes "like Meredith Grey!?" I so infuriated. I was like "you do know the name existed before that show right!?". Then when she found out the name was Reese she went on and on about how Meredith and Reese were only names for people with blonde hair. I mean seriously have you ever heard of such a thing!? I guess certain names now come with a hair color to match.

Please honest opinions...is Meredith Reese that terrible!? Should I consider changing it!?

nikke February 5th, 2007 04:52 PM

reese is cute! i don't particularly like meredith, but it's your baby... your family will get over it once they meet her and see how adorable she is

BrownEyedGirl February 5th, 2007 04:58 PM

I wouldn't worry about it too much; if you love the name, that's all that matters. If they aren't giving birth to her, then they're opinions really don't matter. They will get use to the name as soon as she is born and they fall in love with her. While I dislike the name Meredith and would only use Reese on a boy and spelled Rhys, you've been planning on naming her that since the beginning (as far as I can remember anyway?), so I wouldn't change it unless YOU want to.

MamaBx3 February 5th, 2007 04:58 PM

EMILY !

I LOVE MEREDITH REESE !!!

Please don't change it - I adore the combo . Personally I think it's gorgeous !

I've always really really loved Meredith . I think it's a beautiful , classic name .
I think Reese is so sweet .. It adds to the combo perfectly .

If you love it --- USE IT !

Honestly - I get SO many stupid comments on Vae's name .. And really - I don't even care anymore !! Who cares - It's YOUR baby . Name her what YOU want .
When people say something dumb to me I just smile and say "that's nice ! She's not Your child now is she ?!"

Be strong ! If you love it ----------- USE IT !

**Jenn** February 5th, 2007 05:01 PM

While its personally not my style its a pretty name. And you obviously love it so don't let anyone try and change your mind! We ran into the same thing when we told people Liam's name--we never heard the end of it. We're not telling anyone this baby's name til after its born for that very reason. I think you'll regret it if you change it to something deemed more "appropriate" by your family. She's your daughter and you have the right to name her whatever you want and why people feel that they can comment on that is beyond me. She'll be born, she'll be adorable, her name will fit her, and your family will like it because they'll love her. Stick to your guns!

Katzchen February 5th, 2007 05:04 PM

Meredith isn't my style, but I do think it is a very pretty name. I'm not so big on Meredith Reese as a combo, but that is because I don't like Reece as a girls name. I do think the two names sound find together.

*PurpleMidnight* February 5th, 2007 05:33 PM

I think if you like it and want to use then use it!! Its not up to your family to choose YOUR childs name and if they want to name a child then they should go and have one that they can name. Just my thoughts though.

elliebean February 5th, 2007 06:06 PM

i'm absolutely in love with the name meredith reese. i would use the name meredith in a heartbeat, but can't for personal reasons. reese is so adorable. the only reason people probably think reese is associated with blonde hair is because of reese witherspoon. i wouldn't change this name for the world. seriously, it's absolutely gorgeous and you clearly love it. use it. don't listen to family, they had their chance.

Acadia February 5th, 2007 06:13 PM

They can't spell Meredith? Can they spell at all!?

The idea of not telling the name until after the birth is exactly what I'm going to try to do as well. I just can't take the complaints. :rolleyes: I KNOW I would just tell someone to shove it and then there would be a huge fight!

And how exactly are Meredith and Reese "names for people with blonde hair"? :blink: If I try to imagine a generic "Meredith" I see dark hair. :unsure: That's a really silly reason to pick a certain name for your baby anyway ... and besides, who the heck knows what color hair she'll have? Maybe she'll have blonde hair! Not that it matters but how stupid is that to worry about!?

No, Meredith Reese isn't terrible. I suppose if you wanted to you could tell them "Okay I changed my mind ... the baby's name will be Dottie Ja'Miyyakah LaRoux Smythe-Higgins IV and that's that." Then you could listen to all their moaning about Dottie Ja'Miyyakah LaRoux and how stupid it is to give your kid the made-up last name Smythe-Higgins especially when she's going to be "IV" and there's never been anyone with that name before. :lol:

Then when Meredith Reese is born you could say "Oh I decided the first one was better" and maybe they'd be happy! ;)

bootyqueen February 5th, 2007 06:22 PM

Girl, it's your baby, and if you want to name her Princess Consuela Banana Hammock, it's your decision and your family should back you up, no matter what.
Luckily, you are not naming her Princess Consuela Banana Hammock, but Meredith Reese, which is a very pretty name for a little girl. I'm 25, I have no clue who Meredith Grey is, and neither will her peers.
Ignore their complaints, because once she's born, they'll be cooing over their "Sweet Little Meredith".

Until then:
:lalala:

Evvy February 5th, 2007 06:26 PM

I think it's a very pretty, unique but not crazy name. And FWIW, the only Meredith I've ever known had jet black hair. And I don't know who Meredith Grey is either, lol.

Elysia February 5th, 2007 07:01 PM

Well I have noticed that you and I don't have nearly the same taste in names but I really like Meredith Reese...It's a gorgeous name IMO and It's YOUR child...if you like the name then stick with it. They'll get over it eventually and if they don't then it's their problem

April62005 February 5th, 2007 07:02 PM

I've tried to reply 3 times now! LOL...computer issues...

I think it's a great classic, "just-girly-enough" name. Not made-up either.

And, as you said, it happened to be a name before "Grey's Anatomy."

I love it! Keep it if you love it!

P.S.. Meredith Reese sounds great as a first and middle name.

Joni927 February 5th, 2007 07:08 PM

I've never cared for the name Meredith. It sounds like an old lady to me. I like Reese, though. I think you should name your baby whatever you like. They'll deal with it. :)

Lash February 5th, 2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

EMILY !

I LOVE MEREDITH REESE !!!

Please don't change it - I adore the combo . Personally I think it's gorgeous !

I've always really really loved Meredith . I think it's a beautiful , classic name .
I think Reese is so sweet .. It adds to the combo perfectly .

If you love it --- USE IT !

Honestly - I get SO many stupid comments on Vae's name .. And really - I don't even care anymore !! Who cares - It's YOUR baby . Name her what YOU want .
When people say something dumb to me I just smile and say "that's nice ! She's not Your child now is she ?!"

Be strong ! If you love it ----------- USE IT ![/b]
i have to agree 200% with britanie... love it, keep it, stay strong. its beautiful and you like it

mlee February 5th, 2007 08:05 PM

I know exactly how you feel about family members opinions. I haven't told anyone our final choice (which I hope is our final choice!) because I don't want to hear it if someone isn't in agreement.

Personally I think Meredith Reese is a very pretty, classic name. Both names sound really nice together too. And despite the popularity of Grey's Anatomy, Meredith is still not overused. (I think Addison is the one getting overused because of that show) But ultimately, it doesn't matter where you get the name from. What's important is whether or not you love the name and whether you feel it is the right name for your baby girl. And you shouldn't have to explain or defend your choice to anyone. IMO, you definitely should not change the name!

ImustBeNuts06 February 5th, 2007 09:06 PM

The name is personally NMS, but it's your baby and you have the right to name her whatever YOU want...not your relatives. You will be the one to birth her and to stay up late for feedings, diaper changes, etc. I have decided not to tell anyone this time around my choices. I went off on my MIL last time around and told her unless she planned on pushes this baby out of her vagina then it wasn't up to her what the name is!

Melanie. February 5th, 2007 10:11 PM

I might not agree with you on most names and spellings, but I really love Meredith Reese. :wub:

They need to mind their own business and quit being cruel.
You don't need this from anyone, let alone family members. You need support, you're having their family member. They need to grow up.

PS: Consider buying your friends a Hooked On Phonics dvd for Valentine's Day.

ladyellise February 5th, 2007 10:32 PM

Omy!! If my family went on about the name I have for my son I'd be so offended. You seem really strong and they're lucky they werent talking to me. I do not think the name Meredith Reese is a bad name at all, it's not my style but it's far from being a bad name, I'd say stick with it! :D

jag-mama February 5th, 2007 11:16 PM

I love it and think it goes well with your other daughters name.