JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Ngaire (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/456134-ngaire.html)

Elysia February 5th, 2007 11:16 PM

WDYT? it's pronounced Nah-ree and is maori in origin, I would love you use this or something similar for a future daughters mn too honour my mother but It doesn't really go with anything...

LovinMyLilFamily February 6th, 2007 12:48 AM

I think the pronunciation is pretty but I think it will cause a lot of problems for her growing up. Most people will have no clue how to pronounce her name. However, that can happen with easy names too. My name should be easy for people to pronounce yet people mess it up all the time.

elliebean February 6th, 2007 05:21 AM

it sounds pretty, but the spelling wouldn't tell you that. i would never have imagined that's how you say it. that'll be problematic.

suthernWVswthrt February 6th, 2007 05:38 AM

I don't like this name at all!! Prefer it spelled Nahree.

LovinMyLilFamily February 6th, 2007 05:48 AM

Quote:

I don't like this name at all!! Prefer it spelled Nahree.[/b]
This isn't the kind of name you change the spelling on. It's Maori in origin. That's how it's spelled.

Lash February 6th, 2007 06:27 AM

i thought it was nah-gair

not a big fan of this one... prn is pretty

MamaBx3 February 6th, 2007 11:00 AM

I don't like it

Angelica81 February 6th, 2007 11:09 AM

I think it's really different and when pronounced properly, it's very pretty. But she will, for the rest of her life be correcting people on the pronounciation.

Katzchen February 6th, 2007 11:22 AM

I think its really pretty. I like names that have meaning. Do you live in NZ? If so I don't think people would really think twice about the spelling once they learned how to pronounce it.

It may be difficult if you live elsewhere, though.

mom2LyricStoryLegend February 6th, 2007 11:31 AM

As long as it doesn't bother you to have people mispronounce it all the time, I think the name itself is really pretty.

Elysia February 6th, 2007 12:20 PM

Actually I live In Australia, I know what you mean about the mispronounciation my mother gets nah-gar-ee all the time from telemarketers and such. I would only use it as a middle name but it's hard to find anything that goes with it or sounds similar

~Danielle~ February 6th, 2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

I think it's really different and when pronounced properly, it's very pretty. But she will, for the rest of her life be correcting people on the pronounciation.[/b]
:ditto:

Katzchen February 6th, 2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Actually I live In Australia, I know what you mean about the mispronounciation my mother gets nah-gar-ee all the time from telemarketers and such. I would only use it as a middle name but it's hard to find anything that goes with it or sounds similar[/b]
Just going with names from you profile, I think Mattea Ngaire or Elora Ngaire might work. I don't think the spelling/pronunciation issues are a big deal for a middle name, since its not like other people would be using the name on a daily basis.

MommytoOliviaandCole February 6th, 2007 01:59 PM

NMS

*PurpleMidnight* February 6th, 2007 02:29 PM

its ok.

bootyqueen February 6th, 2007 02:36 PM

I really like it, and I certainly wouldn't change the spelling, it's a huge part of what makes the name unique.
I love that it's of Maori origin... Beautiful name. :smile:

ladyellise February 6th, 2007 03:00 PM

it's nms

Joni927 February 6th, 2007 09:11 PM

I think it'd be a cute middle name and if I'm pronouncing it right, I think it'd go well with pretty much any 3 syllable first name that doesn't end in an EE sound. :) Good luck!