JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   What whould you name... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/460037-what-whould-you-name.html)

Katzchen February 8th, 2007 02:07 PM

Rivka's sister?

I have finally settled on Rivka Garnet for our first daughter, but need ideas for a name for a little sister, should one ever exist.

It must be a Hebrew/ Jewish name and the middle name must be some variant of Elizabeth...

Names like Miriam and Leah are okay, but they seem a little pale compared to Rivka (the Hebrew form of Rebecca).

Any ideas ladies?

Acadia February 8th, 2007 02:43 PM

Hm. Do you know what variant of Elizabeth you'd like to use?

suthernWVswthrt February 8th, 2007 04:02 PM

Here's some suggestions:

Emily
Tyra
Pamela
Kylie
Sharon
Maya
Roselyn
Tori
April
Quinn
Kennedy
Alexis
Christiana
Natalie
Libby
Kira
Heidi
Molly
Dylan
Ariana

Katzchen February 8th, 2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Hm. Do you know what variant of Elizabeth you'd like to use?[/b]

Elizabeth/ Elisabeth are the top contenders right now. The grandmother we are honouring is Elzbieta, but has gone by Betty since moving to the US in the '50's. We can't use her name exactly due to Jewish traditions.

We definitely don't want to use Isabel/ Isabella or Alyssa, but are open to other varients.

nbbang February 8th, 2007 04:23 PM

Is there a list or compilations of names that are OK choose from? I know Biblical names but not the Hebrew variants of them.

Here's some suggestions so far (just straight from the Bible)

Kezia (Cassia)
Sapphira (thought that might be a nice link to Garnet)
Phoebe

As for Elizabeth variants--would Aliza or Eliza work? Elisheva?

Of course, just the classic Elisabeth is great too. I prefer it with the S over the Z.

Katzchen February 8th, 2007 04:41 PM

Quote:

Is there a list or compilations of names that are OK choose from? I know Biblical names but not the Hebrew variants of them.

Here's some suggestions so far (just straight from the Bible)

Kezia (Cassia)
Sapphira (thought that might be a nice link to Garnet)
Phoebe

As for Elizabeth variants--would Aliza or Eliza work? Elisheva?

Of course, just the classic Elisabeth is great too. I prefer it with the S over the Z.[/b]
Well, my husband has approved Leila, Noa, Abigail, Leah, Hannah and Miriam. I like names like Aviva, Delilah and Chaya. There is a good list of Hebrew names here

I love the name Keziah but it (along with Jemima/Yemima) has strong history as a slave name in the US, and it would be insensitive to use them.

Sapphira is pretty on paper but sounds horrible to my ear and Phoebe is a New Testament name, I believe.

As far as Eliza and Elisheva, I am open to whatever sounds best with the first name. I just don't care for Isabel, Isabella and Alyssa because they are very popular right now.

Melanie. February 8th, 2007 04:46 PM

Aww, yaay. I love Rivka.
Rivka Garnet. :wub:
I really like Isabel (spelled only this way). :(

I really like Liora with Rivka.
Liora:
Elizabeth
Lise
Elisa

I love Liora Elizabeth. :wub:

Acadia February 8th, 2007 05:05 PM

I really like Miriam Eliza. But I'm coming back to this after dinner when I have some free time!

nbbang February 9th, 2007 01:58 PM

Thanks for posting to the link of names, I checked a few out and found some more I liked:
Sela, Zara, even Aliyah (though Aliyah might be considered trendy now).
Out of your husband's names, I like Miriam the best, mainly b/c I hear Leah, Abigail, and Hannah a lot. I don't hear Leila, but it is similar to Lily and the like. I'm afraid Noa will just be associated with "THE" Noah, as I just hear it and automatically think of the ark. It's too much associated with a man for my to consider it a girl's name.
I LOVE Aviva, that is probably my favorite!
BTW, I don't think Keziah has as strong of a slave history as something like Jemima. I grew up in the south and have never heard that. I would definitely associate Jemima with slavery but not Keziah. But I can definitely understand the turn off if you associate it with that.

Good luck narrowing down the field. Let us know when you have a few favorites put together.

Katzchen February 9th, 2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting to the link of names, I checked a few out and found some more I liked:
Sela, Zara, even Aliyah (though Aliyah might be considered trendy now).
Out of your husband's names, I like Miriam the best, mainly b/c I hear Leah, Abigail, and Hannah a lot. I don't hear Leila, but it is similar to Lily and the like. I'm afraid Noa will just be associated with "THE" Noah, as I just hear it and automatically think of the ark. It's too much associated with a man for my to consider it a girl's name.
I LOVE Aviva, that is probably my favorite!
BTW, I don't think Keziah has as strong of a slave history as something like Jemima. I grew up in the south and have never heard that. I would definitely associate Jemima with slavery but not Keziah. But I can definitely understand the turn off if you associate it with that.

Good luck narrowing down the field. Let us know when you have a few favorites put together.[/b]
I love Aviva, but then (if I have 4 kids, I want to have at least 4...) it would be Oliver, Rivka, Aviva and Jonas. The lack of 'v' just makes Jonas sound so out of place :lol: I guess its not a big deal because I may have only one girl or none at all...

I agree with you about Hannah, Leah and Abigail. They are even more popular in the Jewish community. Leila/Layla is getting popular too.

I like Noa a lot, but don't ever think that I would use it since Noah is the English form of Noach.

I think Miriam Eliza/ Miriam Elisabeth is the best option now, but Miriam just seems so pale in comparison to Rivka.

I really need to convince DH that Mia or Maya is a great nn for Amalia. He insists on shortening it to Amy, and I have nothing but bad associations with that name.

SchwarzeWitwe February 9th, 2007 10:18 PM

I'm going to tackle the Jewish/Hebrew names tack, as I know more about it than forms of Elizabeth.
Names in my family or my Temple classes (as a child):

Miriam (my aunt). I know you said it "pales," but I LOVE this name!!
Hannah (me)
Inez (grandma)
Marilyn
Rachel (As you probably know, this is the name of MANY girls in the Jewish community)

Mindy
Mitzi
Norah (music teacher)
Deborah
Esther
Elisheva

Here! My favorite name site. And here are names related to, or variations of, Elizabeth.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.