JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Territorial over names? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/460287-territorial-over-names.html)

scubagirl80 February 8th, 2007 06:34 PM

I posted something like this in another thread....but do any of you get territorial over names? By that I mean--do you guys have a name that you have loved FOREVER that is now becoming really popular? The three names that I have loved since I was very young (I've always thought about baby names, even as a child) are Alexandra, Charlotte and Gabriel (for a boy)....now I feel like all three are taking off. I used to like Jacob and look what happened to that :confused: Sorry, just a bit of a rant...hehehe....When I found out my pregnant cousin was going to name her daughter Alexa (which I hate), I told her that it was a cute name but that she had to be aware that if I had a daughter, she was going to be an Alexandra no matter what :devil:

So...what are the names you have loved for a long time that are unfortunately becoming very popular? Are you still going to use those names?

MamaBx3 February 8th, 2007 06:38 PM

I don't really care how popular names are .. If I like them I'll use them .

But if someone in my family knew I loved a name and they were going to use it than yes , I'd be mad :lol:

*kyle* February 8th, 2007 06:57 PM

I always dreamed of naming a daughter Alyssa, and I still think it's a gorgeous name, but has lost some of its appeal to me as it became so popular over the last 5 to 10 years.

I also get annoyed when really good boy names get coopted by girls, and don't sound as masculine anymore. Examples of names I love for boys but are more girl names now include Taylor and Cameron.

maymay February 8th, 2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

I don't really care how popular names are .. If I like them I'll use them .[/b]

so ditto! It's hard for me to seee someone dropping a name that they LOVE b/c it's popular.

Angelica81 February 8th, 2007 08:06 PM

Since I was a little girl I've adored the name Isabella. Now it's becoming really popular but I don't care. haha I told my BF he didn't really have a choice on the name if we had a girl :lol: Luckily he seems to like it too.

For a boy I've always loved Jacob, but that's just not an option as we already have a couple kids in the extended family with that name.

Acadia February 8th, 2007 08:51 PM

Genevieve is getting more popular now. I used to love it so much. :(

I know it's kind of silly to care how many people have that name, but I had a popular name and HATED it. I don't want my kids to hate their names too.

SchwarzeWitwe February 8th, 2007 09:23 PM

Isabella, Alexandra, and Genevieve are my top 3 for a girl. Now they're popular.

Julian is my absolute #1 for a boy. I hate how it's booming.

Elysia February 8th, 2007 11:22 PM

Alexandra, Isabelle, Gabrielle are some of my fav girls names that are getting real popular atm though luckily for me my top name (Brynn) is still pretty unique though I bet with my luck by the time I am ready to have a baby that name will be super popular...for boys Alexander, Jonah and unfortuantly my top name Noah are getting real popular...though popularity wouldn't stop me using it

suthernWVswthrt February 9th, 2007 06:12 AM

I used to not care that the name was popular, but I'm one of those people that sees someone else with a kid named that and think "omg that's MY name". I'm very territorial like that. That's how I knew that my daughter HAD to be named Sydney. I was stuck between a few names and I was in the store and heard this other lady tell someone that she was naming her daughter Sydney...and I was almost like jealous...so I KNEW that was going to be her name.

elliebean February 9th, 2007 06:35 AM

i'm more worried that after i name my children that others will hear them and immediately use them. it's inevitable, so i don't know why i worry so much.

Bre+Will=Reid February 9th, 2007 10:05 AM

When my parents named me, Breanna/Brianna was hardly even on the map (deff. not on the top 100 list). When I was a kid I used to hear "oh wow, what a pretty and unique name!".....Check out what happened to it on the top 100 list in the 90's

1990- 61
1991- 51
1992- 43
1993- 32
1994- 27
1995- 21
1996- 17
1997- 17
1998- 17
1999- 14 <----

I HATE that my name became popular! Therefor, I don't want to do that to my kids. I want to chose a name that isn't odd, but won't become common either.

FamilyShorty February 9th, 2007 11:26 AM

I always thought I would have a daughter named Samantha but now I think it is over used so I don't think I'm going to use it.

One name that DH and I have had stuck in our heads for the past couple of years is Kyle so I think if we have a boy he will be named that since we have become so attached to it.

Kellyf0506 February 9th, 2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

I don't really care how popular names are .. If I like them I'll use them .[/b]
I agree, to an extent. I've loved Emma my whole life but would never use it now, it's #1. I'm a Kelly born in 1980, so there were a million other Kelly's i've know in my life, it never really bothered me. Also I married a man with 11 nieces (I had none before) so Claire, Abigail, and Kelsey (some of my favorites growing up) are out for me.
I love Charlotte and Katherine and will probably use these no matter what, the sister in laws know these are my "don't touch" names!

bootyqueen February 9th, 2007 04:19 PM

OMG that totally happened to me... Years ago I wanted girls names Spohia, Olivia, Hannah, and none of them were popular... Now I would never name a girl those names because they're soooo popular... :frown:

scubagirl80 February 9th, 2007 07:13 PM

*Sigh* I guess it is inevitable girls <_< I think that people are not so conservative anymore when it comes to naming, which means that a lot of our fave names will become popular. I guess we just have to stick to our guns as far as names that we've liked forever...

mom2LyricStoryLegend February 9th, 2007 07:45 PM

I don't know if the names I like will ever become "popular" but I do get upset over dumb things...like shortly after Story was born that movie "Lady in the Water" came out and the girl in was named Story. I was like..hey that's my name!...lol like I own the rights to it or something! I also just read I think it was BabyTalk or Parenting an article about names and Story and True are both listed in there. Story obviously I already used and True is at the top of my list for the new baby.

Gaby&Emmy'sMama February 9th, 2007 09:21 PM

I am always changing the names I like ;)

I'm not particularly territorial.. if there is a common/popular name I like, I'll use it... and so long as it wasn't my sister, I wouldn't mind if someone else from our family/friends used a name I had picked out - and if i loved it enough, I would probably continue to lose it...

... if my sister used a name that I wanted to use, I would hand it over to her & choose another name :) (after I told my sis we'd decided on Gabrielle, she admitted that it was at the top of her list for a daughter!)

Christababe85 February 10th, 2007 04:46 AM

I'm the kind who would drop a name off my list if it came in the top 10. I'm worried now about the name Asher, as it just sounds like a name that will become popular, but I hope it won't.

BeccaCCKK February 10th, 2007 08:51 AM

i had my daughter's name picked out when i was 13. i held onto it until i was pregnant and the name was almost unheard of. it wasnt evne on the top 1000 SSA when i named her, now her name is one the fastest growing names around. Does it make me mad yes but i am rest assured that i was ahead of the trend and that although many will follow behind her in school the chance of her having another one in her class is still very very slim.

Melanie. February 10th, 2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

Genevieve is getting more popular now. I used to love it so much. :(

I know it's kind of silly to care how many people have that name, but I had a popular name and HATED it. I don't want my kids to hate their names too.[/b]
Ditto, only my name isn't that popular.
I have 2 other girls in my HS with my name and it's confusing enough.
They all go by Mel, too.
I think it bothers me so much because I'm not used to it, I've never known another Melanie until HS.