JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Did I make a huge mistake?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/498907-did-i-make-huge-mistake.html)

luvnallmyboys March 12th, 2007 03:54 PM

Hello everyone. I am 30 weeks pregnant with my fourth son. Edward Gavyn (It had to be Edward and something that started with a G, we were going to call him Gavyn) and Colton Wade only lived one and two days each, and Connor Ian is 17 months old. I LOVE all of the boys names to the point that I am having a hard time coming up with another boy name that I like just as well.

My big problem is that my husband said as soon as I got pregnant that if it were a boy he wanted to name him Bear. Lol....haha......right honey...... Well I was completely convinced this baby would be a girl, so in order to stop hearing about "Bear" I said that it could be a middle name if it was a boy, 99% certain it wouldn't come to that. So much for mother's intuition! :P

I have actually seen Bear in baby name books, and my DH got it from a guy with a TV show on the discovery channel, but I still don't know. We are calling him baby Bear, but I'm sure everyone thinks its just a term, not a real name!

What I'm thinking right now is Kayden Bear Harper. I like Kayden, I think it goes well with Connor. All of our names have been Galic, so it works. What I need to know is if Bear is really that bad, and if as a middle name he can always just not tell people?? I think its cute for a little boy, and good for a big tough military man like on TV, but thats about it! DH really does love it though, and I've pretty much named everyone else.

Also, if you have alternate spellings of Kayden, let me know. I know there are a bunch and I don't want to miss any!

Please be honest.....Kayden Bear Harper!
Thanks

mlbsnb March 12th, 2007 04:18 PM

I don't have a problem with non-traditional middle names. I think Bear is cute! I have to admit though, I am not so fond of Kayden - it is just so popular and with so many spellings. There are so many other fine Gaelic names!
What about Declan, Donovan, Grady, Keiran, Lachlan, Nolan, Ronan, Seamus, Sullivan, Kyle, or Craig?

Good luck!

Hey There March 12th, 2007 04:22 PM

I think this is very interesting. I admit, when I first read the 'bear' part I thought... 'that's why men shouldn't name babies!' After thinking about it, though, I can totally see it as a middle name. I don't think it's a bad nickname and putting it in the middle name slot will allow him to 'hide' it if he chooses. I plan on using my maiden name as middle name for the first boy I have. I guess I don't see why a name your hubby loves is any different! That being said, I really don't like Kayden and it's 1 million spellings. It's becming so popular. I also don't think it's Gaelic but I will leave that to the experts on this board! Connor is a very nice and classy name. I think you could find a better match. Good Luck!

mlbsnb March 12th, 2007 04:32 PM

I just did a search for names that mean 'Bear' and came up with the following:
Barrett
Orson
Byron

::er!ca:: March 12th, 2007 04:36 PM

First off, I wouldn't use Bear or let DH think we were going to use Bear. I just wouldn't :) Sorry!

I think the name Caden is ok, but only spelled this way. I dislike any other spelling.

Katzchen March 12th, 2007 04:45 PM

I personally would not put Bear on the birth certificate in any position. I would give him two names and his nn can be bear. For instance, my son is Oliver Joseph and we call him Bear, mainly because when he was a newborn my 5 year old niece had trouble saying his name and kept calling him Olive-bear, so we started calling him Ollie-Bear and shortened that to Bear. He is still Oliver or Ollie to the outside world though.

As for Kayden, I think its way overused and is far to trendy for me. But if you love it, go for it! :D

*PurpleMidnight* March 12th, 2007 06:44 PM

I like the spelling Kaeden and I think it goes well with Connor. Im not too sure one the Bear though

gee102 March 13th, 2007 12:54 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with Bear as a middle name. But he may get teased about it in school. I like Kaiden

Melanie. March 13th, 2007 04:03 AM

Out of all the really cool animal names, he wants Bear?

Bear, to me, sounds like an overweight, hairy man. :blink:

FamilyShorty March 13th, 2007 05:43 AM

I like Kayden but I don't like Bear. You can say you just won't tell anyone but people will want to know and I think you and your child should be proud of the name he is given. I think names are kinda a big deal since they stick with you forever (unless you have it changed I guess but you know what I mean). Anyway, my personal opinion is that I wouldn't let my child have Bear as his middle name.

I like the spelling Kaiden best.

~Danielle~ March 13th, 2007 06:27 AM

I love the name Kayden, but I wouldnt let DH use Bear as a mn.

xxjaydexx March 13th, 2007 09:42 AM

Well, I like it. :)

Kaidyn Bear ! (spelled that way)

It sounds cute when he is little.. it will be cool when he is a teenager, think if he plays sports. they will call him "bear" bc kaden is getting popular.. then when he has a gf she will like it. i can totally see it as a real name.. I like different names tho. My name is Jayde Skye. I named my daughter Haizy.. soooo I think its nice!

m.and.a March 13th, 2007 05:10 PM

I just recently lost one of my twins. (I see you too are a mom of twins) I named Ada, DH named Aleah. DH wanted her middle name to be Breezy. I consented to Breeze, but at the last minute, he changed his mind, as we were filling out the birth certificate and went with Marie, which he thought was his grandmas middle name. Turns out, it isn't. Now that she is gone, and he loved her so much, one of the things I regret is not naming her Aleah Breeze. Forget what people tell you and what people think. Take hold of the moment.

No regrets.

sethsmum March 13th, 2007 05:28 PM

After reading what the pp put, I think that you should definitely use Bear. And even though I'm not keen on Kayden, its quite cute with Bear and it goes well with your sons name

luvnallmyboys March 13th, 2007 07:37 PM

Wow ladies, thank you so much for all the responses and suggestions! You have given me a ton to think about and I appreciate everyone's honestly. DH thinks its funny that almost as many people like Bear as like Kayden! I'm fighting PTL, so I don't like putting names off too long, but I guess I'll keep looking as long as I can. I am starting to like bear more, so we'll see. I also like Kade or Kaid better than Kaiden, but I have a major problem with both FN and MN being 1 syllable. I know thats just me though. Keep letting me know what you think, and if you have another suggestions, feel free to share! I'm sure I'll be asking for more help as time gets closer.

Twinladybugs, I really understand what you are saying. My husband has a tradition of first sons being Edward and then something with a G. His dad is Edward Gary, he is Geoffery, and our son was Gavyn. I didn't like it at all, but conceded, now of course I am so thankful I didn't fight him on it after Gavyn only lived a day. At least he got the name he deserved as our firstborn. Thank you for sharing that. I am so sorry for Aleah's death, but I know that her life is still so worth it to you. Two days I would never trade for anything despite the stress and pain and chaos are the two that my twins were alive. Especially the one where they both were.

whitneyjo821 March 14th, 2007 11:19 AM

I love it!

Kayden I think could be spelled differently, I'm not sure how, someway to drop the 'y' because that looks a little feminine, just my opinion, if you like it, keep it. Kaden Bear or Caden Bear.
I do like the Bear as a middle name. At first I though, ah what did she do, haha but then putting the fn together with Bear it sounds nice and I think it would be manly as an adult.

It would be an interesting story to tell your son one day how he got his name. I think it's very sweet that your hubby wants to include himself in thinking of names for the child.

jag-mama March 14th, 2007 01:45 PM

Kaiden or Caiden