JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   New here--need your opinions on a baby girl name! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/499291-new-here-need-your-opinions-baby-girl-name.html)

SwedenGirl March 13th, 2007 12:07 AM

Hi everyone!

I am from the March DDC and need help on a baby name as this baby is coming *anyday* according to my midwife. We don't know if we are having a boy or a girl, however the boy's name is picked. The girl's name is giving us trouble, however.

Here are the three choices that we have narrowed it down to for a girl:

1. Delaney
2. Gevevieve
3. Gretchen

Which one do you all like the best? And would any of these be able to be shortened to nicknames if she chose to do so? Also, any suggestions for middle names?

....and a little background in case it makes a difference in your choice---I am American but live in Sweden with my Swedish husband, so these names fit with both countries and languages. I have researched and none of them appear to be too popular in either country which makes me happy, infact, numbers 1 and 2 don't even make the top 1000 here in Sweden, and number 3 is ranked like #300 or something.

We also have a 5 year old son named Gabriel, so something to go with that is nice too. :smile:

Thanks for your opinions!

gee102 March 13th, 2007 12:43 AM

1. Delaney - Laney
2. Genevieve - Gen (Jen)
3. Gretchen - Gretch

I personally prefer Delaney on a boy, cause I've only ever met a boy named this (primary school friend)
I like Genevieve best ^_^

Minilegs March 13th, 2007 12:50 AM

out of the 3, Delaney. I like unisex for girls

Katherine Sarah March 13th, 2007 04:32 AM

Dont really like Gretchen sorry. I prefer Delaney out of the 3.

berrygirll March 13th, 2007 05:19 AM

I like Delaney. Second choice is Genevieve...

FamilyShorty March 13th, 2007 05:38 AM

I like Delaney and the nickname Laney. I think it is unique but not weird. I think it goes fine with Gabriel. My second choice would be Gretchen.

wantababybump March 13th, 2007 05:48 AM

I like Genevieve the best. Nicknames could be Gen (Jen) or Vieve. Then I like Delaney , nickname Laney

Katzchen March 13th, 2007 05:52 AM

I like Genevieve best. Nicknames could be Gen, Genny, Eve, Evie or Vieve

Melanie. March 13th, 2007 05:58 AM

Genevieve, definitely. So gorgeous and classic!

Gen, Genna, Genny/Gennie, Eve, Vie, Neve, or Evie.

Hey There March 13th, 2007 07:15 AM

I don't thinkyou can go wrong with any of them! I like Genevieve nn Vivie and Delaney the best but I think Gretchen is also a nice name. Good Luck! Can I ask what the boys name is going to be? Just being nosy...

SwedenGirl March 13th, 2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

I don't thinkyou can go wrong with any of them! I like Genevieve nn Vivie and Delaney the best but I think Gretchen is also a nice name. Good Luck! Can I ask what the boys name is going to be? Just being nosy...[/b]
Absolutely! If it is a boy, he will be Elijah (with Quinn as a middle name). We think it goes nicely with my son's name (who is Gabriel).

Keep your opinions coming! I appreciate all of them! :smile:

bebe-v-j March 13th, 2007 11:21 AM

I like Delaney the best. A NN you could use would be Laney.

~Danielle~ March 13th, 2007 11:25 AM

I really like Delaney with Laney as a nn.

nbbang March 13th, 2007 02:54 PM

I don't really like Delaney since it doesn't sound like a first name to me. And for some reason the nickname Laney sounds like a pet's name to me. Sorry, these are just my opinions though.

Even though I don't care much for the name Gretchen, I do like nicknames from it--like Greta is REALLY cute.

Genevieve is a pretty name. I think Evie would be a really cute nickname for that one.

So #1 is Genevieve, #2 Gretchen, and #3 Delaney.

Good luck!!!

Joni927 March 13th, 2007 09:12 PM

I like Delany best. NN Laney or Della. good luck!