JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Girls Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/505504-girls-names.html)

rverrone11 March 18th, 2007 08:40 AM

I am seven weeks pregnant, and I am trying to come up with some girl names that I like. I am at a loss. I have a feeling that it will take me to the end of my pregnancy to find a name that I like. I have had boys names picked out forever (see poll below--please vote if you feel so inclined :D ).

I need name suggestions. Our last name is one syllable and starts with an "S". I think a first name with two syllables or more would sound best.

I don't like overused, popular names. I loved being the only Rina in my classes growing up.

Acadia March 18th, 2007 09:30 AM

Well ... it depends. You liked being the only Rina, so obviously you don't want something in the Top 20. But do you want it to be "a real name", just not a popular one ... or do you want it to be something totally made up? What's your style? Classic? Cool? Trendy?

What I'm asking is, do you want names more like

Bess
Doris
Mabel
Thelma

or

Phoebe
Lillian
Cora
Elise

or

K-8
Satin
Pepper
Ja'Miyyakkah?

None of those are overused or popular and she'd certainly be the only one in her class ... but as you can see they are VERY different styles.

Do you like Isabella/Ella/etc? What about Arabella, Amabel, or Maribel? That's kind of a classic name that's become trendy and an Arabella wouldn't feel left out ... but she wouldn't be Arabella S. either, kwim?

Or do you want something totally different than everything that's popular?

rverrone11 March 18th, 2007 11:26 AM

I want a name that is not in the top 100. Real name or made up--either is fine. Out of the three groups you listed, my style is more the second group. I don't like classic names, and the third group is just not my style--I don't like apostrophes, dashes, etc. in names. I would really like something that is different than everything that is popular. Isabella, Arabella, etc. are not my style.

Actually, one of the names that I had though of several months ago for a girl is Acadia, which happens to be your screen name--coincidence. Someone had told me that their son's name is Zion, after the national park, so I started thinking of names of national parks and thought Acadia would be cute for a girl. The other name that someone mentioned that I kind of like is Autumn (but it is in the top 100 names, so I wouldn't use it).

If it helps, the middle name will either be Margit or Franzeska (whichever sounds better with the first name).

Acadia March 18th, 2007 11:50 AM

My dog's name is Acadia. I wanted to use it for a child ... but, alas, my DF says no way. ;) I think it's beautiful and I had to use it somehow. If you want a nickname for it he calls her Cady.

Basically you're looking for names I like that my DF has said no to. :lol:

Acadia
Cordelia
Damaris
Paisley - but the -ley ending is pretty popular
Amity
Delia
Evangeline (that also has a rural Louisiana-type feel, like Acadia does for me)
Sylvia/Sylvie
Daphne - one of the characters from "Scooby Doo", but I have never met a real person named Daphne

A bit different style but still within what you might like ...

Amaya
Patience (my mom always said she should have named me Patience since I have NONE!)
Meadow (since you like Autumn?)
Laramie (place name)
Dacia
Delta (the only person I know with this name is Delta Burke!)
Beylar (old southern name)

My best friend's name is Oriel ... it means "golden" and I've seen it online/in name books/etc but I have NEVER met anyone else actually named that. A shame, since I think it's pretty.

I think any of those would make her the only one in her class.

During the period of the Southern belles a lot of women around here were named Fancy ... I doubt there would be another Fancy!

Katzchen March 18th, 2007 11:58 AM

Offbeat, yet pretty names...

Aviva (ah-VEEV-ah)
Liora (lee-OR-ah)
Ayana (eye-ahna)
Amadea (ah-mah-DAY-ah)
Aracely (are-ah-SAY-lee)
Cecily
Suriely (Su-ree-AY-lee)
Honor
Annora

Elysia March 18th, 2007 12:08 PM

Here are some suggestions:

Brynn
Helena
Maeve
Evelyn
Ginevra
Maren
Elora
Anya
Matilda

rverrone11 March 18th, 2007 12:24 PM

I'm so glad I posted this...there are definitely some names in there that I like. Getting DH to agree to some of them may be a challenge though--I know there are several that he will nix right off the bat. <_< I like these:

Acadia
Cordelia (call her Delia)
Paisley
Amity
Delia
Evangeline (but people may call her Eva, which I'm not too fond of)
Daphne
Meadow
Laramie (I've driven through Laramie, WY several times--not sure if there is another Laramie somewhere?)
Delta
Oriel
Aviva (ah-VEEV-ah)
Liora (lee-OR-ah)
Amadea (ah-mah-DAY-ah)
Suriely (Su-ree-AY-lee)
Maren (I like this but it reminds me of Cheech Marin of Cheech and Chong, and I used to be friends with Cheech's daughter)
Anya (I like this, but it's my cousin's name)

mlbsnb March 18th, 2007 05:00 PM

Hi! Here's a few girls names with varying style. Sorry for repeats!

Ainsley
Emerson
Summer
Aspen
Sadie
Molly
Arwen
Carys
Lucy
Adeline
Eliana
Hadley