JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Common Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/5134-common-names.html)

HappyFamily October 23rd, 2004 02:57 PM

My son's name is Zachary which is a very common name but I don't mind at all. For this new baby I like some other common names like Emma, Aidan and Isabella.

Do you really try not to choose a name that's common or does it not matter to you?

TylerJ1029 October 23rd, 2004 03:02 PM

Tyler is a popular name now and that's what we named my son. I like a little more original names but it doesnt matter too much to me. I'm Jennifer so I know what its like to have at least 1 other Jennifer in all of your classes from elementary to college

I Heart 4x4 October 23rd, 2004 03:05 PM

I didn't really care about popularity or what-not ... I just picked a name I liked and a middle name to go with my heritage and flowed with his first name!

This next time around, we're going with names that aren't too mainstream (Dominic or Shelby).

kookaburra October 23rd, 2004 03:27 PM

I tend to like unusual names. I like things that are different!

rollopodio October 23rd, 2004 06:04 PM

i try not to choose common names but i also dont want names that are out there. i just done want to give my child a name that 4 other people in his class are going to have. KWIM?

KentuckyMama October 24th, 2004 08:55 AM

At first, I wanted a name that was unusual, but since we have such an unusual last name (Fluharty--most people can't pronounce it---it's flu-heart-e---did that make sense?), we think a more tame first name will be the better choice. I also don't want to name her something too plain.
But who knows? We are still so up-in-the-air about a name!!! :smile:

x3 MaGs x3 October 24th, 2004 02:40 PM

When it comes time to name my child, I don't want her/him to be one of 5 kids with the same name. I don't want something too completely out there that it isn't pronouncable.

Me and my sister have names that aren't too common. She occasionally had another Claire in a class, but not too often. I was always the ONLY Margot, in my school/that I even knew. There is a new girl in my school this year who's name is also Margot, and spells it the same way. Even with a name like Margot, that isn't completely out there, you would not believe how many people call/ed me mar-goT .. marGOAT .. marGIT .. margaret .. :rolleyes:

Shan October 25th, 2004 10:01 AM

Doesn't matter to me at all. My son's name is Ryan b/c I absolutely love how it sounds and I love the meaning as well. I wish it wasn't maybe AS COMMON as it is only b/c when we go to the playground or are out, I always here his name being called but there is no other Ryans in his class which is nice. I say if you like a name go for it, whatever the name. :smile:

zonapellucida October 25th, 2004 01:21 PM

I prefer uncommon names and family names.... My children are Myles, Genevieve, Gwnedolyn, Isadora, Amelia and Ella. This is why I am having so much trouble naming this boy. All the names I like are fairly common. And I was devestated when I figured out how common Ella is!!!! She is actually Ellamarilla. My grandmother is Almarilla but I hated Alma so I tried to come up with something close. I have pages of playing wiht gram's name. I suppose I could start calling her Rilla..... anyway long response wehn only a short one was necessary ;)

Kellie October 31st, 2004 11:05 PM

I don't want my Daughter to have a acommon name(Ashtin for a girl is very uncommon).And If I have another girl I would like her to another uncommon name.

For my son it doesn't matter.IMO I think it doesn't matter to boys if they're name is popular or not.But I tend to like the Popular names for Boys.

Neoma November 1st, 2004 02:13 PM

I like names with meaning behind them, regardless of how popular they are. We've already chosen names for our baby, it was actually pretty easy =) If it's a boy his name will be James Lee - James Lee was my fiance's late father's name, Lee is his family name (his mother's maiden name, his middle name, several other family members have kept the tradition). If it's a girl, Nora Lee. Noreen is my mother's middle name, which I loved because I never knew anyone else with that name, but it didn't flow well as a first name, so I shortened it to Nora.

I'm also somewhat fond of Greek names, lots of N's and A's and soft syllabic sounds =)

firstbaby November 1st, 2004 04:20 PM

i hate common names

proudmommyof5 January 13th, 2005 08:24 PM

Well, if you look at my names you'll see I have some way unpopular and some popular. I'm pretty sure Nanda will never have any other people with the same name in her class :smile: Ethan is a very very popular name now, not so much when we named him, but now it is really popular. Ryanne isn't too popular, but I suspect will become more popular. Juliann isn't popular. Gabriel isn't too common. I do happen to love many of the top 100 names, but I definantly wouldn't want to name my child anything in the top ten.

zonapellucida January 14th, 2005 12:54 PM

I like uncommon names

proudmomof4 January 14th, 2005 01:02 PM

My 2 older boys have very popular names, Logan and Jakub. You would probably see Jakub's name spelled Jacob normaly. With my 2 younger childern, Alyssa and Owen, their names are so popular. I didnt really pay any attention to the popularity of the names though, I have always loved these 4 names and their middle names, and DH also liked them.

Cyndee January 17th, 2005 06:26 PM

I like uncommon names... I like names that stand out

Selestial January 18th, 2005 08:52 AM

I don't know if I would say I like "uncommon" names, but I'm not fond of overly "traditional" names. When I named Riley I thought it wasn't common, but now there are a ton of Rileys (and unfortunately for my son, a vast number of them are girls :P). We were thinking Sydney for the baby, but my sister is trying to talk me out of it because its "over-used" (her word choice, not mine). I'm not sure what we're going to do though, since I wasn't completely sure with Sydney to begin with... *shrug* (guess I have 4 months to figure it out :P)

Barbara January 18th, 2005 09:33 AM

My son's name is Joseph Cole. I like old names. One of my favorite girl names is Esther. I also like Anna Catherine.

Mrs.C January 18th, 2005 09:53 AM

We have two daughter. Our 6 year old's (nearly 7 in February) name is Trysten Renee. i loved the name when my husband suggested, and I had never met anyone with that name. Once Trysten was born, it's like everyone went on a "Trysten" spree! I couldn't believe how many Trysten's there were.

Our second daughter's name is Joshlynn Marie. My husband kinda invented it. I have heard of Jocelyn and things similar, but never Joshlynn. My husbands name is Joshua (Josh for short), and my late father's anme is Lynn. Marie is my mother's middle name that she passed on to me. Thats how we got Joshlynn Marie.

We are going to try for two more kids, both boys. The first one will be named Joshua Lee Jr. after his Daddy. Our second will be Connor Ray because I fell in love with it the minute i heard it.

So easy enough said, I like uncommon names.

BabyMaybe January 26th, 2005 02:37 AM

My taste varies, for girls I love uncommon & unique names as long as they have a nice meaning. For boys, my taste ranges from traditional to whatever strikes me as handsome.