JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Brooklyn (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/645160-brooklyn.html)

kcolthorpe July 12th, 2007 04:00 PM

Hi ladies,
Im popping over from Dec ddc, I lurk here sometimes, but until now havn't had much to say.
I do have a quick question about my possible choice for a girls name, I love Brooklyn, what do you think of it?
The only thing Im concerned about is it being shortened to Brook, am I crazy to think this will not happen? I dont have anything against the name Brook, but prefer the long form.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

~*3 little bears*~ July 12th, 2007 04:02 PM

It WILL happen. I adore the name its definitely in my top three. Same spelling and everything. I still think its a great name shortened or not.

jdee0509 July 12th, 2007 04:04 PM

Hi, welcome. congrats on the pregnancy. I was due around the same time last year, so its like aww *jealous* ;)

I like Brooklyn. But I think its becoming verrry popular. But nonetheless I do think its a pretty name.

kcolthorpe July 12th, 2007 04:13 PM

hmmm....I dont want anything too poplular, my first son is Jakob and I didnt realize at the time how insane that name was going to become, I did a little bit better with 2nd son, his name is Braxton, so now I want to make sure Im not naming this next baby something popular...grrrrr..this is very frustrating..lol

Miracle July 12th, 2007 04:47 PM

If you search for Baby Names in Google, click on the social security one and it will tell you what ranking names are--- from #1-#1000 if you want....

I haven't met anyone named Brooklyn... I think it's very cute and trendy. I would think some people you just meet might call her Brook, but if you make it clear her name is Brooklyn, then I'm sure it would be fine.

LileighBelle July 13th, 2007 06:22 AM

I really like Brooklyn!

FamilyShorty July 13th, 2007 08:04 AM

I've never heard of someone named Brooklyn having their name shortened to Brooke but I guess it could happen.
I don't really care for the name myself, reminds me of New York.

StaeheliGrl July 13th, 2007 09:03 AM

I love the name Brooklyn! I would have chosen it myself but my sister got it first! Her daughter is 7 years old and has NEVER been called Brook. If you love it you should go for it, if anyone calls her Brook politely tell them that her name is Brooklynn not Brook.

SadieBug July 13th, 2007 11:07 AM

My best friends niece's name is Brooklyn and it has never been shortened to Brook. I love the name!!!!!!

cheesecake July 13th, 2007 03:04 PM

I think Brooklyn is a great name!

ESnipes July 13th, 2007 03:45 PM

I love the name...i think its cute....its trendy. i ahve never met a brooklyn, but i've heard people saying they like the name andf would name their daughter it...so im sure it has the potential 2 become a lil popular...but i still think its sute. i'd use it myself if my hubby liked it

tanya74 July 13th, 2007 04:14 PM

I have a niece named Brooklyn and she has never been called Brooke. Her parents are very insistent that she not be called Brooke, though.

My3CutiePies July 14th, 2007 04:11 AM

I love the name! but, DH wouldn't go for it. My name is Catherine and all my life people would ask what I am called and I (or my mom when I was young) would say "Catherine". My name was never shortened...it can be done. You named your little girl Brooklyn...not Brooke, just let people know that. Go for it!

IrishMama July 14th, 2007 08:28 AM

You know I think it is all in the way you handle it when it happens.
My sister wants to sneak around and call Micayla ..... "Kayla", which I REALLY CAN'T stand.
But I have found that everyone else calls her by the long form which is our wish.

People have asked if we shorten it and I'm like know and then we go on from there.
That's just it, ANY name can be shortened or whatever.

I think you will find that people will follow your lead.
I LOVE Brooklyn, it is really cute!

Bre+Will=Reid July 14th, 2007 08:32 AM

I think it's a great name.

My name is Breanna, and no one ever shortens my name because my mom never did, and I never do. You can prevent a name from being shortened! :smile:

teachingmommy July 14th, 2007 12:38 PM

Our son would have been Brooklyn Elizabeth if he was a girl.

ellajane July 14th, 2007 01:49 PM

David Beckham's oldest son is Brooklyn. I think of it as a boys' name because of that. Yes, I think the nickname Brook is pretty much inevitable.

blessedLILbumblebee July 14th, 2007 05:35 PM

Cute name. I think it's becoming very popular, I know three Brooklyns born this year.

Candicemomof4 July 15th, 2007 06:34 PM

I have a Brooklyn Paige...I named her that before it was ever trendy LOL(7 and a half years ago)! As a matter of fact I have gotten a lot of sneers and nasty remarks about it...I still love it...but although hubby and I call her Brooklyn our family calls her Brooke its inevitable I think.

LvMyLaxKid July 15th, 2007 06:49 PM

Don't worry about the name being shortened. If you always call her Brooklyn, so will everyone else. She may shorten it to Brook when she gets into school, but that would be her choice. YOU can still call her Brooklyn. And who knows, if she has always been called Brooklyn, she just may tell people, "I prefer Brooklyn." I have an 8 yr old cousin named Victoria, and whenever the other kids call her Vicky or Tori, she just says, "No, it's Victoria, not Vicky." And it's because she's never been called anything else but Victoria.

My son's initials are PJ, and we had family suggest calling him that. But we told them no, and everyone has respected our wishes, and calls him Parker. Sometimes my niece calls him Parks just for fun, but I don't care. But we have NEVER had anyone try to call him PJ. I think it's just a matter of what people get used to from the beginning.

Just stick to your guns, and tell people it's Brooklyn. If she shortens it to Brook when she gets older, than so be it. Brook is nice too! :>)

Hope that helps. :>)