JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   What do you think of this boy name?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/845143-what-do-you-think-boy-name.html)

dgmommy05 December 14th, 2007 04:59 PM

I was just trying to get some opinions on a name that I have come across and am thinking of using for my baby boy due in March. The name is Davin. Do you think that people will mistake it for being pronounced DAVE-IN? The middle name will likely be Thomas after my DH middle name and his fathers name. What are your opinions? Thanks for your help.

BrownEyedGirl December 14th, 2007 05:18 PM

I pronounced it Dave-in. Is it suppose to be like Gavin? I don't really like it and I think it will get misspronounced a lot.

Merolia December 14th, 2007 07:34 PM

I pronounced it Dave-in too. I think people will assume it's a typo of David, and he'll have to correct people a lot.

Heather1628 December 14th, 2007 07:52 PM

I too pronounce it Dave-in

Crystal423 December 14th, 2007 08:22 PM

I agree about it being mispronounced a lot.

Miracle December 14th, 2007 09:59 PM

I thought it was Dav-in when I first saw it (like Gavin), and I definitely like it. But I also like the pronunciation Dave-in :smile: I think it's really cute.

Jlynn December 15th, 2007 12:10 AM

I pronounced it Dave-in too!

Melanie. December 15th, 2007 01:25 AM

I love Davin.

Davin Thomas is great!

Katherine Sarah December 15th, 2007 06:30 AM

I pronounced it Dav-in. I wouldnt use it because it seems made up, like you werent sure whether you prefered David or Devin/Devon so decided to incorporate the two.

Acadia December 15th, 2007 06:36 AM

My nephew's name is Davin and everyone pronounces it right ... I guess that pronunciation might be a regional thing if everyone else is saying it with a long A. :confused: The only time anyone has assumed it was a typo, was on his insurance ... they thought he was David, Jr because his dad's name is David. Honest mistake. If my BIL had a different name, they probably would have gotten it right.

It's cute, but after seeing these responses, I think you'd have less trouble with Gavin as far as spelling and pronunciation. Gavin Thomas would be nice. Davin Thomas isn't bad either, just maybe annoying to spell and pronounce in your area.

I'd write it down and ask random people to say it while you're out and about one day, if you're comfortable talking to strangers! Then you could get a feel for how often it would be mispronounced.

mrsbella7 December 15th, 2007 07:45 AM

I pronounced it "Dav-in"
I think Davin Thomas sounds great!

SoonToBeBlessedWith3 December 15th, 2007 07:57 AM

I prounouced it Dave-in as well but I LOVE the name pronouced Dav-in! Very very cute. :)

dgmommy05 December 15th, 2007 11:29 AM

Thanks to everyone for your opinions. It is pronounced "Dav-in", not "Dave-in" at least that is the way we would use it. In responce to someone on here it is not a made up name it is in the baby books and on line. In my baby name book it means "Smart". When I found this name I didn't even think of it being like David. I was thinking of it as a mix between Gavin and Devin. I like the name Gavin but our last name starts with a "G" and it doesn't sound good together. As for Devin, it could be a girl name and I don't want to name my boy a name that could be a girl name. My sister grew up with a girl named Devin so I associate the name with that. Although my DH likes the name Devin for a boy he has never heard of it used as a girl name. I don't know, I am still up in the air about it. If there are any new people reading this I would still appreciate any input from you.

Thanks!!

ladyellise December 15th, 2007 02:15 PM

I would pronounce it Davin like Gavin (love that name) lol i like it but perfer Gavin

BeckyK December 15th, 2007 06:12 PM

I pronounced it DAV-in at first and then immediately second guessed myself.

beckii December 15th, 2007 07:50 PM

I pronounce it like Gavin w/ a D. I think its cute! I can see how it would get mispronounced but if you arent worried by that then it doesnt matter.

carlyheartsphil December 15th, 2007 08:58 PM

I pronounced it like Gavin with a 'D'... I like it!

Mom2Nat&Ry December 15th, 2007 09:14 PM

I would pronounce it Dav-in, I like it.