JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   What's your opinion on (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/873201-what-s-your-opinion.html)

bellax0 January 7th, 2008 06:08 AM

Naming your child a certain name, but only calling them by a nickname?

For instance, naming your son John when you just plan on calling him Jack. Or your daughter Abigail when you're going to call her Abby.

BrownEyedGirl January 7th, 2008 06:26 AM

I don't see a problem with it. I think most names get shortened to a nickname when they're younger anyway, whether you mean to or not. It's good that when the child gets older they have a stronger name to fall back on (Abby could go by Abigail, etc.) I don't like when nicknames are given as the full names.

Acadia January 7th, 2008 06:34 AM

I think it's fine and usually a good idea.

For me part of naming children is finding a name I like, and being reasonably sure there will be an option they also like. Since I don't know my kids yet, that means I try to pick names that have more than one nickname possibility. When you give a nickname as a full name, they don't have that option. People named Katherine can go by Kate or Katie or Kathy, but if your name is Katie, you can't go by Katherine (well you could, but it would be confusing).

If I wanted to call a daughter Abby, yes, I'd probably name her Abigail. That way she has a choice. She can be Abby, or Gail, or Abigail, and have enough options to fit her lifestyle and preferences.

carlyheartsphil January 7th, 2008 06:41 AM

i agree with the others, I think its a good idea to give the child a full name as a given name so they have the choice as they grow older what they want to be called.

bellax0 January 7th, 2008 06:48 AM

good points. I had not thought about that

ananas January 7th, 2008 07:01 AM

I don't get it, at all. What's the point? There's also people who call their children by their middle name and plan on that before they're even born. I just don't get it.

Amber76 January 7th, 2008 09:44 AM

My DD's name is Katerina but we knew before she was born that we would call her Kaia. Here is why . . .
Katerina is DH's sister's name who passed away suddenly when she was 20. DH was very close to her and it meant a lot to him to name our DD after her. However she went by Kathy. I wanted Kaia to be her own person, not always associated with Kathy. So we decided a nickname before she was born because we knew his family would start calling her Kathy right away (some of them did anyway but are getting better)
Also I like the fact that as she gets older she can go by Katerina, Kat, Kate etc. if she chooses that Kaia isn't what she wants.

Miracle January 7th, 2008 03:59 PM

I definitely would do that with names like "Abby" or "Katie" that don't really sound that complete on their own. But there are some names like "Kaia" that I think can stand alone.

Merolia January 7th, 2008 04:38 PM

I agree that it's a good idea. Nicknames are fine, but they aren't good as full names. I would hate to have to put something like Katie or Lizzie on a resume.

Using a nickname as a full name does nothing but make sure that your child has to use the nickname for his or her entire life, even if s/he hates it. My parents used to call me Annie as a nickname for Anna. I hated it, and when I was about nine, I just started telling people to call me Anna. If Annie had been my full name, I'd still be stuck with it. Just because you like a nickname doesn't mean your child will.

Melanie. January 7th, 2008 06:01 PM

Audrey doesn't have a nickname, that's why I love it!

Well, Jesse calls her Audio, but we're not stupid enough to actually name her Audio. :lol:

melaniebabyy January 7th, 2008 07:39 PM

Like the ladies said, I think it's fine if the name can't stand alone... like Abby or Katie. I know a lot of people that do it..