JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Signing (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f43-baby-signing/)
-   -   Your baby's first sign (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f43-baby-signing/1472135-your-babys-first-sign.html)

A&C's_Mom March 10th, 2009 09:24 PM

Your baby's first sign

How did you realize that they were actually signing?
Was it obvious, or hard to tell at first?
Did they sign it consistently, or did they gradually begin to use it over time?

I'm just wondering what to expect with Caoimhe...sometimes I see her doing what looks like a new sign (like today, when she shook her fists in a perfect signing of COLD after I accidentally gave her a too-cold bottle), but after that, nothing. And she has done the sign for milk many times when I hold up her bottle, but other times she doesn't do it at all. It's hard to tell if she is just doing random hand movements, or if she is actually signing to me.

noworries March 11th, 2009 05:42 PM

Re: Your baby's first sign

It took a while for me to realize that Eva was signing at first (her first sign was milk). But, she started doing it consistantly enough for me to realize that she was really doing it. She did her first sign at about 8.5 months and then really didn't pick up many more until she turned a year old. Then, she started picking up signs like crazy. Now I usually just have to show her once or twice before she gets it.

noworries March 11th, 2009 05:42 PM

Oops, quadruple post.

noworries March 11th, 2009 05:45 PM

Oops, quadruple post.

noworries March 11th, 2009 05:46 PM

Oops, quadruple post.

Effervescence March 15th, 2009 09:01 PM

LOL About the quadruple post. I've been doing that a lot lately too!

How did you realize that they were actually signing? I didn't realize; DH did!!
Was it obvious, or hard to tell at first? It was hard to tell, but the more he did it, the more obvious it became that he was signing
Did they sign it consistently, or did they gradually begin to use it over time? He kind of started doing it gradually. We thought it was a fluke the first couple of times, but then he began to mimic it very consistently. He's been moving his hands and watching very intently to other signs. his first was "milk" which we used for nurse, but because of medical reasons we cannot nurse full time anymore so he only sees it once or twice a day opposed to seeing it several times a day like he used to. I think if he still saw it often, he would be signing it on his own by now and producing other signs.

Effervescence March 14th, 2010 12:15 PM

We have some new members on the board, and I am curious about everyone's experience with the first sign!

monilove March 17th, 2010 06:41 PM

In hindsight, Bryce was signing back at 5 months. Right before he turned 6 months I noticed it but wasn't sure. He turned 6 months the next week and I tested it. DH and I would say milk and do it and he would sign it back. Now at 7 months I don't even have to do the sign. I say milk or leche and he does it or when he sees me he will sign it.

The funny thing is when he is nursing he signs it too.

hiskid1324 March 17th, 2010 06:47 PM

I'm pretty sure milk came first.