JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Signing (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f43-baby-signing/)
-   -   How did you/are you going to learn? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f43-baby-signing/2324885-how-did-you-you-going-to-learn.html)

mommybugnbugga May 11th, 2011 11:01 AM

How did you/are you going to learn?

Just curious, how everyone taught themselves and their babies to sign?

I used Baby Signing Time. I plan on purchasing these dvd's again to use. I loved how easy they were for me to pick up. I kept them on the TV alot (between those and Baby Einstien that was all I wached for about 2 years after ds was born...lol).

mama_aud26 May 21st, 2011 01:38 AM

Re: How did you/are you going to learn?

I'm going to be a sign language interpreter so I already know ASL, I just teach what I know.. I'm not 100% fluent yet though, I still have a couple years of college left! But I have a deaf friend that I've learned a lot from, and the most I learned was actually in my high school freshman ASL class believe it or not I still remember all I learned way back then. My mom always said I had a "gift" so I'm going for what she wanted me to do :)

Dionisia July 28th, 2011 07:29 AM

Goodluck to both of you guys

hiskid1324 September 12th, 2011 09:26 PM

I learn from people around me that I know who are fluent in ASL. :) There is a family at our church all fluent or semi-fluent, so they are a wealth of information and assistance for me. :)

Rozz-berry September 14th, 2011 05:01 PM

Signing time is great to learn new signs but I doubt we'll learn that many signs. We're just starting with the basics.

He's only 3 months right now so the only one I'm trying to teach him is milk. I say, "Do you want some milk... milk... milk? as I sign, and then I try to get the bottle into his mouth within 2 or three seconds so that he makes the connection. Maybe in a month or so I'll teach him "more" the same way when he wants more milk.

zaibi1230 October 26th, 2011 02:49 AM

the link which you provide is very use full, thanks to share with us

Mahalo November 17th, 2011 09:30 AM

I took 3 years of ASL in high school, I'm not super fluent any more (I graduated 10 years ago). But I was interested enough in the idea at the time that I wrote a paper on it. I plan to use the little sign I remember and start small. Some of the things I remember was that whether you use true ASL or your own home signs - start with a small number and repeat them frequently.

I used to baby sit a girl that knew sign and at age 2 when she wasn't really speaking yet - she was way more calm than any other 2 year old I had watched because she had some form of communicating what she wanted.

My baby is due May 16th - so I have more time to think and plan.

lrowe70 November 25th, 2011 12:47 PM

GladI found this board!
I'm cheap sowe're learning through books from the library and You Tube videos. :)

Mommy-to-2 February 25th, 2012 08:37 PM

i took a short collage class, but i've always been interested in signing. My mom just bought me a book that has little flash cards, called "baby sign language" it shows which signs are good to start with your baby i love it!!

crunchywannabe May 26th, 2012 01:24 PM

3 of the families I used to nanny for used baby sign... the mom's didn't have a lot of time to teach me, but often the older child (who was 3 or older in each family) would tell me what the baby was signing. I eventually got some books (1 on baby sign and 1 on ASL) and taught myself the signs that the kids used most often. Now it is pure habit that I sign with whatever words I am saying. I plan on using sign with my own children. I dont have any set plans on how many signs I will teach them, but the basic 5-10 i'm sure will just be habit from me.

Summerdays12 January 25th, 2013 04:23 PM

I did not know this board was here! I am a member of the Oct. 2012 PR. I sign with my baby who is 3 months old. I taught in an infant classroom and learned signing while working there. Amazing what these babies can cammunicate!

NinjaCakes January 30th, 2013 03:30 PM

I plan to learn from the internet, when I do. Obviously I don't need to yet! But I've pinned a few resources already.

MichelleLynn May 19th, 2013 07:19 AM

I would love to teach my sonsign language! I know a few signs from my job ( I teach two year olds). My main concern is overwhelming my son. My boyfriend and his family are Portuguese. I want my son to learn their language along with English. Do you think signing may be too much? I am wondering if signing may help if I initiate the sign while speaking the work in English and Portuguese ...may help me learn Portuguese as well. :smile:

LesliLCabezas July 27th, 2013 02:51 AM

I am also trying to learn from net.