JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Bad Experiences With Vaccines (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f337-bad-experiences-vaccines/)
-   -   my experience when I had Amara (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f337-bad-experiences-vaccines/338495-my-experience-when-i-had-amara.html)

Mommy2Amara&Kayori October 15th, 2006 09:37 PM

When I had Amara they asked me to sign the papers so that Amara could get her shots. I told them no. They sounded surprized, and even sounded a little scared. I thought nothing of it at the time. Then like 2 months after she was born my sister asked if she had gotten her 2 month shots yet. I said no she wasn't getting any. Then she said "then why did she get one at the hospital?" WTH I did not know that she got one at the hospital. They gave her the shot before they asked me to sign the paper and that is why they sounded scared. It may have been the vitamin K shot, but I said no shots. They did not give her the eye ointment and I never said anything about that. This makes me so mad.

Mom2DyJessAva October 16th, 2006 07:28 AM

i cant believe they did that!!! :angry2: i wish there was a way you could of gotten them in trouble

Mommy2Amara&Kayori October 16th, 2006 10:53 AM

I know me too

My_Serenity October 16th, 2006 11:57 AM

That would have totally pissed me off. I'm sure there's something legal you could do... if you wanted. I know it's not for everyone but that's one of the reasons I do homebirths.

Mommy2Amara&Kayori October 16th, 2006 12:34 PM

my next will be at home

My_Serenity October 16th, 2006 02:06 PM

It's a wonderful experience!

Mommy2Amara&Kayori October 17th, 2006 01:14 PM

my mom had my last 2 sisters at home

crunchymama October 17th, 2006 06:16 PM

If you ask for an itemized copy of your bill it would list what shot she recieved. It could have been Vit K which really has no side effects besides the pain of the injection or it could have been Hep B. I don't believe you have to sign for VIT k it is part of the standard procedures and you actually have t fill out a form denying it if you on't want it. If you want to know which it was your bill would probally be the easiestway.

Mommy2Amara&Kayori January 3rd, 2007 09:21 PM

I missed this post sorry

thanks for that advice

I was told that the vitamin K shot was linked to child hood leukaemia

LilyBean February 25th, 2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

When I had Amara they asked me to sign the papers so that Amara could get her shots. I told them no. They sounded surprized, and even sounded a little scared. I thought nothing of it at the time. Then like 2 months after she was born my sister asked if she had gotten her 2 month shots yet. I said no she wasn't getting any. Then she said "then why did she get one at the hospital?" WTH I did not know that she got one at the hospital. They gave her the shot before they asked me to sign the paper and that is why they sounded scared. It may have been the vitamin K shot, but I said no shots. They did not give her the eye ointment and I never said anything about that. This makes me so mad.[/b]
I believe that the same thing happened to me. My daughter was out of my sight on several occasions, and once, the nurse came in asking me to sign for the hep shot. I said "no", and she totally freaked. She came in at least five more times that evening asking me why I did not want my daughter to have the shot. I would describe her demeanor as panic when I continued to refuse. And it got to the point that I felt she was harassing me for saying no. After getting home, and looking back on the situation, I believe she was harassing me because they had already given her the shot...

I did look at the itemized bill, but my bill is not down to THAT level of detail.

Also, someone mentioned no side affects to Vit K shot. I've read from several credible sources that an overdose of Vit K can cause jaundice. You can google "Vitamin K jaundice" to get more info on that.

Mommy2Amara&Kayori February 25th, 2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

When I had Amara they asked me to sign the papers so that Amara could get her shots. I told them no. They sounded surprized, and even sounded a little scared. I thought nothing of it at the time. Then like 2 months after she was born my sister asked if she had gotten her 2 month shots yet. I said no she wasn't getting any. Then she said "then why did she get one at the hospital?" WTH I did not know that she got one at the hospital. They gave her the shot before they asked me to sign the paper and that is why they sounded scared. It may have been the vitamin K shot, but I said no shots. They did not give her the eye ointment and I never said anything about that. This makes me so mad.[/b]
I believe that the same thing happened to me. My daughter was out of my sight on several occasions, and once, the nurse came in asking me to sign for the hep shot. I said "no", and she totally freaked. She came in at least five more times that evening asking me why I did not want my daughter to have the shot. I would describe her demeanor as panic when I continued to refuse. And it got to the point that I felt she was harassing me for saying no. After getting home, and looking back on the situation, I believe she was harassing me because they had already given her the shot...

I did look at the itemized bill, but my bill is not down to THAT level of detail.

Also, someone mentioned no side affects to Vit K shot. I've read from several credible sources that an overdose of Vit K can cause jaundice. You can google "Vitamin K jaundice" to get more info on that.
[/b]

It is scary what they do without parents concent, because they assume we will be ok with it.

I also have heard that Vit K can cause jaundice

MrsPil October 24th, 2007 02:56 AM

Quote:

...It could have been Vit K which really has no side effects besides the pain of the injection...[/b]
According to the manufacturers package insert the risks and side effects associated with the vitamin k injection are as follows:
pain, swelling and tenderness at the injection site, chest pain, flushing, strange movements, rapid pulse, tightness of the chest, cramps. In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

A preservative (benzyl alcohol) which may be found in this product or in the liquid used to mix this product (diluent) can infrequently cause serious problems (sometimes death) if given by injection to an infant during the first months of life (neonatal period). The risk is greater with lower birth weight infants and is greater with increased amounts of benzyl alcohol. Symptoms include sudden gasping, low blood pressure, or a very slow heartbeat.

I am so sorry that you were ignored and that your right to refuse was so blatantly violated. I'm so excited for you and your homebirth - I hope you love it :)

soImarriedAnerd February 12th, 2008 05:47 AM

You can call your billing department at your hospital and get a medication list of all meds. The hospitals have to keep records of all meds administered. FYI- you may want to ask for a medication and a supplements list (vit K-if they realized they did it illegally they could try covering there tracks "mis" place it in the supplements section instead) If your child did indeed get a (non-emergency) shot that you did not ok You have every right to know who administered it and write to the state board. As nurses WE have to have parental consent with our doctors orders to administer a vaccine. Hope this helps. That nurse would likely have disciplinary actions (1st time offense-education) but would have that mark on their record. If it continues to happen (and people do something about it) the actions get worse.

bunni0407 February 13th, 2008 12:56 PM

Im so glad Andrew wasnt out of my sight ever. I had to go everywhere with him if they wanted to take him anywhere.

Burcak March 5th, 2008 06:06 AM

Even though I am a fan of the vaccines, I am sooo mad about the doctors' attitude!

puglover July 19th, 2009 04:25 AM

Re: my experience when I had Amara

I am so glad I read this, we are givig birth in a few months and will not vax or do vitamin K. DS has autism and had jaundice. I know our hospital does not do teh hep shot but now he will not leave my sight.