JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Beginner's Forum (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f99-beginners-forum/)
-   -   have you ever/would you (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f99-beginners-forum/1954935-have-you-ever-would-you.html)

AMDG April 24th, 2010 12:22 PM

have you ever/would you

go to a movie, museum or restaurant alone?

I am asking because I have done all three many times. At times it was because I wanted to go alone and other times it was because I had moved to a city where I didn't really know anybody yet and wasn't going to just sit around my apartment.
Just the other day this topic came up with my MIL and she seemed almost horrified that I would admit to doing those things alone. She said she NEVER would go to a movie, museum, art gallery, or restaurant alone - she would feel too strange and feel like a loser and would rent a movie or order take out rather than do any of those things. To me it seems like no big deal at all.
Granted I don't do that stuff much anymore because I am married with kids and don't really have a lot of free time or time to myself but back when I was single I would not have thought twice about going out by myself.

Am I the strange one and my MIL more the norm or the other way around?

IAmMomMomIAm April 24th, 2010 12:27 PM

Re: have you ever/would you

I have a phobia of going places alone.. so no I would not. I can barely manage grocery shopping alone. But for someone who doesn't have this ridiculous phobia, I don't see why it would be a real problem.

mrsrrjgandmx April 24th, 2010 01:00 PM

I've done it a few times and have enjoyed myself immensely and I am married with 2 kids and I'll still preferably do that over staying home all the time. I am not a fan of going out alone at night though. I don't find it weird but there've been times when I've gotten the odd look or snotty comment from someone because I am alone and have a wedding ring on.

**Badfish** April 24th, 2010 01:45 PM

I would go to a museum or art gallery alone. I can't really see myself going to a restaurant or movie by myself. When I worked as a hostess at a restaurant in high school I would feel so bad for for the people who came in to eat alone! It was probably completely unwarranted, though. I would just feel sorry for myself if I was eating in a crowded restaurant alone.

*Dayna* April 24th, 2010 03:16 PM

I've been to the movies and to concerts by myself.

Mommiex2 April 24th, 2010 04:02 PM

I have been to movies, restaurants, art galleries, etc. alone. I don't particularly enjoy going to a nice restaurant alone because it gets boring waiting for your food without having someone to talk to. But, other than that, I really don't mind.

Quantum_Leap April 24th, 2010 05:16 PM

Yes, I have done all three several times. Restaurants the most often, because I would go to diners during college late at night with my books and laptop and stuff so that I could study accompanied by limitless cups of coffee. I have gone to a movie by myself maybe once, but several times DH and I have entered a movie theater together and then gone to see separate movies just because neither of us could bring ourselves to sit through what the other wanted to see. :lol: The only time I can remember going to a museum by myself was in Cyprus, when DH wanted to sleep in one morning rather than getting dragged to see "yet another shelf full of ancient pottery," but I would happily do so again if the occasion warranted it. :shrugs: I'm okay with my own company.

myblueyez April 24th, 2010 05:25 PM

I don't think it is unusual at all. I've never been to a movie by myself, I'm not a big movie theater type person, but I have gone to restaurants, concerts, museums and other such things by myself...
I was single for several years so I was just fine doing things on my own, even now I sometimes prefer it, that way if I change my mind about where I'm going or what I want to see, it's no big deal...

AMDG April 24th, 2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess is Write (Post 19939462)
I would go to a museum or art gallery alone. I can't really see myself going to a restaurant or movie by myself. When I worked as a hostess at a restaurant in high school I would feel so bad for for the people who came in to eat alone! It was probably completely unwarranted, though. I would just feel sorry for myself if I was eating in a crowded restaurant alone.

Yeah, the restaurant thing I mostly did while studying for the Bar Exam - it was nice to get out of the house and the background noise actually helped me study. I've never really gone to a restaurant alone and just sat there by myself with nothing to do but eat.

CalFan April 24th, 2010 08:01 PM

DH and I also discovered the novel idea that we could drive to a movie theater together, but each see different movies. The first time we did that it was like *lightbulb* this is great! He saw Dodgeball and I saw Mystic River. I think that alone explains why we go to separate movies. :lol:

I have gone alone too. :)

Beneath_The_Rose April 25th, 2010 01:01 AM

I've never been to the movies alone but not because of fear or anything and I would If i really wanted to. I'm just not really that big of a movie go'er in the first place so if i'm not going with someone else then I don't really see much of a point in going. Unless there was a super fantastic movie playing that i HAD to see. I have gone grocery shopping alone, i've gone to the mall alone, the library alone, the book store alone, the park alone, in High School I sat alone almost every single day at lunch and didn't mind. I would listen to music and/or do homework. The few times I wasn't alone were if I had the same lunch period as the kids in the special education class that had mental disabilities and they were actually quite nice to be in the company of compared to the other kids around me gossiping and throwing food and getting into fist fights.

I've never had many friends and am pretty much a loner by nature.

sandyjoys April 25th, 2010 04:57 AM

I love going to the movies by myself and I don't see what the big deal is. I realized that I don't pay attention to what others are doing, and no one is paying attention to me. I've even gone to see Broadway shows, in New York and on tour by myself - lots of times actually. I love theater and my husband likes it ok, but not enough to warrant the expensive ticket price.

As far as eating out by myself, I've done it and again, don't really care. I always bring a book or magazine and just relax.

One of the best days I ever had was before kids, my DH had to go away for a trip and I bought tickets to two different shows at the Kennedy Center and drove to DC (2 hours away) and spent the day there by myself seeing excellent theater and having a nice dinner. I admit, by the ride home, I was a little tired of myself, but for the most part, it was a really nice introspective day.

WineKeepsMeSane April 26th, 2010 05:36 PM

I used to feel like a huge loser going to the mall alone. Now I relish it - ahhh the changes having a toddler makes :lol:

I've eaten at a restaurant alone because of work but I always take something to read or work on so I'm not just sitting there mindlessly by myself.

I went to a movie once by myself. I'd had a horrible day and needed to escape. It felt a little odd going in and out by myself, but was otherwise ok.

A museum or art gallery would be no problem, I've done that before :)

swade66 May 6th, 2010 09:21 AM

I would go to a movie or museum/art gallery alone in a heartbeat. I would totally enjoy the time to myself.

I don't think I could go to a restaurant alone...unless I am on my lunch break and go to some place fast.

Poncho06 May 6th, 2010 10:31 AM

I've done all three many times. When I lived in NYC I would sometimes grab an early dinner on my way home or if I was meeting up with the girls for drinks and had time to kill beforehand, I would just sit and people watch or read a book. I also could move into the Met and my friends and DH don't feel the need to go as often as I do :p I havent been to the movies since I was PG, but I used to love to go alone, no one yapping in my ear (DH is a talker) and no comprimise on what we are going to see.

glasscandie May 6th, 2010 08:13 PM

I wouldn't go to a restaurant alone, but that's about it - otherwise, everything else is fair game! I'd just feel weird sitting and eating by myself, staring at the wall. I guess if it was more of a casual restaurant and I could bring a book or my laptop it'd be OK.

magicalthinking May 7th, 2010 05:15 AM

Sometimes, I just really like being alone. I love shopping alone. I hate shopping with other people. Really, really hate it. I want to to go to the stores I like, and take my time, and not have someone follow me around. And I love to go to movies alone. I pick where I want to sit, what I want to see, ect, ect. Museums are another fun solo because I spend as much time staring at art as I want (or move pass pices I don't like). I'm cool in most resturants alone, though usually I opt to sit at the bar. Then I can chat with the bartender or whomever sits beside me.

I love my DBF, I love my frineds and family, but frankly, I need some space somtimes! I like watching people too, and just thinking about random things. I just like alone time.

sandyjoys May 7th, 2010 06:16 AM

I've been reading Disney planning message boards and there are a lot of people that go to Disney for a week by themselves. I can see the appeal, you can do what you want, go wherever you want... but I think i would get lonely at a place like that.

What do you guys think?

AMDG May 7th, 2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandyjoys (Post 20098322)
I've been reading Disney planning message boards and there are a lot of people that go to Disney for a week by themselves. I can see the appeal, you can do what you want, go wherever you want... but I think i would get lonely at a place like that.

What do you guys think?

I would never go on vacation by myself - if I have the time and money to go on vacation I would want to spend that time with my family. BUT I know that if I did I wouldn't get lonely.

Mikasa May 7th, 2010 03:40 PM

I will go shopping by myself and I will go through a drive thru or get takeout, I don't think I would ever go sit down and eat at a restaurant by myself or go on a vacation or go to a movie by myself. I don't see anything wrong with it, it just does not sound like fun to me. I never go to a movie anyway though, I would rather wait until I can rent it from Red Box for $1 :p