JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Beginner's Forum (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f99-beginners-forum/)
-   -   Rugrats (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f99-beginners-forum/2060539-rugrats.html)

IAmMomMomIAm August 2nd, 2010 11:13 AM

Rugrats

Does anyone remember this show? I'd mostly forgotten about it, until we found it on Netflix.

Three babies and a toddler are constantly left totally unsupervised. In various episodes they end up in the projection room of a movie theatre, the neighbors yard (where there's a vicious dog), on the ice rink during a musical show, etc.

The older girl is 3, and always bullies and abuses them, and no one does anything about it. They also watch excessive amounts of television.

So, knowing all that.. is this a cartoon you'd ever let your own child watch? They never say anything inappropriate in the language department, but it can be argued that the show promotes the idea that bullying/abuse should be tolerated instead of dealt with, at the very least.

The most inappropriate thing I've ever heard on the show was exceptionally hilarious, so i tried to ignore it. There was a "nudist" episode, where the main baby keeps taking all his clothes off. He convinces the twins, a boy and a girl, to follow his example. After the twins (Phil and Lil) get undressed, they look at each other, point and gasp "Phil!" "Lil!!". Then the other boy baby says "Um, Lil..? Can I ask you a question?"

KiwiMommy August 2nd, 2010 12:47 PM

Re: Rugrats

I grew up on that show and never really noticed the bullying or lack of supervision (I'm a child of the 90s. Born in '92), but now that you mention it, I can totally see what you mean! I believe they also had a movie where the boy Tommy got lost in the woods because he toddled off, as well as another movie where, if I remember correctly, they got lost in Paris.
Most of the 90s shows were similar (Ren and Stimpy, for example, was pretty disturbing), and as far as I can tell it hasn't negatively affected children.
I'd let my daughter watch that before I'd let her watch Hannah Montana, but mainly because I'd rather her watch babies having adventures as opposed to a teenager with two lives and constant "boyfriend" talk.
But thats just me.
If I noticed her bullying another child and saying because someone on a show did it, however, she wouldn't be watching that show anymore.

Chloe'sMommy August 2nd, 2010 01:00 PM

I grew up watching it. I had a friend though that wasn't allowed to watch it because of the bully, Angelica. I don't have any issues with it though. Just like with any shows, I'll be teaching Chloe that it's a cartoon and sometimes they do silly things (like take their clothes off).

Tammyjh August 2nd, 2010 04:00 PM

I grew up watching
The Brady Bunch
Little House on the Prairie
The Waltons
The Partridge Family
:sneak:

Mom2Froggy August 2nd, 2010 04:09 PM

LOVE THAT CARTOON! They have it on On Demand, so Lily watches it :) I was an addict of that show when I was younger, same thing as Doug. The babies are all unsupervised and get into trouble, but meh, better than other shows I was into (like Beavis and Butthead). I watch the shows with Lily because I remember them and love them still :)

KiwiMommy August 2nd, 2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Froggy (Post 21064236)
LOVE THAT CARTOON! They have it on On Demand, so Lily watches it :) I was an addict of that show when I was younger, same thing as Doug. The babies are all unsupervised and get into trouble, but meh, better than other shows I was into (like Beavis and Butthead). I watch the shows with Lily because I remember them and love them still :)

It's on On Demand?? I know what I'm watching tonight!!! :D

Mom2Froggy August 2nd, 2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiwiMommy (Post 21067134)
It's on On Demand?? I know what I'm watching tonight!!! :D

Yup! It's under kids, and Nickelodeon, and the episodes are there. Lily says they are under "Top picks" or something, but it's under the nickelodeon channel. :)

RTMOM August 4th, 2010 03:15 PM

I loved that show! and I too just saw it on netflix when I was searching for a show for my son to watch. He asked to watch one episode, but he was bored :lol:

I never remember the bullying or lack of supervision, I guess since the babies talked, I didn't take it too seriously as a kid. ;)

TheMrs August 4th, 2010 04:48 PM

I used to watch that show all the time. I have no real issue with it. I noticed the lack of supervision, but I think that is common with many cartoons. Bullying also seems to be a common theme in kids shows. If I remember right, Tommy (one of the babies) always stood up for the others and the babies often tried to right the wrongs.

(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) August 4th, 2010 11:03 PM

My aunt told me her kids (now 20-25) loved it so she bought dd two of their movies. (First time I had seen them.) I find them overall annoying but dd loves them. I don't like Angelica the bully but I agree it's a central theme in life and kids movies. I wouldn't stop her from watching these but I do prefer more of the popular kids shows from today.

*Dayna* August 10th, 2010 12:21 PM

I love them! I watched them a few years ago again. I think they're really, really cute.

IAmMomMomIAm August 10th, 2010 03:11 PM

With Bob as my witless!!!

kadydid August 10th, 2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tammyjh (Post 21064161)
I grew up watching
The Brady Bunch
Little House on the Prairie
The Waltons
The Partridge Family
:sneak:

I loved them in syndication! After school it was Brady Bunch time!!

I like Rugrats, Owen thinks they are a hoot! We went through a rugrats streaming phase a few months ago...ahhh netflix.

Jarheadwed August 10th, 2010 09:40 PM

"Sometimes a baby's got to do what a baby's got to do!"

I love that show, I'd let my kids watch it for sure.

TheMrs August 11th, 2010 11:28 AM

Oh and it the later years there was Susie...remember her?

KiwiMommy August 15th, 2010 09:54 AM

I remember her! and..argh..what was the other little girl? With purple hair?

On a side note.. I put it on last week and my sisters saw it (they're 5 and 7)
and they spent a full week watching Rugrats, Hey Arnold, and Angry Beavers. I loved it :D

dismalgrin August 16th, 2010 05:27 PM

That was one of the shows banned from the house when I was growing up for pretty much those reasons. As well as the fact that my father felt that we shouldn't watch shows with single parents on them.

My oldest has watched the show on occasion. But, I think it's something more for older kids. I don't think it was ever intended for actual babies to watch. lol

Earthy.Mama August 27th, 2010 06:52 PM

I hated it then, hate it now. DH grew up watching it and now lets Kailey watch it on Netflix. Ugh... *shudders*... I just think it's rude! :lol:

unicornlover September 2nd, 2010 05:48 PM

I loved that show. And still do. The girl with the purple hair, is Kimi. There's also Chuckie, which was Kimi's step-brother, and Tommy's best friend.

TheMrs September 2nd, 2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unicorngirl2006 (Post 21397109)
I loved that show. And still do. The girl with the purple hair, is Kimi. There's also Chuckie, which was Kimi's step-brother, and Tommy's best friend.

Yes! Now I remember "the girl with the purple hair"!! I had really stopped watching it by then. My sis was addicted. She still (25) watches all those Disney and Nick cartoons.

Speaking of....anyone remember Salute Your Shorts or Hey Dude on Nick? I LOVED those Shows!!!
Salute Your Shorts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Hey Dude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia