JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Beginner's Forum (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f99-beginners-forum/)
-   -   Superstition, Luck/Bad Luck Rituals (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f99-beginners-forum/2143755-superstition-luck-bad-luck-rituals.html)

Elena * K&E's Mama October 28th, 2010 12:07 AM

Superstition, Luck/Bad Luck Rituals

What are your superstitions or rituals for luck or to counter bad luck?
Do you have items that bring you good luck, or which you avoid because they're unlucky?
Do you find other superstitions strange or ridiculous?
Do some only apply at certain times of the year, or on certain holidays?
Are some items or phrases inherently lucky, or inherently unlucky?
Are certain numbers lucky or unlucky?
Why, for all of the above? What's the story behind the belief?

It's always fascinating to hear peoples' superstitions and beliefs about luck and the folklore that surrounds them.

melkissa2004 October 28th, 2010 01:16 PM

Re: Superstition, Luck/Bad Luck Rituals

What are your superstitions or rituals for luck or to counter bad luck?
I don't have any really. Sometimes I knock on wood after saying something, but I'm not really serious about it. It's more of a habit.
Do you have items that bring you good luck, or which you avoid because they're unlucky?
No.
Do you find other superstitions strange or ridiculous?
Yes.
Do some only apply at certain times of the year, or on certain holidays?
Like mistletoe? Hell yeah. I'm putting some right over my front door.
Are some items or phrases inherently lucky, or inherently unlucky?
No.
Are certain numbers lucky or unlucky?
Not in my experience.
Why, for all of the above? What's the story behind the belief?
N/A?

Tersh October 28th, 2010 01:54 PM

I have no belief in superstitions or lucky numbers/days, anything.

Linzie October 28th, 2010 03:25 PM

What are your superstitions or rituals for luck or to counter bad luck? I don't have any superstitions, and I don't participate in rituals.
Do you have items that bring you good luck, or which you avoid because they're unlucky? I once had a fake, neon green rabbits foot, but that's just because they were cool at the time.
Do you find other superstitions strange or ridiculous? I find all superstitions ridiculous. Most are just common sense. Mirrors were expensive back in the day, a ladder could fall and hurt you, or you could knock the ladder and hurt someone on the ladder, just common sense.
Do some only apply at certain times of the year, or on certain holidays? Nope
Are some items or phrases inherently lucky, or inherently unlucky? I don't believe so.
Are certain numbers lucky or unlucky?Numbers are numbers.
Why, for all of the above? What's the story behind the belief? Well, I've walked under ladders, broken mirrors, spilled the salt, I own 5 pure black cats, and nothing out of the ordinary has ever happened to me. Really, I don't believe in "luck". Yea, I use the phrase "Oh Lucky!" but that's just out of habit. :p

K.A.T October 28th, 2010 05:38 PM

What are your superstitions or rituals for luck or to counter bad luck?I don't have any.
Do you have items that bring you good luck, or which you avoid because they're unlucky?No
Do you find other superstitions strange or ridiculous?sometimes
Do some only apply at certain times of the year, or on certain holidays?I really don't buy into it.
Are some items or phrases inherently lucky, or inherently unlucky?I don't think so.
Are certain numbers lucky or unlucky? Another that I don't think so.
Why, for all of the above? What's the story behind the belief?I don't think there really is anything one can do about their luck. Be it good or bad. Honestly, it's probably all in the persons mind and what they project.

rachelc0 December 11th, 2013 01:22 PM

i don't have any, but hubby does. maybe this applies for all male sports fans. he'll wear his MN Vikings jersey for the first regular season game. if they win, he wears it for every game. if they lose, he doesn't wear it on game day for the rest of the season. i can't help but needle him a little about that, but it means something to him.