JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Beginner's Forum (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f99-beginners-forum/)
-   -   The Great Dog Debate (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f99-beginners-forum/2165357-great-dog-debate.html)

Linzie November 18th, 2010 07:10 PM

The Great Dog Debate

So we are seriously looking at getting dog for our new house. We've wanted one for a long while, but didn't have the space. Now we have the space (1 acre of land!), the only problem is, the space has been broken into twice now. We have definite reasons to suspect the Heat&Air company that has been installing the new central heat/air system, but just in case it's the neighbors....

So, what would you consider the best family/guard dog? I have a 10 yr old, 7 yr old, and 6mo old. We need a dog that will intimidate people coming up to the house, but family friendly, and preferably with a loud bark.

DH is really wanting a German Shepard, that is his absolute favorite type of dog. My favorite type of dog is a Husky, but most of the Huskies I have come into contact with have not been good with children. Whatever we get has to be a large breed dog. I just don't see a small terrier scaring off anyone. :lol: I would love to have any dog, but a large breed would suit us better all around.

Thoughts, opinions? What do you think would be the best dog for this position and why? I'm currently doing research on breeds now, but i figure some of you ladies would have some amazing input. :)

Hey... Where's Perry? November 18th, 2010 09:24 PM

Re: The Great Dog Debate

I have always loved English Bulldogs, they're so chubby. I like German Shepards too. That being said, I'm not really a dog person hahahah. Good luck! :)

Babybear4 November 18th, 2010 09:47 PM

I would highly recommend a boxer. They are scary looking, but are super lovable. I grew up with a boxers and they are very protective over their people. Any boxer I've ever known doesn't hesitate to bark at strangers and protect their territory.

The drawbacks I would say that I could see is that boxers have a very short attention span and require A LOT of attention. They can be a little klutzy and sometimes don't remember how big they are, but for the most part, they just want to love on you and play. Their bark is much, much bigger than their bite but they'll do what they've gotta to protect their people, even if it means just tackle somebody and lick them to death, which is the most likely thing for a boxer to do. :lol:

**Badfish** November 18th, 2010 11:29 PM

Australian Shepard. They're a medium-sized dog but they are extremely protective and amazing family pets. Any dog that barks is going to be intimidating and most dogs will bark at a stranger. Whatever you decide, definitely look into breed-specific diseases and conditions, especially with larger breeds. Large-breed dogs also tend to have shorter lifespans, which is something to take into consideration when you have kids who will get attached.

Chloe'sMommy November 19th, 2010 08:24 AM

I love German Shepards! My dad has one that is absolutely gorgeous to look at because of his coloring, but his bark is so loud, deep, and intimidating. People cross to the other side of the street because they're afraid. But this dog wouldn't hurt anyone. Sonny (doggie's name) loves Chloe and lets her just lay all over him and sit on his back. Every German Shep I've come into contact with has been so docile around children but would protect them with their lives. When we have some land and more space I'd love to get one or two.

Linzie November 19th, 2010 11:21 AM

That's one of the reasons DH want's a German Shepard so bad. They are great with children, but are pretty intimidating and territorial over what is theirs. They are great to train too, why else would they have the capacity to be such good Police Dogs?

Thanks for the input everyone!! :) You have certainly given me a lot to think about. And Jess, thanks for informing me to look up diseases/conditions. We will really be able to get a clear picture of what we want to get now.

**Badfish** November 19th, 2010 12:03 PM

Most police dogs are Belgian Malinoises (I have no idea if that's the right plural). Also amazing dogs that would be good for what you are looking for. Belgian Malinois Information and Pictures

Linzie November 19th, 2010 12:54 PM

They do look a little similar. I think it's the ears. ;) Thanks again Jess. That breed would fit very well with our new conditions. We have a large plot that just needs a fence, and I am a daily walker.

Our main plan for getting a dog is to troll the local shelters, and only buy from a breeder if none of the shelters have what we are looking for. Hopefully we will find a German Shepard or Belgian Malinois that needs a good new home.

Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden November 19th, 2010 01:29 PM

I would get an Australian Shepherd or Boxer. They're amazing with kids but great for keeping watch over the house. I grew up with an Australian Shepherd and I've known many friends with boxers.

If you didn't have your heart set on a large breed, I'd say get a Shiba Inu! They look like miniature Husky's or foxes, but they are the most protective dogs I've ever seen. No one can enter our house without her barking ferociously and she'll follow you around the entire time you're in without ever letting you out of her sight. If you make a sudden move, she will bark. After a few times of coming over, she'll only bark for a second or two. But she wouldn't hurt a fly! She's a big Husky in a tiny body. Her name's Maya.

tiredmom November 19th, 2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linzie (Post 22196886)

Our main plan for getting a dog is to troll the local shelters, and only buy from a breeder if none of the shelters have what we are looking for. Hopefully we will find a German Shepard or Belgian Malinois that needs a good new home.

I love that idea. I'm a big proponent of shelter/rescue dogs over buying from a breeder. There are so many wonderful dogs that are killed just because they can't find a good home. Both of our dogs are from a shelter and they are both perfect for what you want. They are big, gentle with kids, and with a great bark to scare away strangers. One of them is a German Shepard mix. IDK what she is mixed with, but she looks enough like a german shepard, that people will often cross the street when we are walking (which is crazy, because she wouldn't hurt a fly - well ok, she does eat flies, but that's about it). Good luck with your search. Just remember, a barking dog, barks at more than just bad guys, which can be irritating with little ones that need to nap or go to bed.

Linzie November 19th, 2010 02:08 PM

Oh Shiba Inu's those are adorable! :D I did a quick search on them and their temperament, any health problems and they seem like good, sound dogs. Thanks for the input.

It's getting really hard to decide now.

ETA: Sarah, shelters also would fit our budget a little more! It's a win-win situation. We get a good dog for a few hundreds less than buying from a breeder, and an animal gets a home it deserves. There are plenty of purebred dogs in shelters, and they come spayed/neutered, which means no oopsies!

foxfire_ga79 November 19th, 2010 03:19 PM

Great Danes. Get a whole herd of them. Nothing funnier than a boat load of Great Danes staring someone down and stopping them in their tracks. Mine are great with my kids.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/S7300061.jpg

I also want to add that German Shepherds are the only breed of dog that I'm afraid of as a breed in general. My mom was attacked by one, my ex husband was attacked by one right in front of me, I've been bitten by one, and my BFF had one that snapped at her kids.
I'm not exactly their biggest fan.

AND, you live close enough to me that I can hook you up with a passive Dane rescue.

*Jennifer* November 19th, 2010 04:07 PM

Dh had Great Dane's growing up. He hated picking up their giant poops!

So now his dogs are smaller....much smaller....and they don't bark....they cluck. Okay, they aren't dogs at all. We have pet chickens.

foxfire_ga79 November 19th, 2010 04:40 PM

Yea, cuz chicken poop smells so much better than dog poop. I'd rather deal with picking up the landmines that smelling chicken****. :sick::sneak::D

Linzie November 19th, 2010 06:54 PM

DH just vetoed the Dane. He says they are TOO big. :smackshead: I then asked him about an Irish Wolfhound. :p Those aren't dogs, those are ponies!! He's got his heart set on a German. It's been his dream dog for a long time. Maybe we can get another dog down the line. No one would mess with a house that had a German Shepard AND a Great Dane! :lol:

And Rebbecca, that's funny. I met someone today who was part of a Great Dane rescue! She also helps with other breed-specific rescue organizations. And I live 2 hours east from Atlanta. ;)

IAmMomMomIAm November 20th, 2010 06:48 AM

I've always wanted an Irish Wolfhound.

Shiba Inus are cute, but they can be VERY dominant, and can take some hardcore training. I wouldn't recommend them as family pets, but then I've only had one (she was nippy and had a lot of attitude).

I really like Border Collies, but I think that any working breed should actually be put to work. Border Collies and Aussies are likely to herd your children for you.

I'm a huge fan of rescuing dogs. If you're looking for a specific breed and can't find it at the pound, there's probably a breed rescue in your area (especially if it's something common like a GSD). I would go that route before a breeder.

*Jennifer* November 30th, 2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 (Post 22199197)
Yea, cuz chicken poop smells so much better than dog poop. I'd rather deal with picking up the landmines that smelling chicken****. :sick::sneak::D

LOL! Well, I am not responsible for the chicken poop. Actually, only a few of them are really smelly. Maybe because DH cleans up after them daily so the poop doesn't have time to fester. Maybe because we have only 2 chickens. I'm sure 20 would be very bad!

glasscandie November 30th, 2010 10:42 AM

I would *not* suggest a Husky if you want a guard dog LOL We have two, and although some people think they look intimidating, they'll actually be you're best friend if you say "Oh who's a good doggy?!" Or if you just look at them. Or if you don't. They're also escape artists, and while the land would be great for them to run around on, you'd need some seriously secure fencing to make sure they didn't run away. Plus our youngest howls all.the.time. :badpc:

Linzie November 30th, 2010 12:12 PM

So they're are kind of like Labs in that sense? My mom has three and they bark at any car that pulls up, but the second anyone gets out its all "smiles" and tail wagging and licking. :lol:

glasscandie November 30th, 2010 01:18 PM

I don't know what the norm is! Our older Husky is very quiet, kind of shy, doesn't run away anymore (she's 6.5 years old). Our younger one, who's almost 2, barks at EVERYTHING, runs around like a nutcase, and will befriend you if you give her the slightest ounce of attention.