JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Birth Control (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f303-birth-control/)
-   -   Using a fertility monitor/mircoscope as a form of BC? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f303-birth-control/2468925-using-fertility-monitor-mircoscope-form-bc.html)

OatmealKisses December 31st, 2011 12:22 PM

Using a fertility monitor/mircoscope as a form of BC?

This month I am using the ovatel saliva microscope to find out when I'm ovulating and avoid having relations during the 5 day fertile period. I'm not good enough at knowing what I'm doing to be able to monitor my CM, cervix position, softness, or remembering to take my basal temp at the same time every morning. I don't want more hormones in my body making me crazy and fat, and hubby hates using condoms (yeah, I know. they all do). I though this might be a good alternative.

I do want a BIG family, like 8 kids, and I only have one so far. So if I did get pregnant we would both very much want the baby. The only thing is that I had hyperemesis with my last pregnancy and I'm not ready to go through that again. My body needs time to heal. I'm also sooo afraid of being able to take care of my son while being that sick.

ShawnaCAN January 3rd, 2012 11:59 AM

Re: Using a fertility monitor/mircoscope as a form of BC?

The saliva monitors aren't very effective for avoiding pregnancy, but there's no harm in giving it a whirl!

You can avoid pregnancy without having to chart all the signs of fertility though. Some forms of charting require checking CM, cervix position, temps, etc. But some only require tracking one sign to keep things more simple. We use the Billings Ovulation Method, it requires tracking CM only and keeps things really simple. It's also 99% effective. BOMA-USA - Home

If you like the idea of using a monitor, there is a form of Natural Family Planning that uses the ClearBlue Fertility Monitor. It's called the Marquette Model. It's more effective than saliva tracking and there are certain rules you follow to use the monitor for avoiding. Information about that here: Marquette University | Natural Family Planning

OatmealKisses January 3rd, 2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN (Post 25413166)
If you like the idea of using a monitor, there is a form of Natural Family Planning that uses the ClearBlue Fertility Monitor. It's called the Marquette Model. It's more effective than saliva tracking and there are certain rules you follow to use the monitor for avoiding. Information about that here: Marquette University | Natural Family Planning

I think the monitor idea. I was planning on getting the clear blue easy fertility monitor also and using both.

ShawnaCAN January 3rd, 2012 09:15 PM

Feel free to join us over at the NFP/FAM board! There are other ladies over there avoiding pregnancy by tracking fertility in one way or another. One of them participated in a study on the Marquette Model actually!