JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Birth Control (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f303-birth-control/)
-   -   IUD - Concerns? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f303-birth-control/2629366-iud-concerns.html)

SSGMama February 25th, 2013 09:56 PM

IUD - Concerns?

I noticed in the thread about what BC you hate a large quantity of you said you hated IUD's. I was thinking about getting the IUD and woudl be interested in hearing your concerns. It seemed like many of you elaborated on what you dont like about BCP, condoms and depo, but I did not see any comments about the IUD. Although I will admit I only read through the first two pages of posts.

momof8lopez February 27th, 2013 11:55 AM

Re: IUD - Concerns?

When I had my Paraguard IUD from 2005 to 2009, I LOVED IT! No hormones, no disrupting your regular cycle. I did bleed heavier, but cramps were not bad. I had no spotting and it was 99.9% effective. I do not have any experience with Mirena, but alot of lady's like that too. There are lots of risks involved with an IUD, make sure you make a very informed decision. Just because I loved it and it had no issues with me, does not mean it won't for you. Good luck!

Urchin February 28th, 2013 08:04 AM

I think a lot of people hate the Mirena IUD because it causes a stupid amount of side effects. I hear of so many problems with that darn thing!

I have had the copper IUD twice now. I really do like it. No hormonal side-effects. The only problem I had was after 2 and a half years, my periods started to get a lot heavier. I had it removed at that point to get ready to TTC, and my periods returned to normal.

Neads February 28th, 2013 09:02 AM

I bled the entire 9 months I had Mirena. I started having headaches everyday and was very moody. I frequently felt pinch/poke feelings from it. I felt so much better after it was removed (except that I started feeling very pregnant and my cycles were over 50 days long for a while until my hormones got back on track).

mommy2aidenjames March 7th, 2013 09:59 PM

Mine has given me back problems since day 1. I have felt cramping down there a lot, but I haven't had my period in over a year and a half. It's different for everyone though, but there are some *potentially* dangerous side effects if it comes loose or gets knocked outta place. Good luck!

Pinkapple March 13th, 2013 05:52 PM

I had the mirena for about 9 months, but had it removed due to the horrible side effects. The worst mood swings I've ever had, along with constant spotting, weight gain (60 pounds!)...I'm 9 months pregnant and the only thing I can compare the Mirena side effects to, is pregnancy.

I stopped using any kind of hormonal BC because of Mirena. I'm considering a copper IUD after my pregnancy, but I'm so nervous that I will have horrible side effects again...

Social Halfwit March 16th, 2013 04:21 PM

I have had the Mirena twice, first time August 2006 - Februaryish 2008. I had it removed because it was causing a lot of cramping. Then I got it again in Februaryish 2009 and am coming up on the expiration date at the end of this year. I don't get periods at all on it, but sometimes it causes some discomfort. I also can not lose weight at all, I don't know if it's thanks to the IUD or if my body is just a butt like that. I do get headaches a lot (then again, I do have two children and six animals....) I haven't hated my Mirena, I'm definitely thankful it has been effective.

SSGMama March 17th, 2013 12:34 AM

I'm going to get ParaGuard the Copper IUD. any issues with this particular BC?

MommaLove13 March 17th, 2013 07:37 AM

I had mirena from 2007-2009 loved it! Had it removed in August 09 to TTC and was pregnant in October 09. Got mirena in August 2010 and had it removed last month to TTC. I loved the mirena and will get it again after we have another baby. No AF at all, no pain, no issues at all. It's not for everyone. You either love it or hate it, and I loved it!

mama2ladybugs March 17th, 2013 07:39 AM

I had the Paragard for all of 2-3 months before I had to make 2 trips to the ER due to severe pain and nausea. First trip they wouldnt check the placement for me. Second time I went to another hospital, begged them to remove it, and when they looked they said it was sitting on my cervix trying to push its way out. Thanks a lot Paragard!!!! Ill never get it again, but I know not everyone has that kind of problem with the IUD. Keep in mind though that if you do become pregnant while its in, it can cause very serious problems...miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, death. Its all stuff to consider.

LABs March 19th, 2013 11:47 AM

I've had both types. The Mirena worked well, but I got ovarian cysts after a few yrs. I kept it for the full 5 yrs. It was horrible after the easy removal. I had hemorrhage bleeding for days. It was horrible! So the worst part was going off it!

After my last baby I got the Paraguard. Loved it! I had no symptoms of using birth control. I had it removed in January and am now pg. I plan to get another after this baby. AF was normal light, no cramping and no side effects for me. I was able to easily loose weight. I easily lost the 10 lbs I wanted to before TTC. I had it for 2 1/2 yrs.