JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Blended Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f65-blended-families/)
-   -   Cute stepparent quote I saw :) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f65-blended-families/2597502-cute-stepparent-quote-i-saw.html)

mom2more November 20th, 2012 09:49 AM

Cute stepparent quote I saw :)

It takes a strong person to accept somebody else's children and step up to the plate another person left on the table....

I saw this and loved it!! :heart:

plan4fate November 20th, 2012 10:08 AM

Re: Cute stepparent quote I saw :)

hmm.. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. I tend to read most of these in a negative light, including this one.

mom2more November 20th, 2012 10:16 AM

I just take it as its easy to accept and love your own children. But as a stepparent you love and care for children that you don't "have to".

I grew up with my parents being divorced and I had wonderful stepparents who stepped up and treated me as their own. Their families never made me feel like I didn't belong. Even when they had children with my parents I never felt like I was treated differently or loved less by them. And even after my mother and stepfather divorced him and his family have still treated me like I am family. I just have always thought that was amazing and that he was a wonderful person for it!

.Katie. November 20th, 2012 10:30 AM

haha I take it literally because BM abandoned Chloe for her own needs. I like it.

But I'm bitter.

My2miracles November 20th, 2012 12:03 PM

I have mixed feelings on this one.

DH did step up & become dd's only father so it warms me to read it. On the other hand, I am a stepparent but bio mom raising dsd not me. So in that light I find it a bit insulting because not all stepparents "to the plate that's been left on the table". In this case, I'm just the woman dh married.

plan4fate November 20th, 2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Katie. (Post 26788592)
haha I take it literally because BM abandoned Chloe for her own needs. I like it.

But I'm bitter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2miracles (Post 26789084)
I have mixed feelings on this one.

DH did step up & become dd's only father so it warms me to read it. On the other hand, I am a stepparent but bio mom raising dsd not me. So in that light I find it a bit insulting because not all stepparents "to the plate that's been left on the table". In this case, I'm just the woman dh married.

You've both pretty much summed up my opinion on it. It suits Katie, because Chloe's mom ran off, leaving Chloe hanging (aka plate on the table).

For Kris, it fits in one sense (cause of a parent who just wasn't being a parent), but not in the other.

For me.. it doesn't fit at all. L hasn't left Reme, he's not a plate on the table. However, DH did leave, he couldn't be happy Married to L.. so it makes it sound like he's the bad guy for walking away, and M's a hero for stepping in. When I reality, DH would take and raise Reme in a second, but to him the best place for HIS son is with his mom.

So... as I said.. I still view it as a negative.

It's like the "Any man can make a baby, it takes a real man to raise a child." DH isn't raising Reme.. so it's like the world doesn't see him as a real man.

.Katie. November 20th, 2012 12:52 PM

I deff think it speaks more to those that have had to pick up slack of the other parent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan4fate (Post 26789246)

It's like the "Any man can make a baby, it takes a real man to raise a child." DH isn't raising Reme.. so it's like the world doesn't see him as a real man.

He is raising Reme. He is still a huge part of his life. I see him as a real man.

My2miracles November 20th, 2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Katie. (Post 26789387)
I deff think it speaks more to those that have had to pick up slack of the other parent.

He is raising Reme. He is still a huge part of his life. I see him as a real man.

Yup this was my thought too. He's Reme's dad all the way! Just because he doesn't live with him full-time doesn't make him not his father. He's a very involved dad.

Dh isn't that involved in his dds' lives because bm made it so. She moved them 4 hours away & did everything in her power to alienate him. He has however paid child support faithfully, gone to their big events (1st communion, dance recitals, school plays, etc) and done what he could to be their dad. I think he's very much a man just like your dh!

mom2more November 20th, 2012 01:20 PM

For my situation it fits, so I like it.

Rachel November 20th, 2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Katie. (Post 26788592)

But I'm bitter.

Me too! But she dumped the kids on us so she could party.