JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Blended Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f65-blended-families/)
-   -   A formal announcement, and a conversation with my dsc tonight (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f65-blended-families/2626028-formal-announcement-and-conversation-my-dsc-tonight.html)

Keakie February 15th, 2013 04:59 PM

A formal announcement, and a conversation with my dsc tonight

For those who don't know, dh and I are expecting our first bundle later this year. My official due date is September 3rd, so it's looking like it will be a late summer baby.

We went up to Canada last weekend to share with my family, and finally got a hold of dh's parents in one place tonight on the phone (my fil was out of town for work until last night). Everyone has been great - screaming and crying from my mom, especially. :giggle: We called my dsc shortly after, had my oldest dsd round everyone up and put us on speakerphone and told them they would have a new baby brother or sister in either late August or early September.

I was really nervous about how they would respond. I wasn't sure how they would feel... but what we got was lots of excited screaming. My oldest dsd A kept saying, "OMG! That's awesome! I can't believe it!" and my littlest dsd L said, "I'm really excited to have a new sibling. I really miss you." to dh. I about started crying. We miss them so much. My middle dss said, "Awesome!" and then promptly started asking about video game stuff. :giggle: Boys. I'm not sure my youngest dss really understood, but he knew the other kids were excited so he started cheering too.

I'm not sure how my oldest dss is feeling. He was a little quiet when he got on the phone individually, but I'm not sure if he's having mixed feelings or it was because he had been in the middle of something. I hope that he's alright and if he is having mixed feelings, I hope that by the time the baby is here he's feeling more secure that it doesn't mean he is any less loved.

I'm really happy with the way it went. I'm annoyed that we still haven't gotten a court date and so our long distance visitation schedule has yet to be nailed down, but we're hoping to visit sometime in the spring before having them up here for a good chunk of the summer.

Anyway, I just wanted to formally "come out" and share how talking to the kids went. :) I'm sure that bm is flipping tables somewhere right about now, especially given the reaction and excitement, but considering this is the woman who once asked people to pray that I was infertile, I was never exactly expecting a congratulations from her when this day came. I just hope she keeps the drama stirring to a minimum, and doesn't fill the kids' heads with any, "You're being replaced" crap.

mom2more February 15th, 2013 05:37 PM

Re: A formal announcement, and a conversation with my dsc tonight

Im glad your news went over so well with everyone, especially the kids! How exciting! !

Ember Rose February 15th, 2013 05:47 PM

I think as long as you stay on the phone with the kids and keep reassuring them they'll know. They seem to be starting to see through their mom's shenanigans at this point.

ShesaDreamer February 15th, 2013 06:07 PM

Wonderful news! And our BM tried that with the boys. Told them that we would love the new baby more than them. But they were just so excited by the end of my pregnancy that they were getting a sister that they didn't care! i hope that everything goes wonderful and you get to see the kids soon!

K.A.T February 15th, 2013 06:33 PM

I'm so glad you're out to everyone and that the kids took it so well.

Keakie February 15th, 2013 07:23 PM

Thanks so much, ladies! :)

I'm also really happy with the way telling my il's went. I was a little apprehensive of that too, since their initial reactions with my dsc were not fantastic. They weren't terrible and were always happy by the time the baby would arrive, but I guess they would often include a lot of, "Are you sure you can afford it?" type of comments and were generally less than excited at first.

There was no screaming like there was from my mom :giggle: but they said congratulations and that it was exciting, asked how I had been feeling and we joked about the fact that we didn't choose month that we don't already have a family birthday in (I'm early August, and my mil's sister is September 5th - I think we deduced at this point that April and July are the only open months between everyone on that side of the family). I really was bracing myself for some kind of comment, but it didn't come. :heart:

stucklikeglue February 15th, 2013 08:07 PM

I'm so happy everyone took it well. I really do hope the pot stirring stays to a minimum. Dsd's gma tried that with her and it really isn't fair or mature.

plan4fate February 15th, 2013 10:38 PM

:) I've already told you I'm glad it all went well.. and your mom didn't let me down with her tears lol.

I hope BM doesn't try too much crap.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.. we laid down after Reme went home.. and I just woke up...my nap turned into half a nights sleep!

Wisey February 16th, 2013 04:19 AM

Yay!!!!! Glad it all went well!!!!

steppiemum February 16th, 2013 09:25 AM

So happy for you! We were nervous telling my stepdaughters when we were pregnant with Rylan because we didn't know how they would react. So I know the feeling of nervousness!!

stresswife February 16th, 2013 10:19 AM

Ahhh!!! YAY!!! SO happy for you!!!
so glad the kids took it well too!

AtomicMama February 19th, 2013 07:46 AM

Congratulations :) That's great! And I'm so happy that everyone took it so well :)

w292737 February 20th, 2013 08:00 AM

that's awesome!

Keakie February 20th, 2013 08:28 AM

Aaand it took 4? days from the announcement for their mother to lose her **** with us over something dumb. :rollseyes: She doesn't disappoint.

stresswife February 20th, 2013 11:53 AM

Ohh boo on her, try not let her stupid shannigans bother you, easier said than done I know. Dh's Ex reacted horribly to my pregnancy.

Keakie February 20th, 2013 06:22 PM

It would have bothered me a lot less if today hadn't sucked in general. I got some bad news from family back home, had to mess around with my next prenatal appointment because dh's company scheduled something that conflicted with what I booked two weeks ago and dh was in meetings out of state all day (he had to leave at 6:00 this morning and didn't get home until 5:30 this evening) and I really, really missed/needed him today. He made it up to me when he got home :heart: and our night has been better, but today just sucked. Dealing with her miserable, petty attitude was the last thing I wanted to think about.