JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Blended Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f65-blended-families/)
-   -   Step-parent Adoption (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f65-blended-families/269916-step-parent-adoption.html)

Liz August 3rd, 2006 06:52 AM

Has anyone here gone through a step-parent adoption? My husband is adopting Matthew. We have the paperwork drawn up and I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and how difficult it was? We will be filing in the next few weeks (after my ex signs the papers giving up his rights). I'm assuming this is a fairly common type of adoption and the court process is fairly simple - but I could be wrong.

CrazyFrog August 3rd, 2006 09:53 AM

My dad adopted my step-mom's daughter when I was young and it was a pretty fast process. I would say it took maybe 2 months or so. Good luck and keep us updated!

kellybee August 4th, 2006 12:11 PM

Quote:

Has anyone here gone through a step-parent adoption? My husband is adopting Matthew. We have the paperwork drawn up and I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and how difficult it was? We will be filing in the next few weeks (after my ex signs the papers giving up his rights). I'm assuming this is a fairly common type of adoption and the court process is fairly simple - but I could be wrong.[/b]
It probably depends a lot on where you live. Here in PA, our law office has handled tons of step-parent adoptions. However, there is a 40-day waiting period between the time that the biological parent signs off and the time you can file the petition for adoption. You also have to file a petition to confirm the consent at the same time. The good thing is that usually both hearings are held at the same time. The 40 days is to give any biological parent an opportunity to withdraw their consent prior to the adoption. If they don't then it's confirmed and the adoption is granted after a 5 to 10 minute hearing in Judge's Chambers. After that, the biological parent then has 30 days to appeal to the Superior Court. It stinks, but we've never had anyone revoke a consent prior to an adoption or appeal afterward.

Good luck to you and your family!

Kelly

*Bry* August 5th, 2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Has anyone here gone through a step-parent adoption? My husband is adopting Matthew. We have the paperwork drawn up and I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and how difficult it was? We will be filing in the next few weeks (after my ex signs the papers giving up his rights). I'm assuming this is a fairly common type of adoption and the court process is fairly simple - but I could be wrong.[/b]
I was adopted by my mom's husband when I was 11 years old...
I rem. going to a courtroom and the judge asked me what I wanted to do...
And as far as I know everything went pretty smoothly
Your husband is an excellent man!

Quote:

Quote:

It probably depends a lot on where you live. Here in PA, our law office has handled tons of step-parent adoptions. However, there is a 40-day waiting period between the time that the biological parent signs off and the time you can file the petition for adoption. You also have to file a petition to confirm the consent at the same time. The good thing is that usually both hearings are held at the same time. The 40 days is to give any biological parent an opportunity to withdraw their consent prior to the adoption. If they don't then it's confirmed and the adoption is granted after a 5 to 10 minute hearing in Judge's Chambers. After that, the biological parent then has 30 days to appeal to the Superior Court. It stinks, but we've never had anyone revoke a consent prior to an adoption or appeal afterward.

Good luck to you and your family!

Kelly
[/b]
Kelly I'm in PA too

vimagray August 6th, 2006 04:21 PM

This is an issue that interests me as well, because DH and I will soon be starting the paperwork for me to legally adopt Spencer. His bio mom had her parental rights terminated years ago, so according to my attorney friend it shouldn't be too much hassle. I'm really looking forward to it. I consider him my son already, but it'll be so great to have it all legal so nobody can complain.