JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Book Club (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1834-book-club/)
-   -   Calling all bookworms...!! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1834-book-club/2530462-calling-all-bookworms.html)

Jen@FirsAve May 23rd, 2012 08:41 AM

Calling all bookworms...!!

You may have seen the threads on the main board about us holding our own book club, Dawn has now very kindly set up this forum for us to do it! I offered to get us started since I'm soo excited to do it - I love reading!!

So first off, I thought we should decide the following:
1. Frequency of new books - weekly, fortnightly, monthly - I'm happy to go with fortnightly as that will give me time to get hold of the book AND actually read it!
2. Start date - I suggest monday 28th May
3. How we pick the books - I thought people could make recommendations and maybe we could put a list as a sticky that we can add to and allocate a date to (people can then also see what were reading and when incase they wana join?)

This maybe getting abit ahead but iv seen two book reviews today that look quite good -
Me before you by jojo moynes - a girly lovestory
Into the darkest corner by elizabeth haynes - a more serious story about domestic abuse and OCD

We could do one of these from Monday if everyone is happy...

So let me know what you think about all the above (apologies for the crazy long post :giggle:)

kbpeanut May 23rd, 2012 08:54 AM

Re: Calling all bookworms...!!

What the heck is fortnightly?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

blueeyes25s May 23rd, 2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbpeanut (Post 26067387)

:ditto:??? :D

KatieKat May 23rd, 2012 10:17 AM

I think it's every 2 weeks? ;)

Maybe one person could be 'in charge' of picking the books every 2 weeks (or whatever frequency we pick). I read on another online book club that one person gives options for a book, and then everyone votes on it. We could make it a poll. So every 2 weeks someone is nominated to pick some options, we all vote on it, and then start reading!

kbpeanut May 23rd, 2012 10:39 AM

That sounds good to me! I can tell you that weekly would be too often for me...I can't really predict our schedules, and I would hate to always be behind. Every two weeks (fortnightly???) or monthly would be good, I think, anyway!

KatieKat May 23rd, 2012 10:46 AM

For me, I think monthly would be best. That way we can have a week to pick the book, then a couple weeks to read it, then a week to talk about it. How does that sound?

kbpeanut May 23rd, 2012 10:51 AM

I think that works great, actually. I know we all have different/busy schedules, especially with summer just around the corner. Monthly sounds great to me. Let's see what other folks think, but sounds about right!

Jen@FirsAve May 23rd, 2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbpeanut (Post 26067387)

Lol :giggle: sorry! It means every two weeks, I can't believe I found an english word you don't know! Ooops!

Monthly is fine for me - I know I read quite quickly sometimes if I get a book I can't put down! Also that's a great idea for the poll for picking the books, I'd be happy to do this (as long as I'm not stepping on anyone hosting toes by doing so :unsure:) as i :wub: this idea

p.s. im still tickled about the fortnightly thing, dunno why :lol:

kbpeanut May 23rd, 2012 02:05 PM

You are more than welcome to take the lead on this, Jen! Dawn and I have plenty to do with our hosting duties...and if you're willing, go for it!

Now, my goal is to think of a word that makes you go :what::what::what::what:

Jen@FirsAve May 23rd, 2012 02:09 PM

Fab, I can't wait! I hope lots of people wana join in!

Hmmm..there have been a few I've come across - 'broil' was a good one - I think I figured out its like grilling, but not in a bbq sense but like the bit attached to your oven that you might use to make cheese on toast!

bellabri287 May 23rd, 2012 05:26 PM

hi ladies, i'm in. :smile:

monthly works good for me, love the idea of a poll for the books. however, im wiener and don't really like super 'dark' books so if you end up picking one i may not join. i read a lot of dark books (child called it & lucky ect...) when I was in HS and it's just not my thing anymore. i read fluffy stuff mostly, looking forward to Wicked Business in june.

i wanted to start the The Southern Vampire Mysteries series but that can wait. :)

Coley June 10th, 2012 01:18 PM

I've probably missed out on the first book by now since you picked the title back in May. (Sorry... I needed to step away) But I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next poll...

Hope everyone enjoys the first :bookworm:

Jen@FirsAve June 10th, 2012 01:27 PM

Hey Nikki, we've literally only just started the alloted 'month' last week so theres still plenty of time for you to join in if you can get hold of the book (some people have had a few issues but we'll bear this in mind next time)

glad you see your back, no need to apologise, i 100% understand why you needed to :hug:

Coley June 10th, 2012 01:32 PM

Oh cool! If you guys just started, I'll see if I can find it... I'm a fairly quick reader, so I may be able to catch up. :D

Jen@FirsAve June 10th, 2012 01:35 PM

thats great! im a quick reader too and i loved the book, i got hold of it yesterday and read it yesterday :giggle:

Hope you can find a copy!

blueeyes25s July 29th, 2012 04:35 AM

Just checking in to see how everything is going. I am hoping to join for the next book!

Missa_Mae July 29th, 2012 07:44 AM

:ditto:

I am a huge bookworm! I'm ususally the girl who finished the book in a day :-)

Let me know when I can jump in on the next one.

I finished the 50 Shades of Grey series a few weeks ago and haven't been able to get into anything else (except pregnancy books!!!)

Jen@FirsAve July 30th, 2012 08:01 AM

Welll.....it seemed to fall about the wayside but alot of people had difficulties getting hold of the book we chose. i'll post on the main board - see if people want to start fresh..

blueeyes25s July 30th, 2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missa_Mae (Post 26331962)
:ditto:

I am a huge bookworm! I'm ususally the girl who finished the book in a day :-)

Let me know when I can jump in on the next one.

I finished the 50 Shades of Grey series a few weeks ago and haven't been able to get into anything else (except pregnancy books!!!)

I just started 50 Shades of Grey Saturday. I'm already on chapter 13 already and just ordered the other two books!

bellabri287 July 30th, 2012 06:51 PM

I failed... i have the last book but have not had the time/mindset to sit and read it. im gonna read it this weekend at the cabin, like that maters. :( im sorry!

im up for the next book, if we can get one available on kindle that would be great!