JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding and Supplementing (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f167-breastfeeding-and-supplementing/)
-   -   Why are YOU mix feeding? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f167-breastfeeding-and-supplementing/2599419-why-you-mix-feeding.html)

beck12 November 27th, 2012 06:33 AM

Why are YOU mix feeding?

Is it a choice that makes nursing more doable for you?

Is it something you feel you have to do due to low supply?

Do you want to mix feed or do you/did you want to exclusively nurse?

I supplemented my 1st when I was working & could not pump enough. When I was home with him I just nursed. Knowing what I know now, I never probably needed to supplement. It can just be really confusing when you are a new mom & there isn't much info about how many ounces they need, etc. Luckily for us though it went okay & we ended up making it all the way until he self weaned. So I pumped for around 14 months give or take (I am giving myself a bit of extra credit - I wasn't *really* pumping the first 6 weeks consistently because I was home - lol). At that point I weaned off day pumping, but continued to nurse in the evenings & all weekend.

With #2 I never supplemented, but I also was much more experienced & I was home.

krsnow January 3rd, 2013 10:36 PM

Re: Why are YOU mix feeding?

My biggest reason for mix feeding is to make life easier. I am nursing a 4 month old, and i also have an active 2 year old that needs lots of attention so there is rarely time to pump. If I do pump, I don't get enough milk to cover a full feeding, I am usually 2 oz short so I add formula. I am a SAHM, but occasionally I will have a relative babysit so I can run errands and this is when I use formula.

I also have a hard time with nursing in public. If I am alone with my baby then it's not a problem, but most of the time I have both kids with me, and I can't expect my 2 year old to sit in the stroller for a long time waiting for me to nurse. In these cases, I bring the travel bottles of enfamil ready to feed formula.

I have a good milk supply and for the most part we nurse full time. For those few times that we need to be out I am just not willing to make myself crazy with the pumping or trying to figure out how much milk to take out of the freezer the night before.

Jenknee January 10th, 2013 10:57 PM

I mix feed because my boobs don't want to work right!
I pump every 4-6 hours and whatever I have I mix with formula. So sometimes she gets all formula, or a mix of formula, or if I save it up, she gets all breastmilk!

rhiane2013 February 1st, 2013 01:32 AM

i mix feed coz my milk supply isnt enough to cover full feeding. believe it or not, i can only pump half an ounce on both breast that's why i supplement. sometimes baby refuses my breast. i dont know what the problem is but breastfeedingalone doesn't work well for me

SSGMama March 16th, 2013 10:56 PM

My husband is too involved of a father not to be able to feed his son in the middle of the night. We have a very interesting relationship where sterotypical gender roles don't apply. We work together as a team on everything, from raising our 12 year old, to our 8 week old. I attempted to pump and have BM on hand for him, but I was getting less and less milk each time I pumped and couldnt produce enough from pumping. So I nurse when ever hes hungry, but I still go out and have Mother Daughter time, grocery shop, or sleep in and if he is hungry in that time my husband give him a bottle. It frees us both up. At first I felt bad, but I've decided that its better for our son that we are stress free about it, That hes getting a majority of BM, and thats better than some kids. And that formula isnt poison, there are a great many kids who are raised on formula alone. Once I accepted that, I was a happy mommy spending quality time with a happy baby. :)

eve1989 March 11th, 2014 09:08 AM

I mixed feed because my left breast is inverted and LO isn't satisfied after BFing.