JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding Past One Year (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f344-breastfeeding-past-one-year/)
-   -   Handling criticism about breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f344-breastfeeding-past-one-year/1240132-handling-criticism-about-breastfeeding.html)

(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) September 17th, 2008 04:13 PM

I'm sure many of us have had it from time to time. This is very important to me so I'm making it a sticky. If you have tips or comments on how to help other breastfeeding mamas with criticism, by all means post it.

Handling criticism about breastfeeding <--- Click here!

Justmommies article <--- Click here!

LLL help with criticism

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twelvetwentyone (Post 19971939)

Quote:

The research is still evolving, however, and Stuebe is not sure we have found all of the reasons breastfeeding should be a no-brainer health choice when it is an option. "I think there are going to be many answers," she says. "It's like saying, 'How does exercising improve health?' It's the physiological norm."
How Breastfeeding Benefits Mothers' Health: Scientific American

JoshuasMommy922 September 17th, 2008 05:42 PM

Thats a great link!
Ive dealt alot with my In-Laws mostly giving me their less-than-educated opinion of bfing from day one. My DF supports me wholeheartedly in bfing, so that makes it easier to deal with them. My response is usually "Well things have changed tremendously since 20 years ago when you had kids, and this is the best thing for him. Not to be disrespectful, but being that he is our son, we are the ones to decide whats right for him." Smile, and thats it. They dont like it, but they dont have to. :smile:

AmyD October 7th, 2008 03:03 PM

Others: How long are you going to nurse him/her???
Me: Well, I figure he/she HAS to stop when they go to college.
Others: silence (aaah.)

Great article! Thank you!

pollypetal January 25th, 2009 01:40 PM

Thanks for the articles!
I'm 19, so because I breastfeed I barely ever go anywhere without Izzie, and havn't had my first 'legal' drink since i've been preg/bfing for so long, so some of my friends are always tell me I should stop breastfeeding her then I can go out or drink. Not that easy and I'm happy being a mum not out partying! I don't mind feeding at all now we're down to 3-4 feeds a day.Other then the fact I get teethmarks even though she's not biting me, ouch!
and people are always like.. Isn't it creepy feeding her when she is running around and has teeth and can say a few words .
:(

(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) January 25th, 2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the articles!
I'm 19, so because I breastfeed I barely ever go anywhere without Izzie, and havn't had my first 'legal' drink since i've been preg/bfing for so long, so some of my friends are always tell me I should stop breastfeeding her then I can go out or drink. Not that easy and I'm happy being a mum not out partying! I don't mind feeding at all now we're down to 3-4 feeds a day.Other then the fact I get teethmarks even though she's not biting me, ouch!
and people are always like.. Isn't it creepy feeding her when she is running around and has teeth and can say a few words .
:([/b]
:(

I'm sorry your friends don't understand. Hon, why not join a LLL or breastfeeding support group in your area? You might make some new contacts that can better support you. WTG for being a mature, responsible teen mom!

Cheers,

Michelle

(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) May 1st, 2009 08:16 AM

Re: Handling criticism about breastfeeding

LLL help with criticism

way2gomom May 29th, 2009 06:31 AM

These are a great help! We're just about to turn the 1 year corner, so I have been needing these!

(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) May 30th, 2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsliberty (Post 16002926)
These are a great help! We're just about to turn the 1 year corner, so I have been needing these!

That's great to hear! I can't wait to celebrate your one year milestones with you! I hope you like it here and come by often.

Cheers,

Michelle

Mountain~Mama April 27th, 2010 08:45 AM

The Motherwear Breastfeeding Blog: Book review and give away: Breastfeeding Facts for Fathers

(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) April 27th, 2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twelvetwentyone (Post 19971939)

Awesome!

Rebecca^ April 27th, 2010 01:46 PM

Everyone around me is really supportive but my MIL, during a trip back home recently noticed I was nursing him and said... "you are still nursing him?" and I said.... yep. That was that.

Great links!

(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) May 8th, 2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

The research is still evolving, however, and Stuebe is not sure we have found all of the reasons breastfeeding should be a no-brainer health choice when it is an option. "I think there are going to be many answers," she says. "It's like saying, 'How does exercising improve health?' It's the physiological norm."
How Breastfeeding Benefits Mothers' Health: Scientific American

mgm78 May 9th, 2010 01:48 PM

the mothering link did not work! :(

My answer when I just do not want to deal is

Them: "when will you stop nursing?"
Me: "I plan on nursing her FOREVER" :D :D

(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) May 9th, 2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgm78 (Post 20121231)
the mothering link did not work!

Thanks for the heads up. I took it out.

foxfire_ga79 December 27th, 2010 12:36 PM

I've had a couple people question why I'm still nursing Ivy "even though she's 1" now.
My answer is "the World Health Organization recommends BFing until the baby is 2 and since they are the experts it's their advice I'm going to follow." That has ended the conversation every single time, including with my psychiatrist who wanted me to wean so I could be put back on my regular medications. When someone questions me, I answer in a way that doesn't leave any room for argument. My decision is made and they won't get anywhere trying to get me to change my mind.

eve1989 February 19th, 2014 06:27 PM

I've read some comments in another forum that they found BFing disgusting. Well, I guess there will always be people who wouldn't understand. :( Regardless of that, I'm proud to be a mom and I don't care what other people will say about public BFing or BFing in general. :)