JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding Past One Year (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f344-breastfeeding-past-one-year/)
-   -   Self wean at 16 months? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f344-breastfeeding-past-one-year/2538844-self-wean-16-months.html)

nilla June 13th, 2012 06:51 PM

Self wean at 16 months?

Hi mamas! I haven't posted in here for awhile, but I was hoping you all could offer some feedback. My son is 16 months old and I want to let him self wean. I had thought this would mean nursing for quite some time past a year, but recently it is almost as if he is starting to wean himself. He was nursing at bedtime, when he woke up in the morning, and sometimes during the day (if he asked for milk). He hasn't asked for milk during the day for quite some time now, and he has stopped wanting to nurse at bedtime or in the morning. I offer him the breast, he'll latch on for a second (literally) and then pop off and not want anymore. Could he be weaning? Have you heard of babies weaning themselves so early (before 2)? I'll continue to let him lead the way, but any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

Jule'sMomInOR June 14th, 2012 11:21 AM

Re: Self wean at 16 months?

I have heard of a few who weaned at 11 months and 13 months. I think it's very rare but possible. I must admit I'm a bit jealous! My DD is going on 23 months and there is no way she will self-wean anytime soon. I would have love it if she would self-wean any day now. or at least taper down from the 15 times per day she wants to nurse.

pumpkinpie24 June 14th, 2012 12:30 PM

IIRC my niece self-weaned at 10 months.

mgm78 June 14th, 2012 04:54 PM

that is pretty young to self wean, but not unheard of. how long has this been going on? are you pregnant or have your period which could results in a drop in supply?

nilla June 15th, 2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jule'sMomInOR (Post 26164924)
I must admit I'm a bit jealous! My DD is going on 23 months and there is no way she will self-wean anytime soon. I would have love it if she would self-wean any day now. or at least taper down from the 15 times per day she wants to nurse.

If he is weaning, it is kind of bittersweet. I'm glad it'll be when he wants, but I'm not sure I'm ready yet! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgm78 (Post 26166443)
that is pretty young to self wean, but not unheard of. how long has this been going on? are you pregnant or have your period which could results in a drop in supply?

Just the last week or so. I'm not pregnant and it's about two weeks until my period. He is teething, so maybe that's it? He nursed a bit more last night before bed. Just when you think you have breastfeeding figured out... :)

mgm78 June 15th, 2012 11:51 AM

before i weaned DD, she would nurse maybe 5 minutes total the whole day, and other days 5 hours. ***? LOL. it may have just been too painful to nurse. teething sucks.

eve1989 February 24th, 2014 09:31 AM

My DD weaned by herself before 1 year. I didn't want to but I no matter what I did, she wouldn't BF anymore.