JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding Past One Year (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f344-breastfeeding-past-one-year/)
-   -   I feel guilty... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f344-breastfeeding-past-one-year/2600175-i-feel-guilty.html)

LuckyOne November 28th, 2012 10:24 PM

I feel guilty...

My daughter will be 2 in Feb and she still breastfeeds. I've really enjoyed breastfeeding her, but now I'm pregnant and for some reason the sensation of her breastfeeding drives me insane. I hate the feeling and it makes me want to wean my daughter. I feel so terribly guilty :( On the other hand, my OB wants me to wean her because I was having BH and I wasn't sure if it was related to not being hydrated enough and honestly, I think there are times I can feel my uterus contracting while she's breastfeeding. I'm only 26 weeks so the last thing I want is to go into labor early.

I'm trying to get her used to going down for the night or a nap without breastfeeding, but she hates it and cries and cries and cries. I give in because I know I've accustomed her to going to sleep after breastfeeding. Sometimes she does go down after getting her milk and then delatching. I feel guilty when I do it because I know ultimately this is leading to weaning which I think she was trying to do on her own but not as fast a rate as I'm trying to make it happen.

Anyway, I feel so guilty. And tonight her dad put her down for the night and she went to sleep with her little baby doll bottle in her hand which was the most darling thing ever, except clearly she knows/thinks bedtime means milk time even for her dolls!

Well, I just needed to get that off my chest and am open to any thoughts/ideas on the topic especially if anyone has ever been in the same boat.
P.s. I feel so guilty it makes me want to cry....hormones...:(

Fluga December 1st, 2012 01:08 PM

Re: I feel guilty...

There is a thing called breastfeeding agitation, more common with older nurselings and can also be during pregnancy. I think there is a mention of it in the book 'adventures in tandem nursing'. As for the BH do they only come during nursing? Do they continue for a while afterwards? I think I also read in the book I mentioned that some women cramp all through pregnancy when nursing.

LuckyOne December 4th, 2012 10:39 PM

So I'm not crazy! This is good! :lol:
Well, she is slowly weaning herself. She no longer needs my nipple in her mouth to go to sleep which is excellent. On the flip side, I got the flu and I have let her breastfeed more than usual and it seems to have worked. She got sick but not full blown like me or the rest of our family.
The BH's are sometimes during/after breastfeeding but I also get them at random times throughout the day.

mgm78 December 11th, 2012 05:38 AM

do not feel guilty!

stargatemommy January 2nd, 2013 10:13 AM

I have been feeling similar. except that my milk dried up and my son stopped nursing. It has been super hard on him, and me.

andi2284 February 2nd, 2013 07:26 PM

You are NOT crazy! I breastfed while I was pregnant twice, and felt the nursing agitation both times. With my first, I managed to make it through the pregnancy by limiting nursings, having my husband help a lot, etc. With my second, it ultimately led to weaning. I didn't actually wean her, but it was hard not to react to that feeling and I think that caused her to stop wanting to nurse along with my milk drying up.

I do want to offer :hugs: because I still remember well how hard that was, with both pregnancies. Between weaning already being an emotional thing and being hormonal, it's very hard.

I realize now this was posted a few months ago, how are things now?

eva_luvs_dave February 19th, 2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andi2284 (Post 27046994)
You are NOT crazy! I breastfed while I was pregnant twice, and felt the nursing agitation both times. With my first, I managed to make it through the pregnancy by limiting nursings, having my husband help a lot, etc. With my second, it ultimately led to weaning. I didn't actually wean her, but it was hard not to react to that feeling and I think that caused her to stop wanting to nurse along with my milk drying up.

I do want to offer :hugs: because I still remember well how hard that was, with both pregnancies. Between weaning already being an emotional thing and being hormonal, it's very hard.

I realize now this was posted a few months ago, how are things now?

This is me to a T! I didn't know what it was called but I have just been saying it's irritating. :mellow: I'm not sore but during...it just irritates me :rolleyes:

eve1989 February 21st, 2014 07:32 AM

It must be really difficult for you. I wish I could've answered during the time you have posted this, so I can help you feel better. Hope the weaning came out good.
Hugs. :)