JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Struggling with BMs (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/2239453-struggling-bms.html)

BigGrin February 4th, 2011 09:56 AM

Struggling with BMs

My LO has been nursing like a champ but really struggles to have bowel movements. She strains, wriggles, grunts and even cries out in pain for about an hour before finally passing her BM. She is not constipated because she has the loose, mustard yellow stool of a breastfed baby.

I hate seeing her suffer like this and wonder if it is normal for her to struggle so much? Is there anything I can do to make it easier on her? She is on zantac for reflux and I give Gripe water when she gets real gassy.

mgm78 February 4th, 2011 11:18 AM

Re: Struggling with BMs

My DD had something called "grunting baby syndrome" where for the first couple months she seemed to really struggle and grunt and push a lot. It is just the baby trying to coordinate the muscles-- you have to relax some and tighten others, and some babies have a harder time than others and they grunt and try a lot. Maybe this is all it is?

QueenCrafty February 4th, 2011 02:16 PM

Stomach upset is one of the side effects of Zantac, but that's also an effect from the reflux. Is it helping with her pain? If not, you may want to look at a different prescription. We had good luck with prevacid but I also had to give her gripe water throughout the day for a few months.

BigGrin February 6th, 2011 04:30 PM

I looked up grunting baby syndrome and I definitely think that is what we are dealing with. Once she has her BM she immediately goes to sleep with relief.

Her zantac helped immensely with her reflux. I can change her without her screaming as if she is dying and she will let me put her down for tummy time and such.

mgm78 February 6th, 2011 05:12 PM

Yeah, DD grunted 24/7 for like the first 6-8 weeks I think! It went on for a while. She even did it in her sleep.

~Kris~ February 6th, 2011 06:50 PM

My daughter started to have some problems pooping and she was really uncomfy and farting up a storm. She would wake up from naps crying in pain, but as soon as she'd poop she was soooooo much better. If she goes more than 36 hours without pooping, we give her a 3-4 oz bottle of BM to get more substance in her and hopefully get her to poop. Most of the time it works, but a couple of times it hasn't. If she goes 48 hours without pooping then we gave her an oz or 2 of juice with some water and that has done the trick. If she was content without pooping, I wouldn't do it, but I felt so bad when she was uncomfy.

Tobi Bateman February 12th, 2011 05:46 PM

We're going through the same thing and his pediatrician said basically the same thing. He's just still learning how to go. She said some babies will go after every feeding and others will go a week without then have one massive poop (Jacob's last one completely filled 2 diapers in about 15 minutes).

I actually haven't been so worried about the infrequency of it, but more because at times he'll go a day and a half screaming and writhing almost constantly because of the discomfort. I asked his pediatrician about suppositories (we had tried them a couple times and they did work within a few hours) and she said if he gets acting that uncomfortable, wait another day then it's okay to give him one.

BigGrin February 13th, 2011 12:11 PM

She goes constantly, almost after every feeding, so I know it's not constipation. She just really struggles to have a BM. Strangely enough she only behaves this way in the early morning hours, she'll squirm, fuss and basically be miserable until she passes stool.