JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Any IBCLCers? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/2642674-any-ibclcers.html)

ratladee April 12th, 2013 07:11 AM

Any IBCLCers?

I've got 3 classes left to finish my prereqs. I will be applying next summer doing pathway #2 at UCSD in california, and I'll be doing it online.

Idk if y'all remember me, but since I had my son 7 weeks ago I've been bfing again! I used to come here because I had such a terrible supply with my baby girl born in Dec 11. Well now it's the complete opposite. I'm a milk machine! I have between 700-800 oz of BM stored up this time. Guess placenta smoothies really did work!

So that's me and my update. Looking for anyone who has gone through the IBCLC process. :)

mgm78 April 13th, 2013 03:43 AM

Re: Any IBCLCers?

good luck!

ThaiSpice April 13th, 2013 06:53 AM

I haven't, but I think that is completely awesome! Good luck to you! And glad things are going so well with BF this time!

Fluga April 15th, 2013 12:36 PM

Nope I havent, it still remains my dream job. Not sure if it is worth it to go through it for other reason than personal enjoyment/enlightenment. IBCLC is a pretty unknown species around here.

ratladee April 17th, 2013 09:28 AM

I see it as worth it. It doesn't cost that much as far as degrees or certificates go and a starting salary of 50k a year is pretty nice to me! :) I pretty much had most of my pre reqs done since I did general ed classes in high school, and then I went through the lab tech program which got me most of my health sciences degree (just one more math class!) and since I work in a hospital all those little continuing education classes are knocked out and done with. So when I finish bio and human anatomy and physiology I can enroll in summer, start in September, finish in June and Test by July. Easy Peasy. And since I am in the military the post 9 11 bill will pay for my school and living expenses so I can go full time. It's a pretty sweet deal all around. Go for it if you can! The certificate program at UCSD is only 3 grand or something so.

Kelllilee May 30th, 2013 06:22 PM

I should be ready to take the exam next summer!! I have everything done except 2 or three education requirements which I should get done in fall and winter quarters.

ThaiSpice May 30th, 2013 06:30 PM

Good for you! :onethumbup:

bryan and nina June 4th, 2013 06:12 AM

I'm actually looking into starting this!! How neat that i stumbled on this thread. :)
It's a bit overwhelming to me since I'm not clear on exactly what I need to do first. I have some college credit but no degree yet. I have psych courses as well as an early childhood ed course that I think will count towards the 8 (or is it 14?) classes that you need to take for pathway 2. So should I finish all those up first and then you apply for the ibclc course? Can you find that online? I kept hitting dead ends with that...
Good luck to you!! :)

ThaiSpice June 4th, 2013 07:10 AM

Good for you, and good luck!

juleeannk June 17th, 2013 07:00 AM

I sit for the exam in July!