JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Overall BF questions and brewers yeast (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/2656422-overall-bf-questions-and-brewers-yeast.html)

ninja_mommy June 5th, 2013 05:41 PM

Overall BF questions and brewers yeast

First question, any good brands recommended for brewers yeast? I want to make some lactation cookies/bars when this LO gets here. I've only looked so far on amazon and even the debittered stuff had bad reviews. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good brand or do you think the tablets would just be a better way to go? I haven't checked locally anywhere, I'm sure there are some sources to find it but we just moved here and still getting used to the island.

Also, what things helped you increase milk supply while BF? When I tried to nurse DD things didn't work out so well. There were several factors there that may have played a role in the failure. DH had just deployed while I was 37 weeks, stress was most likely an issue. I had trouble getting her to latch and she was a lazy eater. (had to strip her down to diaper and rub her body to keep her awake.) In the hospital I was EBF and a day after she was born she was slightly jaundiced and hadn't had a wet diaper in several hours. (though the thing that they gave me in the hospital said x amount of wet diapers per day as how old they are.) So, they did kind of make it seem like supplementing was the only option. (I know better know.) I pumped in the hospital and I pumped at home. I pumped for about 3-4 weeks after she was born and I would get literally drops to come out. I nursed her what I think was every hour but she still appeared to be hungry, so I would supplement a small amount. Then I gave up at one month because it was too stressful and I was alone with no help.
I tried drinking tons of mother's milk tea, ate plenty, drank tons of water, got help for latching and different holds. I really want to BF at least a year this time around. Any suggestions or tips for increasing supply if that happens this time around? TIA ladies :)

ThaiSpice June 5th, 2013 07:49 PM

First: I got Brewers yeast at GNC, if you have one (or online). It was Now brand, reduced bitterness. I wanted powder form so I could bake with it. I would recommend starting with a little bit and working up to more--I had some stomach upset at first. But it was the supplement that helped me the most. I only ever used it in the lactation cookies though, so it may have been the brewers yeast/oatmeal/flaxseed combo. I didn't love the flavor, but it wasn't bad.

Second: stress can really do a number on supply. Reducing stress can go a LONG way toward helping supply. Other thoughts:

Drink enough water, get enough sleep and enough calories.

Nurse as much as possible. The only indicators of baby not getting enough are number of wet/dirty diapers and weight gain. Too often doctors recommend supplementing too early, IMO. There are studies out there showing that breast fed babies will have higher bilirubin than formula fed babies, but that in most cases it will resolve without any intervention other than BF on demand and exposure to sunlight. Also, you can't go by baby's fussiness or how often they want to nurse, lack of fullness/letdown sensation, or amount pumped to tell if baby is getting enough. Truly the only indicators are weight gain (at their own pace...it can take BF babies 2-3 weeks to regain to birth weight), and wet/dirty diapers. Sorry for the "rant"...you likely know that stuff. It just seems like pediatricians often don't.

Other than frequent nursing, water, nutrition, rest, stress reduction, etc, something that has really helped me is learning how to hand express really well. I can post a link to a good explanation later, but that really helps me. I actually get a better letdown from that than from the pump, and it's more comfortable for me (though I do still pump, too). I always hand express after pumping, and can get 0.5-1 extra ounce beyond what I pump.

Have you watched Jack Newman's videos on latching? I highly recommend them, and his website--lots of great info. Also kellymom.com if you haven't been there yet.

And there are lists of food/supplements you can find by googling...oatmeal and brewers yeast helped me most, and fenugreek was so so for me.

Any other specific questions, ask away, and good luck!

mgm78 June 6th, 2013 04:59 AM

Re: Overall BF questions and brewers yeast

lots of good advice already given :D even debittered brewers year was nasty, imo. You can try a dark beer if you drink beer (like guiness). Old fashioned or steel cut oats and WATER! they say to aim for 1 ounce for every pound you weigh. So if you weigh 140lbs, 140oz/day, if you weigh 180lbs, 180oz a day. This is A LOT of water, so aim as high as you can.

ninja_mommy June 6th, 2013 02:04 PM

Thanks ladies. I'm really determined to make it work this time!

ThaiSpice June 6th, 2013 04:08 PM

Definitely make yourself at home, and good luck! So glad to see you are preggo, Btw...congrats!

juleeannk June 17th, 2013 08:27 AM

As a lactation consultant, I would suggest seeing one. Have you taken a breastfeeding class with one yet?

Repti.Mom June 17th, 2013 03:06 PM

I would rather eat a nasty cookie and drown myself in water than drink even 1 guiness LOL

Good luck with new baby :)