JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Question about getting started (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/2663783-question-about-getting-started.html)

Orangebrittainy July 5th, 2013 03:06 PM

Question about getting started

When you started Breast Feeding for the first time how long did it take before it became routine? I am thinking of asking friends and family to wait to visit until I have had some time to adjust to breast feeding, but I feel like unless I enforce a date, that it won't do me any good and there will be plenty of people at the door.

ThaiSpice July 5th, 2013 03:19 PM

Re: Question about getting started

Maybe six weeks...by then, it seems like things most things were going pretty well. Getting through the three- and six-week growth spurts would be good, too...those can be exhausting with the very frequent nursing.

mgm78 July 6th, 2013 03:19 AM

a couple weeks? i had no qualms about nursing in front of anyone, if they did not like it they could leave. baby's gotta be fed :D

Pretty Crispy July 6th, 2013 04:23 AM

^ ditto

In the beginning I would latch ds in the other room and then come back and sit with everyone while he nursed. Now I just latch him wherever I am.

It became routine pretty quick because ds is a very good nurser. I'd say by 2 weeks we were comfortable with most positions. I couldn't imagine asking anyone to wait that long to meet baby though. Most people are pretty understanding that its all new to you and baby and give you space. If not, speak up

cameronzmom July 10th, 2013 05:52 AM

If I asked family to wait 4-6 weeks to meet my baby, they'd all boycott me! ha!

I'm comfortable nursing in front of others with a blanket layed against baby/me, NOT covering him/her. If someone doesn't want to look, they can leave the room. nursing is natural and most people would understand if in the first few weeks you moved to a different room to nurse then came back.

juleeannk July 10th, 2013 06:44 AM

Yes I agree, if they were coming to my house they had to deal with seeing my boobs or they could leave. I was not going to hide in my house to breastfeed in private, but that's me. What you should do and say will depend on how you feel and how comfortable you feel with people possibly seeing your breasts. As far as routine, usually it took a couple of weeks for me to get into a routine and then by 4-6 weeks I was a pro at breastfeeding.

Fluga July 11th, 2013 01:26 AM

I felt bit clumsy with breastfeeding the first week. It took 4 weeks before DD1 would have awake time and not want to be feeding.

Maybe instead of trying to pick a time limit you should think of who you would be comfortable breastfeeding around and also what kind of visiting schedule would be ok. Maybe letting the grandmas/closest relatives visit the first week once or twice and the second week someone else.