JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Ouch (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/2664388-ouch.html)

TeresaMomTo2Boys July 8th, 2013 03:14 PM

Ouch

My nipples hurt. Lately I've been pumping after each nursing session but only on one side because my LO eats for 20-30minutes and I can never get more than .25oz on the side that he ate on. Anyways, today he was napping so I pumped on both sides and no my nipples are purple. They are purple after he eats and Dr says it's because he's sucking too hard. I had my pump on low because it as painful. I never had any issue before just pumping on one side.

mgm78 July 9th, 2013 03:59 AM

Re: Ouch

yes, do not overpump or pump too high! are they white or just purple?

juleeannk July 9th, 2013 05:45 AM

The baby cannot suck too hard but he can have an incorrect latch that will cause the pain. Pumping should not hurt either, so I would suggest getting fit properly for flanges. Some LC's are not as familiar with fitting, so make sure your LC has been trained in proper fittings. Does the nipple look like it looses color and if so, is it more painful during that time? Does your nipple and areola area look "glassy" or "glossy"? What about inside the baby's mouth? Any white spots that cannot be rubbed off?

TeresaMomTo2Boys July 9th, 2013 01:46 PM

He doesn't have thrush and they are only purple after pumping or after he's done nursing but I know one issue is he pulls or twists his head while nursing sometimes.
My Dr says it's just because he's constantly sucking on it causing it to look like a bruised nipple or hickey. It doesn't stay purple...,it goes away minutes after he's done nursing or im done pumping

mgm78 July 10th, 2013 03:37 AM

I would check the flanges and lower the suction on the pump. I know it is tempting to jack it up but sometimes at a lower suction rate, you will get more.

-erin- July 10th, 2013 06:36 AM

When I was pumping at work, I put lanolin on after each time to help with soreness. Maybe that would help?

juleeannk July 10th, 2013 06:40 AM

I'm not trying to knock your doctor or anything, he means well, but that is untrue. Most doctors know little if nothing about breastfeeding. It's not something that they are required to learn about in school and the little information they receive is so outdated(we're talking like 20 or 30 years). It sounds like the baby is causing nipple trauma because there is something going on with the latch, or even possibly an undiagnosed or missed tongue or lip tie. For some reason the nipple is being compressed by the tongue but it should be at the roof of the mouth. Does that make sense? I know it's so frustrating, especially when you receive conflicting information about breastfeeding. Hang in there and let me know if you want a good recommendation on a Lactation Consultant for your area.

TeresaMomTo2Boys July 10th, 2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juleeannk (Post 27509555)
I'm not trying to knock your doctor or anything, he means well, but that is untrue. Most doctors know little if nothing about breastfeeding. It's not something that they are required to learn about in school and the little information they receive is so outdated(we're talking like 20 or 30 years). It sounds like the baby is causing nipple trauma because there is something going on with the latch, or even possibly an undiagnosed or missed tongue or lip tie. For some reason the nipple is being compressed by the tongue but it should be at the roof of the mouth. Does that make sense? I know it's so frustrating, especially when you receive conflicting information about breastfeeding. Hang in there and let me know if you want a good recommendation on a Lactation Consultant for your area.

I would love one but maybe one that works with Aetna because my insurance said I get 2 free LC sessions yet I got billed over $150 for one at 88 days postpartum saying it's not covered by insurance. I'm in Lewisville, Tx.
The pediatrician and 3 LC at hospital found no tongue tie and pedi isn't worried about a lip tie until his teeth come in.
I've been using a shield and that helps but lately he hasn't wanted the shield.

juleeannk July 11th, 2013 06:24 AM

If there is a lip tie, it will have negative consequences on breastfeeding. Alot of pediatricians do not know that so that may be the reason they are saying they aren't worried about it until the teeth come in. If you want some resource and information to show your doctor, I can send that to you, and I will also ask for a LC in your area who bills with Aetna and get back to you.

All evidence based information

juleeannk July 11th, 2013 08:32 AM

Judy Eastburn (jeastburn@grandecom.net). She is an IBCLC in the Dallas area, not sure how close that would be to you but if it's not, she would know who to refer you to.

TeresaMomTo2Boys July 13th, 2013 08:01 PM

Thank you I will contact her

TeresaMomTo2Boys July 15th, 2013 08:08 AM

That email didn't work. It was sent back undeliverable