JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/)
-   -   AF while BFing (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/2664802-af-while-bfing.html)

DaniM0820 July 10th, 2013 10:40 AM

AF while BFing

Hi ladies! :waves:

I haven't written on this board before, but I am so confused right now and was hoping for some insight!

My son is 10 months old and I am still BFing and pumping while at work. My first PP AF started when we introduced solids and appears to be coming more regularly each cycle. Before baby, I was diagnosed with PCOS and needed Clomid to get pregnant, so regularity at all is a shock to me. Last cycle I know I definitely O'd because I felt it for the first time ever, then 2 weeks later AF started and was super heavy. My anovulatory cycles were always much lighter and didn't last as long.

This cycle, I think I O'd 6/23, and then I have been spotting on and off since then. I thought AF was starting on Monday 7/8 because the spotting picked up, but (tmi) the tampon only had brown and red blood on one side in more of a streak. Tuesday I thought would definitely be the day because I wiped some bright red blood, but then my tampons after that only have mostly brown blood and I'm not wiping much of anything now. It seems like it's in between spotting and a light flow...

Is this wonkiness normal for still BFing, even though I've already had about 3-4 PP AFs? I have never spotted like this before either, so it's really throwing me off! I took a $tree hpt on Monday PM but only got an evap line. We DTD right in line with my suspected O day, but I can't imagine pregnancy is even possible with all of this spotting.

mgm78 July 10th, 2013 03:02 PM

Re: AF while BFing

yeah your cycles can be pretty wonky while nursing, especially while breastmilk is the bulk of their diet at that age. But good that you took a test because it is always possible ;)

Fluga July 11th, 2013 02:11 AM

My cycles were so crazy after my first, I took pregnancy tests all the time because I'd get all kinds of symptoms. As a matter of fact the time I actually did get pregnant I was so fed up with spending money on the tests that I was like screw it, it's a negative this time too. I only tested because of a new symptom of my breasts hurting when I lifted my hands above my head.

ThaiSpice July 11th, 2013 12:06 PM

Agree...yes, your cycles can be very wonky while breastfeeding. But it is certainly possible to get pregnant. If you're ovulating, it's a possibility.

DaniM0820 July 11th, 2013 06:54 PM

Still bleeding on and off but negative hpts. Think I'll call my gyno tomorrow or Monday because 3 weeks if spotting can't be normal.. And opk yesterday was almost positive, but today much lighter.