JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Pregnant again and Q's about nursing (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/2665649-pregnant-again-and-qs-about-nursing.html)

one.juniper July 14th, 2013 05:24 PM

Pregnant again and Q's about nursing

Hi ladies,

I just got a BFP and my son is two weeks shy of 1-year and is still nursing about 4 times a day. I wasn't planning on getting pregnant again so soon and was keen to let him wean at his own pace but I'm not sure how I feel about tandem nursing. However, it was my goal to be down to just bedtime and breakfast nursing sessions by 18 months.

I guess I have two questions,

1) I've noticed a dip in my supply and he's been waking up at night to nurse - which I think is related. I know that's normal. I'm just wondering if it will rebound or if this will be somewhat of a struggle throughout the entire pregnancy?

2) To those who have or are tandem nursing.. I guess what do you think of it? Is it hard? Oz will be 20 months when the new baby is due.

I know its still a while off to worry about it, but I don't really enjoy thinking about the prospect of weaning him before the baby comes, though I know lots of moms do it. :(

ThaiSpice July 15th, 2013 06:11 AM

Re: Pregnant again and Q's about nursing

First of all, congrats! :D

For the first question, I don't know for sure because I haven't been through it, but I would think that if you continued to nurse him throughout the pregnancy, your supply would regulate. Or maybe he will adjust by eating more during the day. Either way, I hope he goes back to sleeping all night!

And I am not tandum nursing, really, but my 3.5 year old does occasionally ask to nurse now that I have a new baby (she weaned about a year ago). I don't have a problem with it, really...I think she does it more for comfort/attention than anything else. My sister's kids are 21 months apart, and she tandem nursed them for a while with no problems.

Fluga July 21st, 2013 02:42 PM

I've been tandem nursing for just over 2 years. For us it was definatly the right decision. Nursing is still very important to my older one. The first 6 months were tough on me physically, mostly as I didnt get very thirsty and never seemed to figure to drink enough (having and early summer baby doesnt help either). Sometimes I have felt touched out but my older was big enough when little sister was born to at least accept when I told her I needed a break.

I have two friends who tandem nurse and they have been pretty positive about it too. Neither of them found it as hard physically as I did in the first months, maybe that's just me.

I think the best perk is that you still have the magic solution that nursing a toddler is at your fingertips. It cures tantrums, owwies and minimizes sibling rivalry.

mgm78 July 22nd, 2013 03:40 AM

I think everyone's supply reacts differently to pregnancy. I would keep offering and see how it goes. I have a handful of friends who nursed through their pregnancy with no issue and once the baby was born, the toddler knew that baby gets first dibs, but all continued to nurse. Congrats on your BFP!

JillyP July 25th, 2013 04:14 PM

You and i are in a similar boat. :) I am intending to nurse my 8 month old right through this pregnancy and would also like to try tandem nursing.
So far my supply seems to be hanging on. I did notice a slight drop too, but i also attribute that to not meeting my doubled calorie and fluid needs. How are you doing with that? I have been so incredibly exhausted! This is unlike any pregnancy when i wasn't still nursing.
Also, my understanding is that our milk will turn back to colostrum at some point mid-pregnancy. To be honest, this is the time i am still a little concerned about. I would love to hear the experenced moms' input on how their babies handled that drastic change particularly.

one.juniper August 4th, 2013 08:16 AM

I am so tired too!! And I'm having trouble sleeping at night which isn't helping. My LO was waking up at 2:30am to feed since I got pregnant and now he's stopped but my breasts are full and I can't sleep now. Hopefully my supply regulates that out soon jeez!

I was curious about the whole colostrum thing as well! Anyone who can give any info on that, I'd appreciate it.

I also wondering if I'll have bad engorgement again when the baby is born, or not and if my supply will regulate faster this time around since I'm already nursing. That would be really nice!