JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/)
-   -   When did you or do you plan to stop nursing to sleep? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/2674219-when-did-you-do-you-plan-to-stop-nursing-to-sleep.html)

Rachel August 22nd, 2013 03:02 PM

When did you or do you plan to stop nursing to sleep?

Keelan has been falling asleep without nursing a few times here and there, but mostly he nurses when he needs to fall asleep, either naps or bedtime. When did you stop? Or when do you plan to stop?

Did your sleep improve when you stopped? If your little one woke in the middle of the night, did you nurse? If not, what do/did you do?

angelsailor288 August 22nd, 2013 06:47 PM

Re: When did you or do you plan to stop nursing to sleep?

Ummmm I wanted to stop like a year ago but theres no end in sight lol

ZoeChloeMommy August 22nd, 2013 09:28 PM

I never planned to be the only way she would fall asleep. There have been several times she has just cuddled up and fallen asleep. She still wakes up, usually only when cutting teeth, to nurse. I don't really notice since she's in my bed.

This is one thing I'd like to put an end to. Lets just cuddle and go to sleep.

mgm78 August 23rd, 2013 03:55 AM

we stopped nursing to sleep and only to sleepy first and that right there improved her sleep tremendously, then about 10 months later we night weaned. She was 22 months and 31 months respectively. For stopping nursing to sleep, we would read books, nurse until sleepy, read one last book, then go to sleep, instead of nursing until she was ASLEEP.

MapleGranola August 23rd, 2013 08:18 AM

I will nurse to sleep until he wants to stop. He doesn't always nurse to sleep though. Usually he nurses, plays for 15 minutes or so, and then we cuddle to sleep.

mgm78 August 23rd, 2013 01:20 PM

I had to stop nursing her to sleep because she was waking 6-10+ times a night and i went back to work 5weeks PP and was about to lose my mind after we went over a year like that.

angelsailor288 August 26th, 2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgm78 (Post 27608332)
I had to stop nursing her to sleep because she was waking 6-10+ times a night and i went back to work 5weeks PP and was about to lose my mind after we went over a year like that.

Thats where I am at. Hes up like 10 times a night to nurse and Im just done and over it. Im exhausted and it makes me miserable. I dont know what to do

mgm78 August 27th, 2013 04:06 AM

I used the Pantley Pull Off method from the No Cry Sleep Solution. that book really helped us.

ZoeChloeMommy August 27th, 2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgm78 (Post 27614951)
I used the Pantley Pull Off method from the No Cry Sleep Solution. that book really helped us.

All I hear is success stories from this book. It didn't work for us & I'm not sure why :-(

joonzgurl September 1st, 2013 06:50 AM

I nursed Avery to sleep until she was about 1. At that point, I would nurse her on the couch right before bedtime and then her daddy would take her in the bedroom, read stories, and rock her to sleep in the rocking chair.

On days when he wasn't around, I would nurse on the couch and then do the same. we are at the point now where we read stories in bed and then lay together/cuddle until she goes to sleep.

In terms of at night, we night weaned at 16 months. Avery was sleeping in her own room on a queen sized mattress, and we would cosleep from the point she woke up (usually right when I went to bed or shortly after) until morning. At first when we night weaned we sent daddy in for a few days instead of me. It went pretty well and her sleep improved dramatically right away. Once it was me again she did expect to nurse and did get upset but it didn't last long.

We had prepared her for that using "nursies when the sunshine" books and just reminding her constantly that "num nums are for day time".

Also reminding her before bed "when you wake up tonight, daddy is going to come to you. We don't nurse at night time anymore".

alittlelost September 8th, 2013 05:47 AM

I will nurse until baby weans :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner