JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Cracked :( (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/2684666-cracked.html)

alittlelost October 9th, 2013 01:12 PM

Cracked :(

I thought our thrush had come back, but nope, the real culprit this time is my right nipple is completely split open on the underside. Hopefully I can find my nipple shield for the meantime because the pain is horrible and that's her preferred nursing side and the side I produce most on Any tips to speed up healing? Thanks in advance.

mgm78 October 9th, 2013 02:59 PM

Re: Cracked :(

put some neosporin on it and wipe off prior to feeding then reapply. If you can get a script for All Purpose Nipple Ointment, that is even better for healing!

alittlelost October 9th, 2013 04:35 PM

I have mupirocin for a thing Isabel has. i can get the other ingredients OTC. I doubt I can get a prescription for the blend though because I don't have insurance :( Unless a pedi can write it for the baby, but I doubt it. It's probably a lot like how I can't see an LC. I'll try neosporin, though, in the meantime! Thanks!

-erin- October 9th, 2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgm78 (Post 27715526)
put some neosporin on it and wipe off prior to feeding then reapply. If you can get a script for All Purpose Nipple Ointment, that is even better for healing!

Yes! My lc mixed me some apno when Zachary was a week old and it was wonderful. My nipples were super cracked and bleeding.

mgm78 October 10th, 2013 04:37 AM

my insurance did not cover the ointment and i paid out of pocket but i think you can mix it on your own.

juleeannk October 10th, 2013 05:37 AM

Moist wound care will help for healing. Cracked nipples are breeding grounds for infection so if it doesn't heal quickly, it may be infected.

alittlelost October 10th, 2013 07:37 AM

What is moist wound care?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Rachel October 10th, 2013 08:47 AM

Been there, unfortunately.

Try putting breast milk on it. also coconut oil, and you don't have to wipe it off. it smells nice and is soothing.

alittlelost October 10th, 2013 07:45 PM

Yes, I was using coconut oil -- I use it for everything!

So, basically today what I did was try not nurse from that side as much as possible and pump whenever I needed on that side (because pumping doesn't hurt it for some reason). And the rest of the time I put on mupirocin, nystatin, neopsporin, and earth mama angel baby natural nipple butter. I nursed her once on that side later in the day and it didn't hurt! I think it's healing. Will do this again for a day or two and hopefully that fixes it for good.

mgm78 October 11th, 2013 04:19 AM

yay! it is getting better :)

Rachel October 11th, 2013 12:39 PM

That's great! Mine took several months to heal because his little tooth would hit it each time her nursed and break it open again.

alittlelost October 12th, 2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel (Post 27720591)
That's great! Mine took several months to heal because his little tooth would hit it each time her nursed and break it open again.

You are amazing to power through that!