JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Nursing tips to nurse until the baby is about a year? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/2688032-nursing-tips-to-nurse-until-baby-about-year.html)

moxiemommie October 24th, 2013 12:55 PM

Nursing tips to nurse until the baby is about a year?

Hi guys! I wanted to post here because Im in need of nursing tips, or tips to prepare for nursing. Im NOT nursing right now, but I did just find out we are pregnant with our third, Im Almost 8 weeks. Anyways My first ended up not latching on and I pumped for about three months until I dried up. With my second, I nursed full time up until 8 weeks. :tmi: but I had to stop because my breasts hurt SO bad! My nipples were raw and bleeding, sometimes I couldnt wear a bra or even a shirt (than goodness my first was still little so he had no idea) It was just awful. After those 8 weeks I rotated between nursing and bottle, which he was fine with, but they ended up getting so sore, even then, that I just decided to pump, and supplement with formula, but eventually when he was about 5 months I went dry. This time around, I REALLY want to be able to nurse until the baby is about 8mos-1yr. But I would be happy with 8 mos. Is there any tips that can help me "prepare" for nursing? Any tricks so they wont be as sore or bleed this time around? I really appreciate any advice.

Rachel October 24th, 2013 04:32 PM

Re: Nursing tips to nurse until the baby is about a year?

Meet with a lactation consultant now. If you had sore and bleeding nipples, there was a problem with your latch or your little one was tongue or lip tied. I would make sure those things are not an issue right now. Get into a breastfeeding support group. Your hospital may have one, but if not reach out to the local LLL group leader.

And I recommend the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding to read now. I could not have nursed as long as I have if I had not read that book while pregnant.

You can totally get to a year and beyond! You just need the right support!

mgm78 October 25th, 2013 04:14 AM

yes, meet with an LC now or go to La Leche meetings (ours have 4 meetings, one a month for a complete series) and from there, when baby comes, you will already have a support system for when baby comes. Definitely sounds like it was a latch issue so getting professional help to correct the latch early on will prevent problems that will prevent you from nursing.

-erin- October 25th, 2013 06:12 AM

ditto find someone who will be able to offer hands on help with latching. My DDs latch was bad and I toughed it out for months until she got bigger and it was a bit better. With my son, I saw a LC at 1 week and she helped me get his latch better and nursing him has been so much easier and pleasant.

juleeannk October 29th, 2013 05:54 AM

My best advice is not to suffer. If you experience any pain, seek help right away to remedy the situation the fastest.