JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Do you eat oatmeal? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/2693246-do-you-eat-oatmeal.html)

mgm78 November 19th, 2013 04:17 AM

Do you eat oatmeal?

Did you know eating oatmeal (old fashioned and steel cut, not instant) can increase milk production? when i was nursing i think i ate oatmeal every single day! LOL. Do you eat oatmeal? if so what kind? (steel cut or old fashioned) and how do you prepare it?

I usually just cooked it on the stove with cinnamon, raisins and maple syrup.

ThaiSpice November 19th, 2013 07:10 AM

Re: Do you eat oatmeal?

I wish I liked oatmeal, but I do not. Not cooked, anyway. In the first few months I did try to eat it (dry OR baked into cookes/granola bars, etc), and I do think it helps. When I started struggling with supply with #1, I started eating more oatmeal, and I do think it helped. I haven't eaten any recently, though.

Maenfayne November 19th, 2013 07:41 AM

I eat it almost every day. Old fashioned oats with raisins, brown sugar, and a bit of milk. I also LOVE fresh blackberries added into it.

Rachel November 19th, 2013 08:43 AM

I am not a huge oatmeal fan. I like oatmeal cookies though.

Sugaree November 19th, 2013 01:45 PM

I keep a great big cannister of old-fashioned oatmeal in my cabinet at work and a bag of steel-cut at home. I usually just eat it plain or mix it with something like cinammon, peaches, or peanut butter.

eve1989 March 6th, 2014 05:05 AM

I prefer old fashioned oatmeal with a bit of sugar and milk. yum!

ashashrio April 7th, 2014 03:18 AM

At first I don't but after tasting it with milk and added sugar, I became a fan of it! I prefer the instant one since it doesn't take time to cook, just a couple of minutes and I'm able to eat. I just learned lately that it does increase breast milk production so it's a good thing.

Keakie April 7th, 2014 06:42 AM

I eat old fashioned oatmeal probably 4-5 times per week and have since I was pregnant. I wonder if that had anything to do with my milk oversupply. :lol:

I cook it on the stove and add cinnamon and a little brown sugar (or maple syrup if we have it).

kourtkohler April 13th, 2015 05:27 AM

Yes, I cook steel cut with almond milk and make 4 batches at a time. Then add spices and fruit when I reheat it.

rosie7 April 15th, 2015 04:36 AM

I love oatmeal but didn't know that increases milk production.
I normally cook it with some milk and top it with fresh fruits like blueberries or cut bananas and add some cinnamon.

Tindra April 20th, 2015 02:05 AM

I prefer old fashioned oatmeal , I also like oatmeal cookies though.

BlueMoon82 May 4th, 2015 12:55 PM

I ever ate oatmeal, I don't like it. I never had an issue with under-supply, usually the opposite (over supply with over active letdown) so no harm, no foul.

I nursed my first nursling a few months, my second until he was 3, third until she self-weaned at 4 1/2, and my youngest until he self weaned about a year ago at 2 1/2.

butterfly1 May 5th, 2015 02:23 AM

I know that oatmeal tremendously increases your milk production. If you are having issues with not producing enough then eat oatmeal and drink more water you will be ecstatic at the amount of milk that you produce. I you are consistent you may have to store some in the freezer.