JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f121-btdt-moms-advice-for-new-moms/)
-   -   Baby and sleeping - please help!! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f121-btdt-moms-advice-for-new-moms/1857109-baby-and-sleeping-please-help.html)

Daizyjc January 31st, 2010 12:34 PM

Baby and sleeping - please help!!

So my daughter is eight weeks old and since we came home from the hospital she has been sleeping not only in me and my husbands bed but on my chest! This was not out of choice but out of necessity as it was the only way she, thus I, would sleep. Now, she will not sleep anywhere but on our chest. When we try to put her down she immediately wakes, deep sleep or not. If she doesn't wake immediately she startles herself awake. She HATES being swaddled so that's out. I have tried every trick in the book. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if your little ones just grew out of it or what happened?

Another problem is she has the HARDEST time falling asleep, she's obviously tired and crying because she's tired but will not fall asleep. And if she does she wakes up wailing minutes later. It's an hours battle getting her to sleep. For this reason I don't want to try putting her in her bassinet and if she wakes soothe her back to sleep over and over until she is out because if she wakes onceis another half hour at least until she's asleep again.

Any advice would be great. TIA!

MommyRR February 16th, 2010 07:10 AM

Re: Baby and sleeping - please help!!

It sounds like she is used to sleeping on you, unfortunately you will have to train her to go to sleep on her own. 8 weeks is a good time to start. When she acts tired try putting her in the bassinet so she can learn to sooth herself to sleep. This may take awhile to learn, but it will be worth it.

PS: I got this info off of a baby story on TLC this morning LOL!!! Will put it into practice when Calli is 8 wks

JessP May 5th, 2010 10:11 PM

My sister is having this problem. Her daughter is 18 months now and still won't sleep alone. But she didn't start until closer to a year. I would say you need to start sooner rather than later. And its going to be tough on all of you for a bit. You could probably start about 3 months if you are just not up for doing it now. My daughter slept with us for a couple months in the very beginning but always napped in her crib. I hope you find something that works for you guys. If you don't use a pacifier or something it might be worth looking at, or a noise machine. Good luck.

MommaTrish May 6th, 2010 07:55 PM

If you look in baby stores they have noise machines made especially for babies used to sleeping on parents (or just JUST born) and it has a setting that sounds like a heartbeat. That worked wonders with my oldest. They also, but I don't think they do anymore, had this type of wedge thing. It had a wedge on each side with a piece of fabric connecting them on the bottom with velcro on the bottom of one side that attached to the wedge. You positioned it so that when the baby was laying it fit close but not too snuggly and he loved that too.

GH1991 May 8th, 2010 04:22 PM

I had this problem this is what I did it may not work for you, warning if trying this have moset basket/crib etc... ready beside you

when he was asleep (fast asleep) I would put my arm up next to him whilst he was on my chest ready to support him then I would turn slowly to my side so that he was sideways on my arm but still close to my chest he would usually open his eyes see my chest and go straight back to sleep then I would wait awhile then be able to put him in moset basket but would keep arm close so he could still smell me.

gradually this came to a point where I could put him down and keep my arm there and he'd be fine to just putting him down but him being able to see me to him laying beside me to go sleep to being in his own cot without me even being in the room.

It was a long process and he didn't stop co-sleeping til 7 months and he still joins me in the morning but we are getting there.

Hope this helps. x

MommyToTwo July 9th, 2010 08:58 PM

My son was exactly the same way, pretty much from day 1. He refused to sleep on his back or even on his side. I was so scared of putting him on his belly that I ended up spending more nights than not with him on chest sleeping. At 4 months we finally decided enough was enough and put him on his belly in his crib to sleep and he slept through the night. I was such a nervous wreck I slept on a chaise in his room for a while.

Occasionally he'd sleep in between my husband and I in bed. We had a sleep positioner that had an incline that we put up near the top of the bed, so he'd be right next to my head. Co-sleeping worked for me because I'm a light sleeper to begin with. The second he moved, I was awake.

I really hope you find a solution that works for you! I know how frustrating it is! It won't last forever.

8miraclez July 10th, 2010 09:56 PM

I hope you find something that works. Sleep issues is the one thing that we still struggle with. Some of my kids love to sleep on their own while others still think they have to sleep with me. I've had good sleepers and bad sleepers and I never did anything different, except maybe the amount of crying that occurred (from them and me :)
They do make co-sleepers that go in your bed. That may help. The other thing is you may be trying to move her too soon. You think she is in deep sleep but she probably isn't. The thing is, if she doesn't learn to GO to sleep without you there, then when she wakes up, she'll expect you to still be there.
Try going to the library or bookstore and find some books on babies sleep. I have a couple and have just had to try different things until I found something that would work for that baby.