JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/)
-   -   Really Good Recipes! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/2625185-really-good-recipes.html)

Jessimaaka February 13th, 2013 01:16 PM

Really Good Recipes!

Feel free to add some of your favourite recipes to share with us!

mccaroline February 13th, 2013 02:36 PM

Re: Really Good Recipes!

Mushroom Lasagna

INGREDIENTS:
no-boil lasagna noodles
2-3 large clove garlic, minced
4 cups milk
3/4 cup butter, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
dash salt and pepper
1 1/2 pounds cremini or baby bella mushrooms (or a combination of both)
1 1/2 cups freshly grated mozzarella cheese (I use a lot more than that)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 375F.

In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons or 1 stick) butter. Add the flour and cook for one minute over low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Pour in the milk, a little at a time at first and whisking until combined. Once you’ve added half of it, you can add the second half all at once, along with the salt and pepper. Cook the white sauce over medium-low heat, stirring or whisking frequently, anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes, or until thick. Set aside.

To prepare the mushrooms, slice the mushrooms 1/4-inch thick, trimming stems if desired. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, until they are tender and release some of their juices. Stir occasionally to make sure they cook evenly.

To assemble the lasagna, use a 9X13-inch baking dish. Spread 1/4 cup or so of the white sauce in the bottom of the dish. Arrange a layer of noodles on top, then more sauce (about 1/4 of what remains), 1/3 of the mushrooms and 1/3 or so of the grated cheese. Repeat two more times then top with a final layer of noodles, your remaining sauce and last of the cheese.

Bake the lasagna for 45 minutes, or until top is browned and the sauce is bubbly.

CREAM CHEESE ROLL UPS

Ingredients
8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp. Tex Mex Seasoning Blend (I use Clubhouse, but pick your favourite, the original recipe also calls for 2 Tbsp, but I find that overpowering)
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 large red pepper, finely chopped
4 large flour tortillas

Directions
1. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except tortillas.
2. Divide mixture into four. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture on each flour tortilla. Starting at one end, gently roll tortillas into a tight tube. Wrap and chill until ready to serve.
3. To serve, unwrap roll, trim edges of tortilla and slice into eight 1" (2.5cm) slices.

Jessimaaka February 13th, 2013 05:12 PM

Best whole chicken in the crockpot. All the prep can be done the night before and take 2 seconds in the morning to throw it in the crockpot and turn it on for 8 hours! We do this once a week now.

First combine spices in a bowl for the rub.

3 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper

Clean your chicken and remove giblets and neck. Put the chicken in a large ziploc bag and dump the spice mixture into the bag. Shake it up so the whole chicken is covered in the spice mixture and let marinate over night in the fridge. Dice up 1/2 onion and put at the bottom of the crock pot. Place spiced chicken on top of onions breast down. Set on low for 8 hours and walk away.

Easy peasy!

mccaroline February 13th, 2013 05:16 PM

Hmm, I swear those were two separate posts, one for each recipe.

Thanks for the chicken one, I've always wanted to do a chicken in the crock pot but never knew how.

Jessimaaka February 19th, 2013 03:20 PM

I find if your posts are within like 5 minutes of each other, and you haven't posted on another thread, JM tends to combine them.

Seriously the best crock pot chicken ever!!! No need to add water or any liquid at all. I was skeptical at first, but its true!

Here's another of our favourites:

Life as a Lofthouse (Food Blog): Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken with Fried Rice

Quote:

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken

The chicken coating:

3-4 boneless chicken breasts
salt + pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

The sweet and sour sauce:

3/4 cup sugar
4 tbs ketchup
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt

Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Rinse your chicken breasts in water and then cut into cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs. Heat your 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through. Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Mix all of your sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken. Bake for one hour and during the baking process you will need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes. Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken

The chicken coating:

3-4 boneless chicken breasts
salt + pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

The sweet and sour sauce:

3/4 cup sugar
4 tbs ketchup
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt

Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Rinse your chicken breasts in water and then cut into cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs. Heat your 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through. Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Mix all of your sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken. Bake for one hour and during the baking process you will need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes.

MrsOrganization2011 February 20th, 2013 10:14 AM

Beef & Broccoli
1 Serving (I usually quadruple to feed DH & I and have left overs)

4oz beef (I use stir-fry strips)
1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp brown sugar substitute
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
medium carrot, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh broccoli florets
1 tsp corn starch
1 Tbsp cold water

1. In a bowl stir together soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar substitute, garlic and cayenne pepper
2. Mix in meat to coat
3. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes
4. Coat skillet with nonfat cooking spray and heat over medium high heat
5. Add sauce mixture & meat
6. Cook until meat is no longer pink
7. Add vegetables and cook until vegetables are tender
8. Stir together cornstarch and water
9. Stir into skillet and cook until thickened
10. Serve over brown rice

*** I also sometimes substitute the vegetables listed above for 1 - 2 bags of Compliments Steamer Vegetables in which case I cook everything except the vegetables. I steam the vegetables in the microwave and add them at the end just to coat

Jessimaaka February 20th, 2013 01:08 PM

I have everything on that list except the beef! And I want to make it tonight! I LOVE beef and broccoli :)

Jessimaaka March 11th, 2013 06:10 PM

Chicken Quesadillas

6 flour tortillas
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (I make mine with this recipe: The Best Shredded Chicken For Your Chicken Dishes + Homemade Chicken Broth)
2 cups shredded cheese
cup diced red pepper
⅓ cup diced onion
Salsa and sour cream for serving

For each quesadilla, place about 1/4 cup shredded cheese on one half of the tortilla. Top with about 1/4 cup chicken, a couple tablespoons of peppers and a sprinkle of onions. Add a little more cheese if you like. Fold the tortilla over and place into a medium-hot pan with olive oil. Cook until the first side is golden brown, then flip and cook until the other side is browned and the cheese is melted throughout. Remove from pan, slice into quarters and serve with salsa and sour cream on the side. Enjoy!

Ever April 9th, 2013 10:08 AM

Restaurant-Style Buffalo Chicken Wings

Ingredients
oil for deep frying
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup hot sauce
1 dash ground black pepper
1 dash garlic powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 chicken wings

Directions
1. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). The oil should be just enough to cover wings entirely, an inch or so deep. Combine the butter, hot sauce, pepper and garlic powder in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir together and heat until butter is melted and mixture is well blended. Remove from heat and reserve for serving.

2. In a small bowl mix together the flour, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Place chicken wings in a large nonporous glass dish or bowl and sprinkle flour mixture over them until they are evenly coated. Cover dish or bowl and refrigerate for 60 to 90 minutes.

3. Fry coated wings in hot oil for 10 to 15 minutes, or until parts of wings begin to turn brown. Remove from heat, place wings in serving bowl, add hot sauce mixture and stir together. Serve.

** I actually don't have a deep fryer so I do these in the oven and it's healthier anyway. Heat it to 350, cook it till golden brown and flip them halfway through cooking. I use a large roasting pan and put just enough oil so that it runs the pan if you tip it, if you know what I mean. You can use whatever sauce on these you prefer. I use BBQ sauce for my daughter but DH and I like the buffalo!

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Ingredients
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 small carrot, chopped finely
Splash of olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk, room temperature
1/2 pound chopped frozen or fresh broccoli
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 pound of cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
1. Heat olive oil in soup pot on medium low heat.

2. Add onion, carrot, and salt. Saute until onions and carrots are soft.

3. In separate pot, melt butter on medium low heat.

4. Add flour to melted butter a bit at a time. Mix well to prevent lumps.

5. Cook flour and butter mixture for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

6. Slowly add milk to flour and butter, mixing thoroughly as you go to remove lumps.

7. When all the milk is added, return it to the heat, and gently warm it up.

8. When the milk, butter and flour mixture (white sauce) is hot, begin to add the cheese a bit at a time. Allow it to melt in before adding more.

9. When onions and carrots are done cooking, add chicken stock and broccoli. Turn up heat to medium-high.

10. Slowly add the cheese sauce to the soup, mixing thoroughly as you do so to avoid lumps.

11. Add pepper, and more salt if necessary.

Ever April 9th, 2013 10:14 AM

Oven Ribs

Ingredients
2 cups sliced onions
2 cups ketchup
2 cups water
4 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
4 teaspoons dry mustard
4 pounds pork spareribs

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, combine onions, ketchup, water, salt, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and mustard. Remove membrane on the ribs. Split ribs down the center between the bones.

3. Heat a large lightly oiled skillet over medium-high heat. Add ribs and sear until browned. This may have to be done in several batches.

4. Place ribs in a single layer in two baking pan or casserole dish. Pour half of the sauce over the ribs, reserve remainder.

5. Bake ribs in preheated oven for 3 hours. Turn and baste meat every twenty minutes with remaining sauce, using all sauce by two hours. Continue turning and basting ribs using sauce in the pan during the last hour of baking.

Jessimaaka April 9th, 2013 06:57 PM

Yum Renee! Those all sound amazing...I think I have to put ribs on my shopping list this week!

Ever April 9th, 2013 07:05 PM

I love those ribs!! They're fall-off-the-bone tender everytime. :)